Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth removing the wall connector when moving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SCTes1aMan

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2022
Myrtle Beach, SC
I had my wall connector installed shortly before we decided to sell our home and we're likely moving to a condo so I wasn't too concerned about leaving it behind but the buyer has no interest in using it. Leave it or take it, what do you think?

If you are handy, take it and put it on ebay or something. Clearly don't pay anyone to remove it. Cap the wires and tuck them into the junction box(if there is one!) and put a blank plate over it. If there's no junction box, I'm not sure I'd remove it. Sure, you could disconnect the wires in the panel, but then you also need to deal with fixing the hole in the wall where the HPWC was. None of this really counts if its a conduitted installation, where there will always be somewhere you can put the wires.

Might also want to ask if the new owners will be wanting a 14-50 or other big-ish outlet there. It'd be a good time to make the switch.

Make sure the new owners aren't expecting it to stay anyway. Since its permanently mounted, it's probably gotta be called out as "not included in sale" in the P+S.

Reactions: SCTes1aMan
If it was a J1772, my answer would definitely have been "leave it". This is what I did in my last house, even though I knew I would need a charging station at my new house (although my plan was to rebuild my J1772 splitter into one that plugged into a NEMA 14-50 rather than used a host EVSE to power it). Our buyers were not interested either, but I figured I would lower the barrier for them to consider an EV in the future, and besides, removing it would have left a hole in the wall.

With the wall connector, again, you could potentially reduce the barrier for the new owner to consider an EV (a barrier that's already significantly lower these days compared to 5.5 years ago when we sold our house). Of course in your case, it's for a Tesla (unless they are willing to buy an adapter), so not quite as universal as a J1772.

If you are prepared to part with the wall connector anyway, I would leave it behind. They may not appreciate it right now, but in the next few years, I bet they will thank you for leaving it.

Your alternative is to remove it and then sell it as used. Sure, you'd make a little cash on it, but for me any way, helping promote EV adoption is worth the couple hundred $$ you might get for it.

If you are handy, take it and put it on ebay or something. Clearly don't pay anyone to remove it. Cap the wires and tuck them into the junction box(if there is one!) and put a blank plate over it. If there's no junction box, I'm not sure I'd remove it. Sure, you could disconnect the wires in the panel, but then you also need to deal with fixing the hole in the wall where the HPWC was. None of this really counts if its a conduitted installation, where there will always be somewhere you can put the wires.

Might also want to ask if the new owners will be wanting a 14-50 or other big-ish outlet there. It'd be a good time to make the switch.

Make sure the new owners aren't expecting it to stay anyway. Since its permanently mounted, it's probably gotta be called out as "not included in sale" in the P+S.

If it was a J1772, my answer would definitely have been "leave it". This is what I did in my last house, even though I knew I would need a charging station at my new house (although my plan was to rebuild my J1772 splitter into one that plugged into a NEMA 14-50 rather than used a host EVSE to power it). Our buyers were not interested either, but I figured I would lower the barrier for them to consider an EV in the future, and besides, removing it would have left a hole in the wall.

With the wall connector, again, you could potentially reduce the barrier for the new owner to consider an EV (a barrier that's already significantly lower these days compared to 5.5 years ago when we sold our house). Of course in your case, it's for a Tesla (unless they are willing to buy an adapter), so not quite as universal as a J1772.

If you are prepared to part with the wall connector anyway, I would leave it behind. They may not appreciate it right now, but in the next few years, I bet they will thank you for leaving it.

Your alternative is to remove it and then sell it as used. Sure, you'd make a little cash on it, but for me any way, helping promote EV adoption is worth the couple hundred $$ you might get for it.
Thank you both. I hate the situation I'm in but I'm selling to Home Partners of America and they pay a premium with cash. If you're not familiar with them they're buying up homes all over the country and they rent them at ridiculous amounts and they do rent to own as well. They've listed everything that they want and they said they were not interested in the charger but they also didn't request that I remove it. I think I'll leave it and hopefully one day it's used by a renter or new owner.

Nothing like ordering your first Tesla and deciding to sell your home a week later. lol But we're moving over to the beach so I'll take the tradeoff.

Reactions: theothertom
I'd probably take it with me. You would probably have to cap it off with a junction box cover and wire nuts on the wires.
I'd write "240v EV charging connection" with a Sharpie on the box cover. That will have almost the same EVangelical benefit and you'll save money if/when you install a charger at your new place.

They've listed everything that they want and they said they were not interested in the charger but they also didn't request that I remove it.
Everytime at visit an Open House for sale, I always ask about the garage and circuit breaker panel locations.
The real estate person always told me "You must have a Tesla?"
I'm surprised that having an EV charger is not considere as a must.

Not surprised, EV sales are not even 5% of all vehicles sold in the US (was like 2% just recently). Maybe when we get to 30-40% penetration it'll be considered a must. Until then, just a wasted expense for most homeowners. And OP, take that thing with you. ;)

Tim
Don't be too pessimistic. When we sold our last house, I'm quite sure the solar and EV charger (we left our 'free' Blink piece of junk) intrigued the husband enough to over-rule the wife who didn't like the tiny kitchen. They paid nicely for it.
While 5% of sales today, they're heavily researched and over ~50% (various studies disagree on exact number) of people say they would be interested in one.
That's why I recommend the OP capitalize on it without losing money:
I'd write "240v EV charging connection" with a Sharpie on the box cover.
Win-win-win: win 1) OP keeps charger. win 2) new owner has cheap install opportunity. win 3)sowing seeds about EVs (we all win a bit).