Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is model 3 going to ever offer a Sub 3 sec car?!

Model 3 fastest version will be Sub 3 Sec or NOT!!

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0378.jpg
Not sure it was askes before or not?!
If I know for a fact the there will be a version as fast as my P90D L I would make a reservation right now! Because my car's lease is up 9/2018!

BTW The service advisor up here in Charlotte confirmed that THERE WILL BE NO SUCH MODEL 3 CAR?! Referring to my P90DL!!

Thanks
My current car

I do not believe that any Tesla service advisor or showroom staff knows any details about the Model 3 beyond what we all know from the reveal last March and from Elon's tweets since then. They do not know what battery size options will be offered, whether or not it will have a Ludicrous mode option, or anything about options.

Over and over again on TMC people post saying a Tesla service or showroom employee told them something definite about a future option or update or whatever. Most of the time they are incorrect.

I do not believe that any Tesla service advisor or showroom staff knows any details about the Model 3 beyond what we all know from the reveal last March and from Elon's tweets since then. They do not know what battery size options will be offered, whether or not it will have a Ludicrous mode option, or anything about options.

Over and over again on TMC people post saying a Tesla service or showroom employee told them something definite about a future option or update or whatever. Most of the time they are incorrect.

True
I didn't believe him especially that another person in the same SC hinted that many versions will be available including very fast ones !!

Don't know whom to believe when both seemed mere speculations at best!!

My thought is that the M3 will be slower than the MS just based on the fact that the MS is their top tier car. You have the best features for those who can afford a 100K car. Those who can only afford 50K car only get sub 4 sec :)

Top Tier is technically the Model X if you want to go by price alone. Although, the flagship, the one thing they've been working towards for the last ten years, the main objective of the Master Plan part 1, is the Model 3! So tell me, why in the world would you purposely cripple your greatest achievement?!

It's the main vector in sustainable transport for all. It's the entire reason for the gigafactory. It's the crème de la crème. It's the {insert more synonyms here}.

I think we will see a Model 3 that is as fast as the fastest Model S. Same story as Tesla Roadster vs Model S.

Going forward and as Model 3 begins to bring-in a steady flow of cash to Tesla, they will be able to add more luxury and lighter material to make Model S stand out. Similarly, if ever they decide to bring out v2 roadster, they can make it a proper drivers car and possibly even track capable. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: EinSV
I think we will see a Model 3 that is as fast as the fastest Model S. Same story as Tesla Roadster vs Model S.
The quickest Roadster (Sport version) is 3.7 secs 0-60. The quickest S (P100D Ludicrous) is 2.5. Which is amazing given how much heavier the S is, but that is what happens with technology over time; it improves. That said, there is a marketing rationale for not making the most powerful Model 3 quicker than the most powerful Model S, a rationale that does not apply to the Roadster vs. S comparison since the Roadster went out of production before the S launched. In the case of the 3, the S will continue to be in production and no doubt for many many years to come.

Elon said there would be a "performance" version of the Model 3 and he tweeted agreement that it would have a Ludicrouse mode (see Tesla Model 3 will have a ‘Ludicrous’ mode, says Elon Musk). But of course everything is controlled in the software and I would not assume that the Model 3 PXXL will be quicker than the S P100DL, though it may be as quick. Or it may not. We don't know yet.

Reactions: Jaff and Jayc
First, we have the technical question - whether a Model ≡ battery could hold enough juice to sprint from 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. I doubt we'll see a 100KWh battery in a Model ≡ but obviously we are expecting the ≡ to weigh less than the S. Maybe with the new battery design, who knows.

Second we have the business question - does a car company want their most affordable model to be just as quick as their flagship. Doubtful. And I don't think we'll see the Model S get much quicker than it is now. There's not much more meat on the bone for 0-60 times.

I can actually see Model 3 having a 3 second 0-60 time. I mean, it makes sense (wouldn't out-perform the higher end vehicles) and would really tie the marketing of the car together.

"Speed your way to a 3 second 0-60 in Tesla's 3rd car, the Model 3."

But Ludicrous mode was offered on the X and it was only 3.2 seconds (until the P100DL).
While true, the X did get the same power, it was just a heavier vehicle.

If you also put the same power on the Model 3, which would be lighter than a model S, you'll see a very fast car.

First, we have the technical question - whether a Model ≡ battery could hold enough juice to sprint from 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. I doubt we'll see a 100KWh battery in a Model ≡ but obviously we are expecting the ≡ to weigh less than the S. Maybe with the new battery design, who knows.

Second we have the business question - does a car company want their most affordable model to be just as quick as their flagship. Doubtful. And I don't think we'll see the Model S get much quicker than it is now. There's not much more meat on the bone for 0-60 times.

I don't know what it's going to take to dissuade this notion that really high capacity is needed for Ludicrous mode like acceleration. I can cite a few examples of custom built electric cars that have smaller capacity batteries, and a higher output than even the P100DL. Many high drain cells can support a 10C discharge rate. The P100DL is outputting around 575 kW while the P90DL output around 500kW. If you had cells that support a 10C discharge rate and you had adequate cooling then you could achieve those power outputs from a 60 kWh battery. I understand Tesla doesn't do this, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

and again the flagship is the Model 3 not the Model S.