Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is lifetime 270wh/mi high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like others have mentioned, there’s a lot of factors here but that 80mph on the highway certainly isn’t helping your efficiency. I’m at 262 Wh/mi, nearly 28K miles. Highway speed is typically 75mph but nearly all of my work drive (when I used to drive to work at least) is on local roads. I also like to floor it at traffic lights. Kept the aero covers on my wheels to compensate for my spirited driving.

219 Wh/mile on my SR+ but I’m near DC and winter crushed my Wh/mile. I charge a lot at the free charger at work so I don’t warm up the battery in the morning going to work. About 6000/16000 miles was road trips to New England where I use far more energy than in my normal driving around home. I do drive spirited at times but thats really what the second car is for.

257 Wh/mi in Boston. A little over 2 years and about 17,000 miles. Average to slightly faster than average driver. Had to replace the stock tires at 11,000 miles though - already tread low...maybe I'm spirited driving in the city.

Only 1 person in this thread has posted below the rated consumption rate, I believe. Shouldn't we expect 50/50 above and below - ish?

Can everyone post with all the important stats so we can actually compare. Some times I'm wondering if you're in a SR+ or 19" or cold temp. Or heater or not.

Stealth P3D- on 19"
California
8000mi since December 2019
70-75mph 90% of the time. Launch only once a month or less.
Avg 257wh/mi

I'm in cold New England weather and just passed 9 months of ownership. Got it end of Sep/19 and just hit 10k miles. I don't use the Aero covers. AWD 18" wheels.
I'm an average driver and am at lifetime 277 Wh/mile. That being said, with warmer weather that number dropped from lifetime 295 after winter to 277 and it continues to drop.
Since June 1 I've been 225.
By the time I reach a full year of ownership I predict it will be around 255.
One thing you'll notice over time is that you will be able to guess what your consumption will be without looking. You'll be able to factor in all of the variables and guess what your Wh/mile will be before you look at the data.
Try dropping your highway speed to 70mph for most of a deep discharge of your battery and see what the data looks like.

257 Wh/mi in Boston. A little over 2 years and about 17,000 miles. Average to slightly faster than average driver. Had to replace the stock tires at 11,000 miles though - already tread low...maybe I'm spirited driving in the city.

Only 1 person in this thread has posted below the rated consumption rate, I believe. Shouldn't we expect 50/50 above and below - ish?

I'm about an hour north of you into NH. As I predicted in my previous post, I hope to match you and drop to the 255 threshold by the time I complete my first four seasons in September!

Yes, 270 Wh/mi is a bit high for SR+. EPA estimate for the SR+ is ~250 Wh/mi for 45% highway, 55% city driving.

If you're mechanically inclined, you can work through some of this like you would for a traditional ICE car that's not getting the fuel efficiency it's supposed to; just skip past the mechanical items an EV doesn't have. Even if you're not mechanically inclined, check the stuff you're willing and able to and then if needed, take it to a service center (ideal) or garage and ask them to look into it for you. Here are some potential reasons for poor fuel efficiency I can remember off the top of my head.
  • Anything that adds to rolling resistance. For example, an intermittent sticking brake caliper; this would cause a brake pad to stay applied even when the car is not braking. Severely underinflated tires. Regularly carrying a LOT of excess cargo weight or carpooling with a full load of adults; especially if everyone is circumferentially challenged.
  • Engine/drivetrain issues. In ICE cars these include spark, fuel, air, exhaust, and issues that prevent the engine from operating at its designed operating temp; ask a EV tech for EV specific mechanical causes. I suspect operating engine temp and operating battery temp would be included in items an EV tech would want to check.
  • Driving style. This matters most in city and/or stop and go traffic; the more highway driving you do at uninterrupted speed the less impact this has because the frequency of gunning it would go down. Although all vehicles (ICE, EV, fuel cell) are less efficient at very high speed than at their optimum 45-55 mph.
Try doing an unscientific test. Drive 5 miles away from home on city streets and come back along that same route (this will zero out any elevation gain or loss driving away from home). What's your Wh/mi for that 10 mile trip? Drive 5 miles or so on a highway at a steady speed (no speeding please for this test) and come back on the same highway for the same distance. What's your Wh/mi for that 10 mile trip? You could even test your driving style against someone else's by having both of you drive the same route and comparing Wh/mi for each driver.

If you care to know, our SR+ has roughly 18k miles and a lifetime 230 Wh/mi history. We've driven through mountains, short trips, multi-thousand mile road trips, and live where overnight freezing temps are common in the winter and the inefficient heater has to work hard for 4-5 months of the year.

The resistance heater in the TM3 really affects Wh/mi. San Diego is in climate zone 3B, meaning the heating needed is far less over the year than throughout most of the continental U.S and shouldn't negatively skew your lifetime Wh/mi.

Good luck.

Reactions: hungryjonjon