Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is long charging cable a pain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Plood

Plood, not Plaid?
Feb 12, 2022
Plano, TX
My wife's new Tesla arrives soon, and it's alone in our double garage. I'm, very happy with the convenience of the short (fat) cable on the charger in my single garage, even though it required an install ($700) to route conduit to the other side of the garage. My wife thinks she wants the same, and resists getting a 24' cable in the available charger.

Option 1: Please the wife. This means routing conduit to the far side of the big garage, and the electrician quoted $1600 because of the added distance, and because they need to upsize the wire to avoid voltage drop due to the distance. I'll omit the AWG details, but it's a size up from when the other garage got in AWG and conduit.

Option 2: Put the charger on the "wrong" side of the garage, so that the cost should be little more than the $700 install. The 24' cable is slimmer so less cumbersome, and there's less distance for voltage drop. Big plus is that this becomes usable for guests parked in the driveway as that need grows in the years to come. Big minus is that dirty cable on floor, rubs against car, and coils against wall.

Y'all could switch from back in to pull in the car which flips the side of charging port so it matches the side of charger.

I'd either do option 1 to make wife happy; or list reasons to her option 2 is better and have the wife "decide" to go with option 2. As you say option 2 is better for guest parking, less voltage drop (sell that to her as charges better), less conduit that is visibly unattractive, more affordable so she can go shopping for something, etc. I wouldn't just stick her with option 2.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
Tesla no longer sells the Wall Connector with the short (8 ft) charging cable or 18 ft cable. The current version of the Gen3 Wall Connector comes with a 24 ft charging cable. (If you want the shorter charging cable you may be able to purchase one on eBay.)

Some install the Wall Connector on the divider between the garage doors (if 2 separate doors.)

Reactions: MacO512
Tesla no longer sells the Wall Connector with the short (8 ft) charging cable or 18 ft cable. The current version of the Gen3 Wall Connector comes with a 24 ft charging cable. (If you want the shorter charging cable you may be able to purchase one on eBay.)

Some install the Wall Connector on the divider between the garage doors (if 2 separate doors.)
Good point! I was thinking OP would just leave cable coiled on charger but maybe he was thinking differently.

I wonder if shorter cables have less voltage drop. I got the 24' charging cable but normally only using a tiny bit of it. Only time I stretch it out is when the Y is parked outside the garage, but I might install a second outdoor charger for that eventually.

The short charging cable may be more aesthetically acceptable but has more limited utility. You don't need to uncoil the full length of the longer charging cord when charging (just keep the coiled part of the cable in relatively large, lose coils that are not tightly wrapped.)