Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model 3 a good first car?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm of the school that says - regardless of your assets and the community you live in - your kids' first cars should be either very basic new cars or fully checked out late model (safe) used cars that are a little less basic. Your kids' second cars and beyond? They should buy themselves. So, if you and your kids are inclined to EVs, then I guess you are talking Leaf (or eGolf if you live in the right states).

While I do not believe that buying a kid a 3 will automatically create a sense of entitlement that will screw up their values... it is a step down that road!

Reactions: MS16 and S'toon

No. I don't care how rich you are. Don't buy your kids luxury status symbols. It turns them into insufferable pricks for life. Buy them something safe and reliable that teaches them if they want something nicer, they'll have to accomplish something and make something out of themselves.
Better yet, don't buy them a car at all. My parents would never have done that for me, and I wouldn't do that for my kids. If you earn it you're far more likely to take excellent care of it.

Tesla should make the Model 3 with a customizable Teen Driver mode. 0-60 in 10 seconds. Top speed of 70 mph. The radio does not work at all. And other things like that.

That would probably help the car's driving range a bit.

New cars do too much to "help" drivers. Like this auto-park BS. Back up cameras. Things that make a driver have to do less, and as a result, they never really learn how to parallel park, or back up, or change lanes without sensors and cameras doing all the looking for them.

I'd like to see some new driver back up a trailer. My Dad taught me how when I was very young, and I was doing it on my own with a garden tractor and trailer by the time I was 10.

Better yet, don't buy them a car at all. My parents would never have done that for me, and I wouldn't do that for my kids. If you earn it you're far more likely to take excellent care of it.

Do you let them use the refrigerator? Do they go on vacations with you? Just curious. Our kids are part of the family. They drive family cars, not POSs. When I was young, that was not possible, there was 1 car in the family. So I saved up my paper route money and bought a beat up motorcycle and got it running. And I spent a number of trips to the emergency room for a few years.

Perhaps that is the best route. If your kid has razor sharp reflexes, and can take a hit, they survive so Darwin provided you with a great offspring. I would start with a few extra kids just in case. Today's CellPhoneIdiots are pretty lethal to motorcyclists. They can't even see cars, so motorcycles have zero chance.

There is no right or wrong choice in this matter, period. Unless, of course, there are laws in place in your country dictating such.

Every family situation is different. You may have a responsible teenage who actually saved up enough money to buy and operate their own Model 3 and mom and dad reward the teen by co-signing a loan or helping with insurance. You may have wealthy parents who have the best intentions in providing for their kid but fail to consider his/her emotional state once they get behind the wheel of a land rocket.

Personally, my first car was a 77hp diesel pickup truck given to me by my parents. I didn't care that it was a slug. I had wheels. And darn it, I found a way to smoke those tires. :) It was a good thing my parents went small for my first car.

Do you let them use the refrigerator? Do they go on vacations with you? Just curious. Our kids are part of the family. They drive family cars, not POSs. ...
I don't get your point ... the family car, like the refrigerator, was it. Parents got priority usage, and nobody ever said I couldn't buy my own if I wanted to. (Though if I wanted my own fridge my dad would probably complain about the space it would take up in the basement! :p)

I guess the point of my post, which wasn't terribly clear the first time 'round, was this: we shared the car as a family, my parents didn't buy me a car, and that I agreed then and still agree that their decision was a good one. So if the Model 3 was the buyer's first car, I think it would be a great one, but would be bad to practise on as an expensive gift from one's parents (just like most cars, in my humble opinion, which of course entitles you to disagree if you so desire).

I don't get your point ... the family car, like the refrigerator, was it. Parents got priority usage, and nobody ever said I couldn't buy my own if I wanted to. (Though if I wanted my own fridge my dad would probably complain about the space it would take up in the basement! :p)

I guess the point of my post, which wasn't terribly clear the first time 'round, was this: we shared the car as a family, my parents didn't buy me a car, and that I agreed then and still agree that their decision was a good one. So if the Model 3 was the buyer's first car, I think it would be a great one, but would be bad to practise on as an expensive gift from one's parents (just like most cars, in my humble opinion, which of course entitles you to disagree if you so desire).

We have multiple drivers and more vehicles than drivers. We buy vehicles based on both needs and wants. They are shared to a great extent. Do the kid's 'own' their cars? No. Mom and dad own the cars.

Our kids have a lot of professional training, are not reckless, no tickets, and (knock on wood) no accidents. But I still want them in a safe car. When they have left the nest, they can buy whatever car they want. But while they are under our roof, they will drive what we say they can drive. And where, and when, and with who.

If you cannot afford a safe car for your family members, then you buy what you can afford. I'm fortunate to be able to provide safe transportation for all our family members.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SCModelX and Topher
It will be a good first car as long as mom and pop pay for maintenance and repairs down the road. I doubt repairs will be Honda or Toyota cheap

This is why I voted no. Not because of worries about 'spoiling' them (if you have the means to buy your teenager a $35k+ car, chances are they've been 'spoiled' in other aspects of their lives, why cherry pick here?), and not because I'm concerned about it being 'too powerful', any car they get will be capable of going faster than they should be going, plus this car is more likely to have a 'teen mode' than most other options.

It's the repair costs/times that worry me. Someone posted above that automobile accidents is the no. 1 killer of U.S. teens, I'm pretty sure they have high accident rates across the board, including non-fatal ones as well. Many teen drivers don't appreciate the importance of accident avoidance. Even if you're right, and taking the correct by-the-book actions, you still need practice accident accident avoidance otherwise you could end up inconvenienced for weeks (or months for some S owners) dealing with fixing your car, or worse: Dead right.

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
I'm of the school that says - regardless of your assets and the community you live in - your kids' first cars should be either very basic new cars or fully checked out late model (safe) used cars that are a little less basic. Your kids' second cars and beyond? They should buy themselves. So, if you and your kids are inclined to EVs, then I guess you are talking Leaf (or eGolf if you live in the right states).

While I do not believe that buying a kid a 3 will automatically create a sense of entitlement that will screw up their values... it is a step down that road!

When we moved to Vancouver, BC in 94, my parents paid for my brand new 1995 Acura Integra, tuition and didn't charge me rent. When it was time for me to move on with my own family, I started from scratch and worked from the bottom to the not so bottom. I'm no executive nor senior manager but when it comes for me to help my parents out, I wouldn't hesitate or think twice.

So same with my kid. Although I threaten her about having to pay for schooling when she disrespects us (she is really not bad but I don't want to tolerate that kind of behavior), of course which parent will want to screw his/her child's future and blow possible tuition money to go on frivolous holidays (I sure ain't that kind of parent)? I'm not getting her the M3 but my wife or I are not driving it, why not have her drive it since it costs the family less to use an EV (if I can confirm she will not drive it too fast and be courteous)? To me it's just practicality, who ever needs to drive the longest distance during the day gets to us the EV. The next longest gets to use our RAV4 Hybrid and the least amount the Honda Accord.

Maybe it's because I didn't grow up in North America that I have that mentality where I'd like to help my parents and children out? I know independence can build character but I was totally dependent on my parents financially yet here I am totally independent now.

Last edited:
When we moved to Vancouver, BC in 94, my parents paid for my brand new 1995 Acura Integra, tuition and didn't charge me rent. When it was time for me to move on with my own family, I started from scratch and worked from the bottom to the not so bottom. I'm no executive nor senior manager but when it comes for me to help my parents out, I wouldn't hesitate or think twice.

So same with my kid. Although I threaten her about having to pay for schooling when she disrespects us (she is really not bad but I don't want to tolerate that kind of behavior), of course which parent will want to screw his/her child's future and blow possible tuition money to go on frivolous holidays (I sure ain't that kind of parent)? I'm not getting her the M3 but my wife or I are not driving it, why not have her drive it since it costs the family less to use an EV (if I can confirm she will not drive it too fast and be courteous)? To me it's just practicality, who ever needs to drive the longest distance during the day gets to us the EV. The next longest gets to use our RAV4 Hybrid and the least amount the Honda Accord.

Maybe it's because I didn't grow up in North America that I have that mentality where I'd like to help my parents and children out? I know independence can build character but I was totally dependent on my parents financially yet here I am totally independent now.
Exactly where did you read that I was against helping out kids and parents? I agree with allowing your kid to drive your 3. I was replying to discussion about buying your kid a 3.

We have multiple drivers and more vehicles than drivers. We buy vehicles based on both needs and wants. They are shared to a great extent. Do the kid's 'own' their cars? No. Mom and dad own the cars.

Our kids have a lot of professional training, are not reckless, no tickets, and (knock on wood) no accidents. But I still want them in a safe car. When they have left the nest, they can buy whatever car they want. But while they are under our roof, they will drive what we say they can drive. And where, and when, and with who.

If you cannot afford a safe car for your family members, then you buy what you can afford. I'm fortunate to be able to provide safe transportation for all our family members.

yeah but this is not about safety its about buying your children a luxury sedan as their first car. which is just not on, whether you have a modest income or you are a millionaire.

yeah but this is not about safety its about buying your children a luxury sedan as their first car. which is just not on, whether you have a modest income or you are a millionaire.

If £29,000 is considered luxury, then what do you call an Aston Martin?

In any case, you missed my point entirely. The whole family shares our TV. It's a nice one. Same with the refrigerator, and the house. Our vehicles are nice. The kids only get access to those cars we allow same as the TV channels or food in the refrigerator.

The concept of family is lost on some folk.

If £29,000 is considered luxury, then what do you call an Aston Martin?

In any case, you missed my point entirely. The whole family shares our TV. It's a nice one. Same with the refrigerator, and the house. Our vehicles are nice. The kids only get access to those cars we allow same as the TV channels or food in the refrigerator.

The concept of family is lost on some folk.

the concept of your children using your tesla or your family tesla or whatever you call it is not the same as you buying a tesla for your son to use. I use my parents cars too when I am at home. Im sure your son will not take your tesla to university as his own car when/if he goes. My car is also registered on my mums name, its not really about that.

Model 3 wont be 29k in the uk. and yes, its a luxury sedan.

Reactions: int32_t
The whole, "Under my roof... I can buy my kid whatever car I want" idea is not very logical as a kid's mindset and decision making process is vastly different from what the parents "intend" for them to be. A friend of mine was in an after school conference with a teacher and as they were entering the room, one of the teacher's students was storming out ranting about how they already drive a better car than the teacher and will be gen times more "successful" than her without having to makeup some quiz.

What that kids parents taught them is beyond me and we were debating on how kids get off thinking they can speak to people that way. But ultimately, we figured that the parents would NOT have told the kids to behave in that manner. What we guessed was that the kid was just a kid... and that outburst is what was internally decided on at that moment.

What would that kid do if at a stop light and tempted to test that 0-69 with a bunch of his/her friends DESPITE what parents have taught them? What occasions have Any of US done anything beyond what was the "norm" or considered safe while driving? So now put that temptation in the mind of a 16-18YO. Anyone here remember the end of Back to the Future with Marty McFly and Biff in their fancy trucks? :)

After waiting in line for our 3 reservations (2+1 to be technical) we finally ordered 3 Model 3s for our triplets turning 16. it was a VERY tough decision for all of the reasons mentioned. Plus the friggin cost. ugh. Yet, I have good kids, respectful, kind and responsible. The new acceleration and speed limit tool is awesome. It really comes down to safety, pollution and lack of needed maintnance. Plus my kids can charge for free at school off of the sun. It’s a bit flashy, but no one would say a word if it was a Chevy Bolt for the same cost, imo. Seems extravagant now, but every week that goes by another 5k on the road. That should diminish quickly. It may end up appearing to be the wrong decision (for many reasons), but ultimately, being the safest car on the road is what I will always come back to. That will NEVER override any other issues that may arise

• Love
Reactions: Cosmacelf