Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth to upgrade my 2020 Model 3 LR AWD to 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, need your advice on whether it’s worth the extra 13000 to upgrade my 2020 Model 3 LR AWD with FSD to 2022 (same setup). I need to decide whether to spend 54000 to buy out my 2020 Model 3 lease (with 18k miles) or spend an extra 13k for the 2022 version. I know the new 2022 model 3 has 30 more miles range, 8 cuft more trunk space, heat pump, and some other minor enhancements…but do they worth the extra 13000? Thanks in advance for your advice.

I mean thats up to you. I'm not sure i would.
Besides the stuff you mentioned, you would also get:
Ryzen chip for the MCU
Blacked out trim instead of chrome
Wireless chargers
12v Li-ion battery
and im sure others will chime in on other things.

Reactions: Ming Gong
What will your current 3 be worth at the end of the lease?

If you decide to buy a new 3, save $6k by buying EAP instead of FSD. You can always subscribe to FSD later when it’s worth doing. I think it’s $100/month if you already have EAP.

The heat pump is especially useful for people that live in cold climates as you lose less range for heating the cabin in winter. In LA I doubt you will see significant benefits. It's the first time I hear about a bigger trunk...are you sure about that? 8 cubic feet is a lot, isn't that the model Y you're comparing with?

"Worth it" is always a subjective thing. Is a new car (2 years younger), 30 miles of range, a snappier interface and some minor / cosmetic upgrades worth 13kUSD to you?

The heat pump is especially useful for people that live in cold climates as you lose less range for heating the cabin in winter. In LA I doubt you will see significant benefits. It's the first time I hear about a bigger trunk...are you sure about that? 8 cubic feet is a lot, isn't that the model Y you're comparing with?

"Worth it" is always a subjective thing. Is a new car (2 years younger), 30 miles of range, a snappier interface and some minor / cosmetic upgrades worth 13kUSD to you?
Ya i think it was the model Y. And i don't think the space actually increased, i think before they didn't count the sub-trunk space and now they do. So, it's the same amount of space as before, but they just count it all now.

Reactions: GtiMart
What will your current 3 be worth at the end of the lease?

If you decide to buy a new 3, save $6k by buying EAP instead of FSD. You can always subscribe to FSD later when it’s worth doing. I think it’s $100/month if you already have EAP.
’ve been driving using the FSD beta for a couple months now…while it’s not perfect yet, it’s pretty amazing already and very useful. I recently used it to ease my 110 miles commute for 2 weeks straight. I definitely would get FSD if I get a new car.

Reactions: Ogre
Ya i think it was the model Y. And i don't think the space actually increased, i think before they didn't count the sub-trunk space and now they do. So, it's the same amount of space as before, but they just count it all now.
Sub-Trunk? That makes more sense…I was wondering how they are able to squeeze 8 more from the same car form factor. thx!

Reactions: Carolina Karl

Wow..tough choice. Thx for your input.

I need to decide whether to spend 54000 to buy out my 2020 Model 3 lease

Unless something has changed very recently, model 3 leases can not be purchased by the person leasing them (or by a third party dealer). The usual usage of "buy out my lease" is usually translated to "purchase my lease". If thats what you mean, you are not able to do that, so its not an option for you.

The options you have are to turn in the lease early and buy a new car (whichever car it is), take your lease to term and then buy a new car at that point, or put your lease on a lease take over platform and try to get someone to take it over.

’ve been driving using the FSD beta for a couple months now…while it’s not perfect yet, it’s pretty amazing already and very useful. I recently used it to ease my 110 miles commute for 2 weeks straight. I definitely would get FSD if I get a new car.
You didn't mention you had FSD Beta earlier. Keep in mind that if you get a different Tesla, you might need to re-qualify for the FSD Beta and go through the same process you went through the first time, assuming Tesla doesn't open things up before then. I don't know if other owners have been able to get FSD Beta access transferred to a new vehicle, but others here who know can weigh in.

Also, if you decide to upgrade, you might want to wait a bit and see if the Tesla offers the Owner Loyalty Perks that they started offering in China recently, including a 50% discount on FSD among other things.

Unless something has changed very recently, model 3 leases can not be purchased by the person leasing them (or by a third party dealer). The usual usage of "buy out my lease" is usually translated to "purchase my lease". If thats what you mean, you are not able to do that, so its not an option for you.

The options you have are to turn in the lease early and buy a new car (whichever car it is), take your lease to term and then buy a new car at that point, or put your lease on a lease take over platform and try to get someone to take it over.
I got the lease through my companies' lease program (via 3rd party). So essentially I was leasing from the 3rd party (not Tesla)...thus the option.

Given that, what would you do?

I personally dont think there is any good values in new cars right now, and I personally certainly would not do this to change to the same model. I personally have a 2018 model 3 Performance, and there is not enough difference for me to consider selling it and buying a 2022 model of the same car... and thats the same thing you seem to be contemplating.

It also depends on what has happened (if anything) with the current vehicle, when the lease ends etc.

Can you extend the lease till next year? If so, I would do that and then buy a new one at that time. Failing that, If I "had to" make a choice now due to lease ending right now, I would likely punt and see if I could lease another one under the same terms I leased previously.

I personally dont think there is any good values in new cars right now, and I personally certainly would not do this to change to the same model. I personally have a 2018 model 3 Performance, and there is not enough difference for me to consider selling it and buying a 2022 model of the same car... and thats the same thing you seem to be contemplating.

It also depends on what has happened (if anything) with the current vehicle, when the lease ends etc.

Can you extend the lease till next year? If so, I would do that and then buy a new one at that time. Failing that, If I "had to" make a choice now due to lease ending right now, I would likely punt and see if I could lease another one under the same terms I leased previously.
thank you for your perspective. I am leaning towards keeping my model 3. if wasn't for the ending of this lease, I wouldn't even be thinking about this topic. I am VERY HAPPY with my tesla. when my son graduate from college and we give him our Lexus SUV, we will be buying a Model Y. :)

thank you for your perspective. I am leaning towards keeping my model 3. if wasn't for the ending of this lease, I wouldn't even be thinking about this topic. I am VERY HAPPY with my tesla. when my son graduate from college and we give him our Lexus SUV, we will be buying a Model Y. :)

My wifes 2019 X3 Lease ended in dec of 2021, and we bought the car off lease (which actually made financial sense at the time, unlike what normally happens with BMW leases). We also placed an order for a model Y in Jan of this year and took delivery of it in March. We sold the X3 separately (we didnt trade it in, was worth more selling to one of the online services).

My wife and I are empty nesters, and now are an all EV family with a model 3 and Y. Shes extremely happy with the model Y, happier than I remember her being with the X3, and we Ordered the X3 in the colors we wanted, with all the options we wanted (which was all of them, basically).

My wifes 2019 X3 Lease ended in dec of 2021, and we bought the car off lease (which actually made financial sense at the time, unlike what normally happens with BMW leases). We also placed an order for a model Y in Jan of this year and took delivery of it in March. We sold the X3 separately (we didnt trade it in, was worth more selling to one of the online services).

My wife and I are empty nesters, and now are an all EV family with a model 3 and Y. Shes extremely happy with the model Y, happier than I remember her being with the X3, and we Ordered the X3 in the colors we wanted, with all the options we wanted (which was all of them, basically).
love it! my wife is not a car person at all and fell in love with our 3 very quickly. :) we will be a 3/Y family in a couple of years too. it's very rare to experience a product at such an emotional level. Love Elon, Tesla and our community!

Reactions: SpGator