Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is leaving Tesla plugged in while not charging really beneficial?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen no evidence that charging at 30 amps vs 40 (I charge at 48) is better for the battery. 40 amps is only 9.6kW, 48 is 11.5kW. Even at 48 amps, that's less than 1/6c. Peak supercharger power is 250kW, over 3c. 3c is pretty rough on a battery, 1/6c is not.

I just leave my HPWC at 48 amps, plug in every day, and set my departure to 6:00 so my higher SoC is held for a shorter time.
It's easier on the onboard AC charger. It maxes out at 48 amps and you're running it full tilt.

Is there any evidence that the onboard chargers are failing at a higher rate when charging at 48 amps? (I'm not trying to be argumentative; I like data to drive decisions.)
I haven't seen anything on that anywhere. I also would imagine that there would be something about that in the Owner's Manual. It's pretty detailed regarding recommendations about battery care, and if this was really something to be concerned about, then you'd think they would have called it out as a recommendation. Or even limit charging to less than 48 amps via SW update.

Is there any evidence that the onboard chargers are failing at a higher rate when charging at 48 amps? (I'm not trying to be argumentative; I like data to drive decisions.)
i think theres data out there that charging at 48A is less efficient on your home wiring.. i^2 * t and all (also dependent on your feeder size).. if youre not worried about the minor difference in the cost of electricity though it probably doesnt matter

Reactions: zoomer0056
i think theres data out there that charging at 48A is less efficient on your home wiring.. i^2 * t and all (also dependent on your feeder size).. if youre not worried about the minor difference in the cost of electricity though it probably doesnt matter
I’d question whether any losses from increased resistance would be enough to overcome the 250-300w overhead of powering the car and charging circuitry over the longer period necessary to charge more slowly.

So here is a question regarding a situation that some people like me might have. Primarily I WFH and go into the office twice a week. At work, I have free charging. Unless we go away, we typically don’t put a lot of miles on the Tesla during the week. When I get to work, if I’m at 75%, it’s hard to justify taking up the charger space for just a 5% charge. If I plug in the car every night, I will never get the charge low enough to justify it either. I would rather not charge at home so when I get to work, I might have 50-60% which would justify plugging it in. Since the charge is always pretty high, I don’t have a concern of risk of draining the battery for 2 or 3 nights.

Anyone else have this issue? Any recommendations? I was wondering if I could plug it in and setting charge limit to 50% (even if there is 75% charge on the batteries).

So here is a question regarding a situation that some people like me might have. Primarily I WFH and go into the office twice a week. At work, I have free charging. Unless we go away, we typically don’t put a lot of miles on the Tesla during the week. When I get to work, if I’m at 75%, it’s hard to justify taking up the charger space for just a 5% charge. If I plug in the car every night, I will never get the charge low enough to justify it either. I would rather not charge at home so when I get to work, I might have 50-60% which would justify plugging it in. Since the charge is always pretty high, I don’t have a concern of risk of draining the battery for 2 or 3 nights.

Anyone else have this issue? Any recommendations? I was wondering if I could plug it in and setting charge limit to 50% (even if there is 75% charge on the batteries).
If you want to plug in each night but not charge when the battery is already at a decent state of charge just set the battery charging limit to 50% or similar. One downside is the risk of the Tesla vehicle being damaged while plugged in during an electrical storm. The risk of this happening is relatively small but the potential damage to the Tesla vehicle could be quite extensive, even a total loss.

I rarely charge at home; I plug in ~4X per week for ~90 minutes per charging session at a public level 2 charging station (where I charge parking is free for the first 2 hours.) The garage has multiple Level 2 charging stations with many of the charging stations available weekdays after 6PM and on weekends. 90 minutes charging at 6kW is sufficient time for adding 9kWh to the battery. I charge my Model Y to a maximum of 90% and the state of charge rarely falls below 60% before the next time I charge.

I have read multiple times that Teslas "like to be always plugged in." Is this something that simply helps with vampire battery drain/sentry mode/climate control, or does it also affect other things such as battery efficiency or long term battery life/health? How important is it?

I have read multiple times that Teslas "like to be always plugged in." Is this something that simply helps with vampire battery drain/sentry mode/climate control, or does it also affect other things such as battery efficiency or long term battery life/health? How important is it?
No, this is just to help humans build good habits. They don't want to hear complaints from people where they were in the habit of not plugging in often, and then the car was low, and they didn't have enough range to drive where they wanted, and they were late and angry and start telling all of their friends that "these electric cars are stupid and inconvenient".

When we stay at our timeshare for a week, there isn't any public charging of any kind at the property. I just go to a supercharger as needed during that week and haven't ever had a problem with battery degradation. When I'm home, I plug in as needed which is usually every 4-5 days. After 4+ years, our 2018 Model 3 still has over 300 miles of range and I expect our '23 MYLR to be just as good if not better. Will be taking it on our first road trip next week so should get a pretty good idea of how the 2 vehicles compare efficiency and range-wise. The 3 began with 310 miles of range when new so I'm pretty happy with 300-305 after 47k miles. I charge when it gets below 100 miles and charge back up to 80% when home and 90% when beginning a road trip or higher if needed on the road to make it to the next charger but have never had a problem so I recommend following whatever charging routine works for you and gives you peace of mind so you can enjoy using your car.

if you keep the car plugged in, why not charge it to 100%
I know tesla recommend to charge up to 80% on superchargers but if you are traveling and will put miles right after charge you are okay to charge upto 100%.
but if you are using level2 home charger, why not charge upto 100% so you are good for the whole week.

I know tesla recommend to charge up to 80% on superchargers but if you are traveling and will put miles right after charge you are okay to charge upto 100%.
but if you are using level2 home charger, why not charge upto 100% so you are good for the whole week.
Same question for a laptop with a lithium ion battery.

Because Tesla recommends that you don't charge to 100% 1) frequently and 2) if you are not going to drive the car 'immediately'. See the Owners Manual for recommendations.

It really depends on the type of battery. In the US Tesla currently uses nickel, manganese and cobalt (NMC) lithium battery cells in most of the Tesla vehicles. Testing as well as anecdotal experience has shown that NMC batteries degrade more quickly when charged to maximum and kept charged to maximum state of charge; kept charged to a high state of charge at higher temperatures. Degraded means the battery will no longer store as much energy; limiting performance and range in an electric vehicle. Degraded in an electric shaver would mean fewer shaves; shorter run time on battery for a phone or laptop.

Another type of battery is the lithium iron phosphate (LFP) battery. LFP batteries don't suffer from degradation when kept fully charged. LFP batteries need to be regularly, i.e. once a week, charged to 100% for best long term health of the LFP battery. In the US Tesla currently uses a LFP battery in the Standard Range Plus Model 3 (the current entry level Model 3.)

Two words: battery degradation. You should as often as possible, and to as low of a level as you can get away with. Ideally every day to 50% if that's plenty for you. Minimizing average depth of discharge increases battery life. Minimizing SoC you charge to also increases battery life. You should only charge to 100% when you need to.