Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model 3 a good first car?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It
While the advice to not spoil your kids is wise, I'd never thought of a Model 3 as anything remotely akin to a luxury status symbol. lol!
What kind of "luxury car" is targeted at the masses and has such high volume production (which is great)? Answer: nothing comes close. It will be an extremely common sight on any US road by the end of next year. 5K units/wk? "There goes yet another Model 3".
And it's priced the same as a Nissan Leaf hatchback. Quite frankly, I'm buying it because it should serve as a practical low-maintenance "beater".
It's in the same class as BMW 3 series, which sells close to 500,000 units a year and is a luxury brand. Not sure anybody would consider getting their kid a brand new BMW as a "beater" but I suppose we can all dream :D

It

It's in the same class as BMW 3 series, which sells close to 500,000 units a year and is a luxury brand. Not sure anybody would consider getting their kid a brand new BMW as a "beater" but I suppose we can all dream :D
True, but most of those orders were in the USA where less than 1/2 of the 3 series produced globally are sold here. I'd think if demand was same as 5K/week, we'll be flooded with Model 3s. Point is, it's hardly a status symbol being such a common car on the road.

True, but most of those orders were in the USA where less than 1/2 of the 3 series produced globally are sold here. I'd think if demand was same as 5K/week, we'll be flooded with Model 3s. Point is, it's hardly a status symbol being such a common car on the road.

Status symbol is all about perspective and peer group. At least at the high school I went to, having a new car of any sort was out of the ordinary and made it a bit of a status symbol, even if it was an Accord. Having a new 3-series would definitely qualify, especially if it was a convertible.

Depending on the actual needs of the student in question, in a lot of ways a used Leaf makes a much better first car - much cheaper, without the power to get into trouble with (but still not slow,) with less "look at me" and you know they won't run off on a last minute road trip with it.

A lot of first cars take damage from first drivers, and a Leaf you'll worry a lot less about. I actually didn't really hurt a first car - but I crushed a garage door pretty good and I dented some poor girl's bumper trying to stop on gravel. My sister killed a car, and my brother messed one up pretty good in the early days of driving.

Maybe make a Leaf the real first car in HS, then the 3 as the college car...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
While the advice to not spoil your kids is wise, I'd never thought of a Model 3 as anything remotely akin to a luxury status symbol. lol!
What kind of "luxury car" is targeted at the masses and has such high volume production (which is great)? Answer: nothing comes close. It will be an extremely common sight on any US road by the end of next year. 5K units/wk? "There goes yet another Model 3".
And it's priced the same as a Nissan Leaf hatchback. Quite frankly, I'm buying it because it should serve as a practical low-maintenance "beater".
The Model 3 will be produced in the same annual volume as a BMW 3 series and is targeted at that vehicle as a main competitor. 3 series can be considered entry-level luxury (usually called "premium" instead). Not a whole lot of parents will buy a BMW as a first car for their kids.

As a first car, expect a lot of dings and dents during the learning process. If you start out with a cheap econobox then it probably wouldn't matter much, but anything "premium" would hurt more. Of course, I should add that is not to say it makes sense to get the cheapest car possible: something that is inexpensive, but still safe and reliable makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

No. I don't care how rich you are. Don't buy your kids luxury status symbols. It turns them into insufferable pricks for life. Buy them something safe and reliable that teaches them if they want something nicer, they'll have to accomplish something and make something out of themselves.

And what causes people to turn into judgmental assholes?

I firmly believe you get more of a perspective if you drive around a low horsepower, safe, used car. It takes a new driver years to become adept anyway and you also get other life experiences.... like using bondo to fill rust holes ;). Plus it saves a little on insurance, which for a teen can be very expensive.

If a teen must have a Model 3 then it should be put on valet mode for the first year or two.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Good first car? No. Too much car, too much performance, too many maintenance unknowns (that the kid won't be able to fix him or herself). My daughter gets the family 2002 Prius, or figures out how to afford a different car she can buy for herself.
Edit: no way she gets the Triumph.
Robin

Last edited:
Goddamn. How can you hear yourself think over the constant sounds of screaming and anguish coming from the peasants beneath your boots?

I learned to drive in my Dad's '74 Chevy Nova. Not a bad car, but I never saw myself as a car enthusiast, and that car tends to attract that type.

The first car I bought for myself was a '02 Saturn SL2 that I got in 2005. It's smaller than the Nova, but frankly it's superior to the Nova in virtually every way. I'm still using that car as my daily driver, with the intention to purchase a Model 3 a few years down the line (I just got into a job where affording any new car is a realistic possibility, but I want to get a house first. I predict I'll be in a Model 3 in about 3 years).

I think the Model 3 is fine as a first car if you are buying it yourself, where you have your own income sufficient to afford it, but I do not think it's a good idea for a new teenage driver learning to drive. Honestly, if you want to go the EV route for that, get a Chevy Bolt instead.

Young drivers will not be able to appreciate all that a Tesla is if they start in one. Start them out old school. Like a 1971 Plymouth Valiant. With manual steering and manual drum brakes. And a carburetor. See how long it takes them to learn how many pumps to start the engine when cold and when hot! Headlight dimmer switch on the floor. No A/C. An AM radio that doesn't even work. It's loud. It's not smooth riding. And the list goes on.... :)

Kids today have to learn how to OPERATE a car, not have it do everything for them. I remember a time back in the mid 90's when my 1971 Valiant's throttle cable broke, late on Friday night, on a highway out in the middle of nowhere, 20 miles from home. Luckily the car had a 4 speed in it, so I was able to crank up the fast idle screw enough to make the engine run faster, then I just clutch-n-shifted my way home. Made it.

Kids today would be on their cell phones calling AAA for a flat tire. Pathetic.

Last edited:
You guys sounds like a bunch of old fogies. Do you give your kids an Apple II to start with? Maybe skis with spring bindings? The world is changing, get used to it.

Kids (16 year olds) appreciate a Tesla just fine after a single time behind the wheel of an ICE.

Reactions: SCModelX
You guys sounds like a bunch of old fogies. Do you give your kids an Apple II to start with? Maybe skis with spring bindings? The world is changing, get used to it.

Kids (16 year olds) appreciate a Tesla just fine after a single time behind the wheel of an ICE.
I started on a commodore 64 myself, Apple II later on.

I'd probably start a kid on a raspberry pi nowadays.

Late model cars when properly equipped have far better survivability than cars from 5 years ago.
They are less likely to crash to begin with due to warning systems and automatic braking, and they have far more airbags and stronger chassis. Stability control is a must today.

But a 'sporty' car, especially when it comes to young males, can encourage risky driving. Hence why a baby Tesla might not be a good fit unless it comes with a Teen Driver mode.

Reactions: JeffK
Late model cars when properly equipped have far better survivability than cars from 5 years ago.
They are less likely to crash to begin with due to warning systems and automatic braking, and they have far more airbags and stronger chassis. Stability control is a must today.

But a 'sporty' car, especially when it comes to young males, can encourage risky driving. Hence why a baby Tesla might not be a good fit unless it comes with a Teen Driver mode.

This is where valet mode might come in... I wish this would be more customizable per driver profile etc.

I said yes, but probably only as a used car. A used Model 3 would be fine. I don't think I would buy a new driver a new Model 3, as it's too expensive. At least, not unless they are extremely responsible, good at driving, and won't be stressed out by driving such a nice car.

Until Model 3s become several year old used cars, I might would favor something like a Volt, Bolt, Leaf, Ford Whatever Energi or similar.