Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is LTE still free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are splitting up the LTE services into two separate packages, Premium and Basic.

Premium includes Slacker streaming radio (U.S.), satellite navigation maps, etc. Premium is included with the purchase of a new Model S for 12 months for free and then has a fee after 12 months, or you can default to Basic service.

Basic includes navagation (non-satellite) and basic OTA updates for patches & bug fixes. The Basic LTE service has no cost.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler and tktktk
no you cannot use a hotspot to get premium connectivity features. Right now its free for 1 year for anything ordered after july 1st.

im guessing like free supercharging, it will stay free and just cost $$ on the model 3. they haven't even announced pricing for it yet, but estimates it to be $100/yr.

Do you know if it will be able to use wifi, as in a wifi hotspot to get the slacker and satellite nav? I'm guessing not, but it's worth asking.

Thanks,
Chris
Waiting on first MS. Due end of September.

Not as it currently stands, no. Wifi is not an option while the car is in motion so it wouldn't be useful for the nav or slacker. I believe the standard internet connectivity that takes over once premium expires does include sat navigation, but no traffic updates.

Wifi is not an option while the car is in motion

Since when? I haven't tried it for a while now, but it totally was an option in the past. Last I remember, they just changed the default and you just have associate the car's WiFi to a hotspot while the car is in "Drive" so that it doesn't disconnect it when shifting out of Park. Does this no longer work, or does it not work on the new MCU?

I haven't tried it recently myself either, but I interpreted this...

"Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?
No. Over-the-air software updates may be downloaded over Wi-Fi networks, including mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier. However, other Premium Connectivity features like satellite view maps and streaming media are currently not available over Wi-Fi."

This says that leveraging a hotspot for the premium features won't be possible, and I made the assumption that this would be that you wouldn't be able to use a hotspot while the car was in drive. Maybe I'm wrong.

Also to correct something else I said earlier...standard maps are part of the standard connectivity, but satellite views will only be possible with the premium package.