Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is losing 10 miles a day normal when just parked in garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the 3 yesterday and when I parked in the garage last night, it showed range of 213. It's been sitting idle for about 20 hours and has lost 10 miles. I have climate control off and have checked the app maybe 3 times today. Is this normal rate or losing range?

It should be less. Do you have the latest software? Are you using any services that ping the car? It sounds as if the car isn't going to sleep for some reason, during sleep, current draw should be pretty low now. (wasn't in earlier software versions)

1-3miles/day has been my experience. Initially it was higher (I took delivery in late March), and the first OTA update that was pushed to the car resolved it. You may want to call service and have them push you an OTA update to see if that resolves.

Picked up the 3 yesterday and when I parked in the garage last night, it showed range of 213. It's been sitting idle for about 20 hours and has lost 10 miles. I have climate control off and have checked the app maybe 3 times today. Is this normal rate or losing range?
Over heat protection is on by default that what’s the cause of my vampire drain, just google how to turn it off.

I'm seeing the same kind of losses over the course of a day. Will need to try to turn off overheat protection.

I wonder if there is some more optimal way to keep it moderately reasonable, like to cool the car for 1 minute before night time when the temperatures are colder.

I had minimal drain after delivery the first couple of weeks. Then I signed up for TeslaFi and I noticed drain go up and I figured out that it was not “sleeping” just idling when not in use (in park). There’s a setting in TeslaFi to check to put into sleep mode while not in use so it stops pinging the car for data keeping it awake. After I fixed the setting online, seems to be sleeping again with no drain according to ththe data I am seeing on my profile.

I seem to be having a similar experience with my month old MS. I am losing 10-15 miles each day while my car is sitting in the parking lot while I am at work (for 12 hours). I am also losing 3-4 miles each night between the time it stops charging at 90% and when I unplug it 8-9 hours later in the morning. I do not have TeslaFi and have consciously avoided accessing any Tesla apps on my phone to keep them from pinging the car, so I'm not sure what's going on.

This vampire drain is a big concern to me. I barely drive my current car (believe or not I make less than 1K miles in a year, it stays in a garage), but gas still there. It looks like I will pay mostly for vampire drain in my future electric bill. 10 miles a day means I will pay ~75KWH every month more even if did not drive at all. This is ~ 30% of my current bill. :(

This vampire drain is a big concern to me. I barely drive my current car (believe or not I make less than 1K miles in a year, it stays in a garage), but gas still there. It looks like I will pay mostly for vampire drain in my future electric bill. 10 miles a day means I will pay ~75KWH every month more even if did not drive at all. This is ~ 30% of my current bill. :(

If you only drive 1,000 miles a year, why are you buying a new $60k car? You should really be focused more on the depreciation than the vampire loss. The vampire loss will cost you under $25 per month, depreciation will be multiple hundred dollars per month.

As far as vampire loss, I have been away for over two weeks with my car parked in my garage and daily temperatures north of 90° and have been losing less than 1% per day - I don't have any third party apps and only checked the app once per week.

BTW, congrats on only using 6-8 kWh per day on your place (I couldn't tell if 30% included the 75 kWh or if 30% of current usage) - that is very impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: adaptabl
At 1k miles per year, Ubering/Lyfting/Zipcaring seem way more economical. But hey, your money, your car, and hopefully you get a big grin when you drive it.

I'd recommend making sure your phone-as-key isn't keeping the car awake by going in and out of range. Try disabling Bluetooth in the phone and see if that helps your drain.