Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's going to entirely be dependent on your usage. Being from CA, I'd assume RWD will be fine, but when I'm at most people would say AWD is a necessity.

On a side note, there's a couple LR's showing in current inventory tonight in Colorado.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Selling a 2021 SR+ and have a LR 2021/22 on order.
The cost difference for us is less than the current delta because of a strange used car market.
The SR+ was fine and never gave us any range issues (for us, the northeast is loaded with chargers), plus at the time a rebate was limited to 40K.

It's going to entirely be dependent on your usage. Being from CA, I'd assume RWD will be fine, but when I'm at most people would say AWD is a necessity.

On a side note, there's a couple LR's showing in current inventory tonight in Colorado.
Having spent about a dozen years working in Los Angeles, I would still prefer AWD. When it does rain there the freeways get so slick that you might as well be driving in snow and ice. Also, AWD comes in really handy for quick emergency maneuvers. I started driving AWD vehicles in the late 80's and will never go back

Counter point to AWD, living in New England with RWD is fine - the amount of salt/sand applied is crazy. I avoid driving any car because of it, but not the weather.
I live in NE and the amount of small hills that you have to climb totally makes it worth it buying an AWD. My 17 years old Xterra has a hard time driving up my driveway in the winter. Whereas my wife's AWD has no problem at all.

Reactions: Shelburne
I've also never driven in anyplace where the rain approaches anything like "snow and like". And this includes places that has thunderstorms as often as sunrises, and also in California... nor have I ever been unable to react in emergency situations due to FWD/RWD drivetrain...

That said, if you encounter snow, the benefits of EV AWD vs minimal penalty on drivetrain efficiency or maintenance/complexity... no brainer. AWD all day.

Aside from the need or not for AWD the performance difference is very significant. A 5.3s vs a 4.2s 0-60 car feel very different. And as noted with the acceleration boost add on for 2K (which is only available on the LR) it's crazy fast and a tremendous amount of fun but even without it it's still very quick. While I like almost everything about my car it's the acceleration that puts a smile on my face everyday. So yes, very worth it to go LR from that perspective.