TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is losing 10 miles a day normal when just parked in garage?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by gujudog, Jul 17, 2018.

1. gujudog

gujudog Member

Picked up the 3 yesterday and when I parked in the garage last night, it showed range of 213. It's been sitting idle for about 20 hours and has lost 10 miles. I have climate control off and have checked the app maybe 3 times today. Is this normal rate or losing range?

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

It should be less. Do you have the latest software? Are you using any services that ping the car? It sounds as if the car isn't going to sleep for some reason, during sleep, current draw should be pretty low now. (wasn't in earlier software versions)

3. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

1-3miles/day has been my experience. Initially it was higher (I took delivery in late March), and the first OTA update that was pushed to the car resolved it. You may want to call service and have them push you an OTA update to see if that resolves.

4. Rogue one

Rogue one Member

Over heat protection is on by default that what’s the cause of my vampire drain, just google how to turn it off.

5. gujudog

gujudog Member

What's the latest software version that is available?

6. gujudog

gujudog Member

I had turned that off even before leaving tesla lot.

• Like x 1
  7. gujudog

gujudog Member

Lost 9 miles overnight. I believe I am on latest software since I have summon and wifi.

8. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

You might want to have a look into this thread.

9. gujudog

gujudog Member

So it turns out my overheat protection was on. I can swear I had turned it off even before driving off the lot but I guess now. I actually gained 2 miles overnight.

10. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I am on a trip and I've lost 20 miles in the last 6 days which I believe is pretty good.
    Car is sitting in a parking lot with no connection. On software version 21.9

11. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

I'm seeing the same kind of losses over the course of a day. Will need to try to turn off overheat protection.

I wonder if there is some more optimal way to keep it moderately reasonable, like to cool the car for 1 minute before night time when the temperatures are colder.

12. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

How hot is it in your garage?

I thought the cabin overheat protection would only kick on if it was over 105F in the cabin(?).

13. irishndude4

irishndude4 Member

I had minimal drain after delivery the first couple of weeks. Then I signed up for TeslaFi and I noticed drain go up and I figured out that it was not “sleeping” just idling when not in use (in park). There’s a setting in TeslaFi to check to put into sleep mode while not in use so it stops pinging the car for data keeping it awake. After I fixed the setting online, seems to be sleeping again with no drain according to ththe data I am seeing on my profile.

14. gujudog

gujudog Member

Not really that hot but I am sure it keeps some sort of sensors alive which probably doesnt let it sleep.

15. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

Could be. If so, it's a really sad statement on the inelegance of Tesla's power management. (As if we needed any more evidence of that. :rolleyes::( )

• Disagree x 1
  16. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

10 per day unless you're in AZ or some other very hot place at this time of year is too much. If you're on one of the 2x.xx builds, it should be 1-2 a day.

17. nikolanj

nikolanj Member

I seem to be having a similar experience with my month old MS. I am losing 10-15 miles each day while my car is sitting in the parking lot while I am at work (for 12 hours). I am also losing 3-4 miles each night between the time it stops charging at 90% and when I unplug it 8-9 hours later in the morning. I do not have TeslaFi and have consciously avoided accessing any Tesla apps on my phone to keep them from pinging the car, so I'm not sure what's going on.

18. BestHand

BestHand Member

This vampire drain is a big concern to me. I barely drive my current car (believe or not I make less than 1K miles in a year, it stays in a garage), but gas still there. It looks like I will pay mostly for vampire drain in my future electric bill. 10 miles a day means I will pay ~75KWH every month more even if did not drive at all. This is ~ 30% of my current bill. :(

19. TT97

TT97 Active Member

#19 TT97, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    If you only drive 1,000 miles a year, why are you buying a new $60k car? You should really be focused more on the depreciation than the vampire loss. The vampire loss will cost you under $25 per month, depreciation will be multiple hundred dollars per month.

As far as vampire loss, I have been away for over two weeks with my car parked in my garage and daily temperatures north of 90° and have been losing less than 1% per day - I don't have any third party apps and only checked the app once per week.

BTW, congrats on only using 6-8 kWh per day on your place (I couldn't tell if 30% included the 75 kWh or if 30% of current usage) - that is very impressive.

• Like x 1
  20. drawfour

drawfour Member

At 1k miles per year, Ubering/Lyfting/Zipcaring seem way more economical. But hey, your money, your car, and hopefully you get a big grin when you drive it.

I'd recommend making sure your phone-as-key isn't keeping the car awake by going in and out of range. Try disabling Bluetooth in the phone and see if that helps your drain.