Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is KBB crazy... or am I?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering selling my Model X P90DL with all the options (yes I know there's a forum for that, but I'm not actually selling it here). I went to Kelly Blue Book, and the "fair market price" they quote (for 6500 miles) is $146k to $151k...
THAT'S WHAT I PAID FOR IT.
Obviously this can't be right, and I'm assuming that KBB doesn't have enough experience with Model X's to provide accurate numbers. Does anyone know where I can find a reliably accurate sale/trade-in values for Model X? Is there a used Tesla market calculator out there somewhere that I'm not finding?

Thanks,
Mike

just a quick question.Why are you selling it?
Thinking about upgrading to the P100D with enhanced Autopilot.
When I purchased this one in August 2016, Tesla was talking about the upcoming upgrade to full autonomous driving and I assumed it would be an over-the-air upgrade. Discovering that my Tesla did not have the hardware required (and wasn't capable of being upgraded) was disappointing. (I know. I should have realized.)
Anyway, the autonomous hardware (and increased battery/range) is primarily what I'm upgrading for. Otherwise I'm thrilled to death with the car.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Thinking about upgrading to the P100D with enhanced Autopilot.
When I purchased this one in August 2016, Tesla was talking about the upcoming upgrade to full autonomous driving and I assumed it would be an over-the-air upgrade. Discovering that my Tesla did not have the hardware required (and wasn't capable of being upgraded) was disappointing. (I know. I should have realized.)
Anyway, the autonomous hardware (and increased battery/range) is primarily what I'm upgrading for. Otherwise I'm thrilled to death with the car.

Might want to wait before heading down that route. There's plenty of legal and political dismay going on that's preventing Tesla from fully releasing this "upgrade." Not to mention that Elon has stated several times that Tesla is still months (if not longer) away from it being ready for public use.

It is not certain that the new version of Autopilot will be any better than the one you are using right now.

And on the full autonomous driving, I think it more vaporware than anything at this time, and I wouldn't be surprised if we learnt that the current generation of AP2 cars are incapable of anything more than Level 3, which is a far cry from autonomous driving.

Reactions: yak-55
Also, before the end of the year, both Model-X and Model-S are supposed to switch to the new 2170-cell batteries. There might be a weight loss which should help improve range. I would wait for that, and the rumored V3 SuperCharging.

Keep your P90DL for now. It's worth $100-110k. Tesla will give you $90k for it which is an insult. Keep it because you have already paid the extreme depreciation. The next few years will have reasonable depreciation in comparison.

If you don't care about losing $50k, then trade it in... though you'll lose another $50k in depreciation when the next biggest thing is released. On second thought, I think the early P90DLs lost a lot because of questionable quality/reliability... so perhaps the new ones won't lose as much because it has improved.

Thanks for all the info & advice. I know you can't be on the tech edge for very long these days, but always waiting for the "latest" upgrade means you'll wait forever. It would be great to know what's on the horizon to help decide when to jump, but it's hard to find concrete info on planned or upcoming advancements from Tesla. As I stated, I was bummed that I got my MX shortly before the 100kwh battery and AP2 hardware. I would have waited a few months if I'd known it was coming.
Still considering upgrading, but not likely after reading all these responses. Plus my vehicle has (so far) been blessed with no bugs or issues.
Now, if anyone wants to offer the KBB price of $145k, I might reconsider. ;)

How much is the future of value impacted by grandfathered unlimited supercharging vs not ?
Probably a little, but for the most part, unlimited supercharging won't make much of a difference. Even if you used supercharging constantly, you're only "saving" pennies in comparison to the value of the car.

So far the major price shifts have occurred because of AP1, the facelift, and AP2.

I'd agree with most on here in that waiting is probably good for now as it will be a while before AP2 can do much more than AP1 does due to regulations and tech - Tesla is much slower than they say. Their cool write-up on what AP2 will do is crazy, doubting all that will ever be possible with the AP2 hardware suite. Need to wait and see what becomes required for full autonomous potentially, e.g. say LIDAR becomes a requirement, or communications, or some other oddball government requirement/standard.

Tempting to us as well but going to wait it out for AP3.0 or more, even more range possibly, and faster charging will come for sure in time.

I'd just enjoy the current car for about 1-3 more years, then you'd be well past that horrid 1st and bad 2nd year of depreciation as well.