Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Ludicrous Mode for regular driving? Impact on battery usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster, long time reader. Just got my P90DL black, black, 21s. IT IS INCREDIBLE. Anyway I have looked through the posts but cannot find information on this question: Is it appropriate for the car/battery to drive in ludicrous mode at all times vs. sport mode? If so, what is the impact on the battery, if any, if driving most of the time under normal conditions but have the power always available vs. sport mode?

Someone told me Ludicrous is "only for launches" but that can't be right?

Also, assuming L mode is for regular driving, can anyone describe the impact on the battery usage vs. sport mode, all other things being equal?

Finally, can anyone describe the difference on performance between Ludicrous Mode and Ludicrous Mode with Max Battery Power? I have been driving around in just Ludicrous mode and the car feels incredibly fast. How much faster is it with "max battery power"?

Sorry for naive questions but just learning about my new toy!

Thanks
SkinnyWeasel

First time poster, long time reader. Just got my P90DL black, black, 21s. IT IS INCREDIBLE. Anyway I have looked through the posts but cannot find information on this question: Is it appropriate for the car/battery to drive in ludicrous mode at all times vs. sport mode? If so, what is the impact on the battery, if any, if driving most of the time under normal conditions but have the power always available vs. sport mode?

Someone told me Ludicrous is "only for launches" but that can't be right?

Also, assuming L mode is for regular driving, can anyone describe the impact on the battery usage vs. sport mode, all other things being equal?

Finally, can anyone describe the difference on performance between Ludicrous Mode and Ludicrous Mode with Max Battery Power? I have been driving around in just Ludicrous mode and the car feels incredibly fast. How much faster is it with "max battery power"?

Sorry for naive questions but just learning about my new toy!

Thanks
SkinnyWeasel
Whoever told you Ludicrous mode is "only for launches" is the same kind of person who thinks sex is only for procreation.

Reactions: We Are Venom
Now that is funny! Thanks for that clarification.

Any insight on difference between ludicrous and ludicrous with max battery power setting? Speed? Impact on battery? Do people drive around with max battery power all the time or I assume they only condition the battery for max power when they plan to do more aggressive driving?

You can drive around in Ludicrous mode all the time. My car has been in Insane mode since the second I got it from the SC. You won't be using the extra power unless you require it.

Yikes!!
I have the wimpy P85D and I keep it in Sport mode and I don't think I have ever driven it in Insane mode.
Even in Sport mode I have been very close to running over the cars ahead of me.
Other drivers on the road can't cope with a car that moves that quickly and I find it difficult to react to the other drivers un-signaled/unanticipated maneuvers.
I am aware of spirited driving concerns since I've owned 2 other high-performance ///M BMW's for 25 years, but the Tesla is unique in its performance envelope.

The last one was getting onto the freeway - 4-lanes wide with a solo car approaching in the slow-lane and another car in front of me going slow just getting on the freeway.
So I glance back, slowing - maybe doing 30MPH, timing my move, anticipating the car to pass my position while I'm still on the on-ramp and I hit the throttle to accelerate and pass the car that just passed in the slow lane - BUT.... they suddenly brake for the slow car that got on the freeway in front of me.
I ended up being SUPER-CLOSE to running into the back of this braking car in the slow lane (I've never seen a tail light so big!!)
So, I can ask the questions:
Why do drivers get on a 65 MPH freeway at 45?
or,
Why would a driver with no other cars in any of the adjacent 3-lanes choose to brake on the freeway instead of changing lanes to pass a slower car entering the freeway?

The bottom line is, the PD was capable of catching the cars in the slow lane; in the time it took me to focus ahead.
If I had Insane mode on, I'm sure I would have rear-ended the car instead of having enough space/time to panic brake my PD.

What I need to learn is: to never accelerate unless I am focused on all the cars ahead and with any luck none will do something I can't compensate for.
The PD does have great brakes!!

Experiences vary I guess. My take... If you don't want to go as fast as fast, don't push the pedal as far as fast. These cars have excellent control and response. They aren't as twitchy as other cars I've driven despite having more acceleration capability.

I have only had mine off of insane a time or two when trying to judge effects on mileage (came to no clear conclusion other this didn't seem to have much of an effect). No issues driving in town and in stop and go conditions here.

Good advice in the previous post's final paragraph though!

Experiences vary I guess. My take... If you don't want to go as fast as fast, don't push the pedal as far as fast. These cars have excellent control and response. They aren't as twitchy as other cars I've driven despite having more acceleration capability.

I have only had mine off of insane a time or two when trying to judge effects on mileage (came to no clear conclusion other this didn't seem to have much of an effect). No issues driving in town and in stop and go conditions here.

Good advice in the previous post's final paragraph though!

Totally agree. Been driving my P90DL in Ludi mode for most of first week and it is totally tuned to how much I push the accelerator (I almost said "push the gas pedal" - still getting used to this all electric world). In fact, I would argue that sport vs Ludi is almost imperceptible UNLESS I lean in on the accelerator, and then you can really tell the difference. Thanks for all the input on this question.