Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model 3 for daily commute of 200Km a day good?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I’m looking at getting a Tesla Model 3 Standard Range as that is what I can afford right now.

I drive Monday to Friday about 160Km/100 Miles to 200Km/125 Miles a day and I’m wondering would it be okay for the Model 3?

I’d mostly be charging at home overnight on the Tesla Wall Plug.

That probably won't work if you're just going to do a level 1 charger. That charges at about 5 mph. If you're charging 12 hours overnight that's only about 60 miles you're going to replace each day. If you're traveling 100 to 125 MI, that means that you're going to lose approximately 40 to 65 miles of charge per day. With a standard range that won't be enough to get you through a full work week. Those numbers may change a little bit if you're able to charge longer or if you drive closer to the 100 mile range, but I just don't think the math is there. If you install a level 2 charger that charges much faster and the situation is completely different. You should be able to replace your charge overnight with that to compensate for your driving and make a standard range work. The other option is if you have a supercharger that you could stop at in the middle of the week then you could make it work.

That probably won't work if you're just going to do a level 1 charger. That charges at about 5 mph. If you're charging 12 hours overnight that's only about 60 miles you're going to replace each day. If you're traveling 100 to 125 MI, that means that you're going to lose approximately 40 to 65 miles of charge per day. With a standard range that won't be enough to get you through a full work week. Those numbers may change a little bit if you're able to charge longer or if you drive closer to the 100 mile range, but I just don't think the math is there. If you install a level 2 charger that charges much faster and the situation is completely different. You should be able to replace your charge overnight with that to compensate for your driving and make a standard range work. The other option is if you have a supercharger that you could stop at in the middle of the week then you could make it work.
Yes I forgot to add I’m adding a Tesla wall charger to get the full 11kwh so I should have full charge every morning.

There is also a supercharger half way between work and home so if I need to use that aswell should be no problem.

but just wondering how bad is it for the battery to be used like that or should that be okay? Like I saw the recommended charge between 20% and 80% but if I charge Monday to Friday to 100% would that be okay?

100 miles a day should be doable. Knock 20% off the estimate to get a real world range number and you’re at 210mi. I‘d charge to 90% overnight and expect to be home at around 20-30% SoC.

That Super charger enroute makes it feel 100% doable, with that SC as a back up plan. Just don’t forget to plug in when you get home. Fiddle around with abetterrouteplanner.com to check my math and make sure you aren’t driving up a mountain or something.

only risk would be if it’s cold.

having done 60-70 mi each way in a Prius, I’d order the Tesla today and get as much Autopilot or FSD as you can afford. It is so much less draining to drive when the car does the hard parts.

I don't know about the weather in you country, but in mine it leads to the season consumption.
1623674020368.png

Reactions: Dan84