Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth to try to ask Tesla to sort rattles as warranty!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a a set of chirps and squeaks on my MY's front passenger side that varied with speed and road roughness as well as with temperature to some extent (i.e., think about compression and expansion).

I poked around and figured out it was the front passenger side interior door trim not being fully secured into the connectors. One could see a larger-than-normal gap between it and the metal interior of the door, especially at the front bottom near the speaker. I made a mobile service appointment asking them to take care of the gap and secure all that stuff, and it worked. Got rid of it in my case.

You’d know if you had it, every flex in the car as you hit an uneven part of the road you’d hear it, but it does seem linked to temperature. My gummi fleg thing has turned up today so will be trying that over the week
By temperature related, do you mean it only rattles when the cabin is warm? Mine has no rattles other than when the cabin is hot... I've been trying to locate it for a while now. It's at the front, behind the dash or possibly from the roof.

By temperature related, do you mean it only rattles when the cabin is warm? Mine has no rattles other than when the cabin is hot... I've been trying to locate it for a while now. It's at the front, behind the dash or possibly from the roof.
No, it’s more like when the sun comes out and heats the roof. My hunch is the glass and the metal frame expand at different rates causing stress which when the car bumps over something, the car flex’s which causes the noise. If it’s all very warm or cool it doesn’t seem to happen. I’m trying the rubber treatment in case it’s the frame with the door glass, it’s got to be worth a try.

No, it’s more like when the sun comes out and heats the roof. My hunch is the glass and the metal frame expand at different rates causing stress which when the car bumps over something, the car flex’s which causes the noise. If it’s all very warm or cool it doesn’t seem to happen. I’m trying the rubber treatment in case it’s the frame with the door glass, it’s got to be worth a try.
Interesting, that's sounds like a possibility although certainly different from what I'm experiencing on my MY. I might raise service appointment and see what they have to say. Let us know how the rubber treatment goes!

I’ve just spent the last 15 mins prodding and poking various bits of trim, seats and seals trying to locate a similar rattle/squeak I have on our 3 month old, Chinese built Model 3 RW. It's somewhere near my rear, passenger side door. I’ve driven less than 1.5K miles.

I knew Teslas had bad build quality but I’m amazed by how flimsy some of the bits of plastic are around the doors and windows. I can rattle and move bits of trim back and forth to the point I’m wondering if they’re even attached.

I came across two white plastic catches loosely holding down the rear seat bench. I re-seated the seat to see if it helps, but one side still has about a 5mm of play. This is the same side as the rattle/squeak. For now I’ve wedged a towel under the seat to see if it helps.

Bizarrely all the trim etc on the passenger rear area is just that little be looser than the right side. Even the rear passenger window makes a louder squeak than the others (silicon spray is in the post). Perhaps the Chinese team working on the passenger-side of the production line we’re having a bad day.

I’m reluctant to book the car in with Tesla incase they make things worse. However it's looking like I have little choice.