Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is MCU2 upgrade worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It costs around 2.5k$. Do you guys thinks its a worthy upgrade for the price on my 2017 X?
100% -- I would do it again on my '17 X -- really makes the car feel new/refreshed. I'm happy to have the FSD/HW3 as well for faster image processing (more responsive so safer?).

It has been a little while since I looked at this page but it looks like the $2K option includes the FSD/HW3 computer since it is $1.5K for non AP2.0|2.5 vehicles.

Owners of compatible vehicles can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation.
This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5
and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen.

My vehicle has already undergone an Infotainment Upgrade. Is it possible for me to purchase the Radio Upgrade?
Yes. The purchase and installation of the Radio Upgrade is available for vehicles that have already undergone Infotainment Upgrade. For vehicles that have not yet undergone an Infotainment Upgrade, we recommend having both the Infotainment Upgrade and Radio Upgrade installation performed at the same time. The Radio Upgrade costs an additional $500 plus applicable tax and there is no difference in price if you have the Radio Upgrade and Infotainment Upgrade installed separately or together.

Reactions: Akikiki
If ap2 or higher --> definitely worth it

If ap1, faster gps and YouTube/Netflix for $2k? -->. Think about it, do it now or when mcu1 fails.

disagree. mcu2 gives you a touchscreen that is actually usable. i don't use youtube/netflix, but I do use the screen and map all the time. also, you have no idea when/if tesla will raise their prices in the future. also, it's 1500 for ap1, not 2000.

disagree. mcu2 gives you a touchscreen that is actually usable. i don't use youtube/netflix, but I do use the screen and map all the time. also, you have no idea when/if tesla will raise their prices in the future. also, it's 1500 for ap1, not 2000.
Good points
$2k is in Canada dollars up here
Regarding pricing, I understand pricing went down everywhere from initial release last year, so it could go up, or it could go down as well..

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
I have a non Teck pkg 2014 model S, no nav or trip planning, still 3g. Tech says I'll gain both and LTE by doing the mcu2 upgrade for 2k cdn. I plan to keep the car another 4 years minimum. No brainer to do it? Any chance it gets cheaper?
If it were me, and I planned to keep the car 4 more years, I’d spring for it. There’s no way it’s going to get cheaper; not with all the availability and supply issues going on.

Just getting back on the regular software update cycle is worth it! It may well be the last upgrade for our legacy vertical screen configuration (just guessing) but hopefully it has sufficient power and user base to continue the update stream for some time to come before we’re relegated to irregular security updates once again.