Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is model S quieter than Lexus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a P85+ with 21" tires and a Lexus LS 460. I put a decibel meter on my phone. The Lexus is 5 db quieter than the Tesla at 80 mph on that grooved concrete freeway stuff. However the Lexus has standard tires. Lexus was 75db and Tesla was 80 db. Way too loud for me. There is a big difference as we all can hear on blacktop vs. concrete. I had my Tesla soundproofed recently with Dynomat. It cut the decibels by over 10 db. That is a big difference. Your local auto upholstery place can do that for you. Costs about $2,500 for the whole car.
What do they use to accomplish this? Is there any danger of effect on safety (like mid-firing air bags) or electroincs?

We have a P85+ with 21" tires and a Lexus LS 460. I put a decibel meter on my phone. The Lexus is 5 db quieter than the Tesla at 80 mph on that grooved concrete freeway stuff. However the Lexus has standard tires. Lexus was 75db and Tesla was 80 db. Way too loud for me. There is a big difference as we all can hear on blacktop vs. concrete. I had my Tesla soundproofed recently with Dynomat. It cut the decibels by over 10 db. That is a big difference. Your local auto upholstery place can do that for you. Costs about $2,500 for the whole car.

Where did they soundproof it? Was it inside doors and wheel housings, or did they do more?

My six year old Lexus LS460L Exec Class is quieter than my Model S on the inside. It is not on the outside. There is a lot of insulation in the 460L which the Tesla doesn't have. The Lexus ES models are very noisy compared to the LS models, no comparison. I test drove the new ES hybrid before buying the Model S. My daily car is my Model S. The LS is very good for mileage on the freeway, close to 30mpg if you drive on pretty flat roads at 65mph. Nothing like the Tesla's mpge. Even though the 0-60 times are very similar, the Model S jumps when hitting the accelerator - the cause of my Tesla grin.

What I will say is that the Model S is not a "Luxury Car" with all the bells and whistles like my LS. My LS only holds 4 passengers (but you can put your feet up on the ottoman in the right rear seat and and watch a DVD listening through the built in wireless headphones while getting one of two different massages). The Mark Levinson sound system is better in the LS. But you can't carry two big suitcases and two small suitcases in the trunk, like you can with the Model S. Since we got the Model S, we have to remember to drive the Lexus so the battery keeps charged.

I came from a 2006 Lexus GS300, and the Model S is quieter for me. The GS has a smooth engine, but even so, the Model S also has less vibration. The biggest noise in both cars is road surface. #2 for the MS is wind, but for GS is a tie between wind and engine.

I have my model S for 8-9 months now and I also have owned Lexus GX, GS, ES in the past. I can tell you that the Lexus is quieter than my Model S. I think the reason is that the Lexus cabin is completely sealed from the trunk; therefore the road noise from the rear wheels won't get inside the cabin (Lexus also did a good job insulate the trunk from the cabin). I scheduled to have my Model S completely seal with Dynamat next week. I will let everyone know if that will make a different reduction the road noise in my Model S.

HP832, do you have a parcel shelf in your car?

Yes I do have the parcel shelf in my car. The noise is mostly road noise from the rear wheel. The model S is really quiet when I drive on asphalt but it is very noisy when I drive on concrete road. the noise increased as you drive faster. In my Lexus, you can't hardly hear any noise even at high speed.

Now *there*'s an answer to make me happy! I eagerly await your observations on Dynamat's improvements for your own car. I'm suddenly thinking I might just need me some Dynamat.

Thanks!

My Model S is currently in the shop for some body work. as soon as they finished with that, they will Dynamat my Model S to sound proof it. I have my Model S for 8-9 months now. It is a joy to drive and the car is far more superior than my Lexus in everyway, but the only thing I missed about driving the Lexus is how smooth and quiet it is. With the Dynamat, I hope that I won't even have to think about the Lexus ever again. It is good to see that I'm not the only one feeling that way. Most Lexus owners would agree with me.

I have been obsessed with a quiet car and have had the pleasure of driving several models of Lexus as well as a VW Phaeton which was tank quiet. As many have also commented on the forums, the interior noise from the Tesla comes in several forms. Helpful to think about when planning sound modification. It all boils down to time, money and how much you want to take apart your car.

1. Engine noise - virtually nonexistent in the Tesla. However, the drive unit does cause some hum which can be minimized folding down the rear seats, using the well cover, and using the parcel shelf. Dynamat (or equivalent, Dynamat is damn expensive and there are way cheaper alternatives) in this area under the carpet can help
2. Road noise - probably the largest area of improvement. First and easiest solution is to put a second set of mats in the front and rear over the stock mats. Next would be to Dynamat the doors which is relatively easy as instructions to remove the door panels are available on TeslaTap. Just be careful putting too much Dynamat as there is a law of diminishing returns and all you are doing is adding weight, cost, and time. Putting Dynamat under the carpet is too much work and would require significant labor and disassembly-probably not worth it.
3. Window noise - most luxury cars have double pane glass which we do not. This may be an option in future models. Nothing you can do about this. I have heard that window tinting can sometimes reduce noise transmission
4. Wheel well noise - another significant area of improvement. Certain tires will reduce road noise - see tire rack for more details. Also helpful to paint the wheel wells with a paste or liquid sound dampener. I plan on coating the wheel wells with Second Skin Spectrum in later April when I do my winter tire changeover and paint the break calipers.

In the end, you can go completely nuts with sound isolation if that is your goal.....most people weigh the cost/benefits. One of the challenges with our car is finding an installer who feels comfortable taking it apart and putting it back together. Most of the projects are easy DIY if you have the interest and basic tools. Just my 2 cents. Look forward to other peoples thoughts and experiences.

I recently rode as a passenger in a new Lexus RX. It was so much noisier than my Model S at freeway speed, I couldn't believe it! Perhaps the sedans are quieter, but the RX is louder for sure. It may have to do with the hatchback design.

You will definitely feel the different with the sedans like the LS or maybe GS models. the trunk on the sedans got seal really good which block out most of the road noise from the rear wheels.

Yeah...but they were both "hybrid" Teslas!:cursing:

Lotsa cars on that list. Weren't any Rolls, though. Do they still reign supreme in the quiet world?