Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is KBB price grounds for negotiating 2017 model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used 2017 Model X, over 88k miles, priced ~$59k,
Includes both Autopilot 2.0 and Full SelfDriving Capability.

Carfax looks good. Photos and dealer indicate car is in great shape, but I do see some internal usage wear on the seats, steering wheel, etc.. I cannot go see the car in person.

KBB estimates price should be no more than $56k (and then only if in great condition).
Consumer Reports notes that there is significant reliability issues with internal electronics.
Should I try to negotiate down? Should I avoid and buy something with a warranty (but much more expensive) from Tesla?

I welcome your input - its a big decision.

Used 2017 Model X, over 88k miles, priced ~$59k,
Includes both Autopilot 2.0 and Full SelfDriving Capability....
Consumer Reports notes that there is significant reliability issues with internal electronics.
Should I try to negotiate down? Should I avoid and buy something with a warranty (but much more expensive) from Tesla?

I welcome your input - its a big decision.
The decision on whether to buy a used car with relatively high miles, to me, boils down to your tolerance for risk and uncertainty. This is true for any car, not just a Tesla. I would not buy any car approaching 100,000 miles without money set aside for some repairs, which can be pricey. Also, be sure of what features the car really has - there were still ala cart options when 2017 2.0 X’s were being sold and several different permutations of what the premium package included, if it has that.

My judgement would be to go with a new Model X, if that is a financial option. They now come loaded with everything that used to be an option, a much better 17” screen speed due to faster processor, the increased range (especially compared to whatever battery degradation the 88k miles has), and some minor style changes on the inside (such as matte instead of shiny seat backs). You would have 4 years or 50,000 miles of warranty and isn’t free supercharging still a thing for new X’s?

Yes, try and negotiate. As mentioned, try to get specifics on the loadout (premium upgrade with Biohazard? Vented seats? Glossy or matte seatbacks?

Specifically because the vehicle is being sold in a different location, you can try the tactic my coworker has successfully done - "Mr. Dealer, my out the door price is $XXk. If you agree, I'm buying a ticket to fly there and pick it up tomorrow. If I get there and something is up that I can't accept, I'm out my roundtrip airfare, but that's my risk to get you to accept my offer."

Yes, try and negotiate. As mentioned, try to get specifics on the loadout (premium upgrade with Biohazard? Vented seats? Glossy or matte seatbacks?

Specifically because the vehicle is being sold in a different location, you can try the tactic my coworker has successfully done - "Mr. Dealer, my out the door price is $XXk. If you agree, I'm buying a ticket to fly there and pick it up tomorrow. If I get there and something is up that I can't accept, I'm out my roundtrip airfare, but that's my risk to get you to accept my offer."

Thats a great idea- thank you!

The decision on whether to buy a used car with relatively high miles, to me, boils down to your tolerance for risk and uncertainty. This is true for any car, not just a Tesla. I would not buy any car approaching 100,000 miles without money set aside for some repairs, which can be pricey. Also, be sure of what features the car really has - there were still ala cart options when 2017 2.0 X’s were being sold and several different permutations of what the premium package included, if it has that.

My judgement would be to go with a new Model X, if that is a financial option. They now come loaded with everything that used to be an option, a much better 17” screen speed due to faster processor, the increased range (especially compared to whatever battery degradation the 88k miles has), and some minor style changes on the inside (such as matte instead of shiny seat backs). You would have 4 years or 50,000 miles of warranty and isn’t free supercharging still a thing for new X’s?

Oh I wish - but this is exactly the sanity check I wanted. I was figuring if I could get it for a low enough price, I could afford the repairs... but then theres the time in the shop to figure into it as well. Thank you!