Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is model S right for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe there is some legislation that condo associations must allow you to be able to install your own charging equipment, but you have to pay for the permitting installation and electricity. There was another thread that addressed this.

Lloyd - the problem is I don't own my own parking space, but rent a space from someone in the building. They do not want to install a charger. I have to use the community stations in the garage.
K Hall - no unfortunately it is definitely $0.97 per kWh.

Not sure who told you it's 97 cents/kWh. Just pulled this TOU rate card from PG&E's web site and rates seem to range from 13 to 49 cents depending on season and time of day.

Sorry I should have clarified. That rate is for the chargers in my condo building. I know for a fact that it is much higher than any other charging stations in the vicinity and I am trying to figure out what I can do about it right now

Lloyd - the problem is I don't own my own parking space, but rent a space from someone in the building. They do not want to install a charger. I have to use the community stations in the garage.
K Hall - no unfortunately it is definitely $0.97 per kWh.

pay your brother-in-law to come in late at night and cut the conduit to the charge station and install a hidden 14-50 receptacle in parallel. when they finally catch you just say it was always there and you were just making use of it.

Seriously, there is nothing "fair" about charging nearly 10 times the national average per kW for charging an EV! if there was no other option, I would seriously pass on buying the S for now. for the commute you are doing you could trickle charge if you had access to a 110 V outlet using the cord that comes with the car, if you plugged in all night every night and only used the charging stations to top up when you needed to. Not sure how far you are from a supercharging station but that might make a difference as well. Keep in mind though, Tesla really intends that this car be plugged in every night.

Nearly a dollar per kwh is insane.
Ive also read your other thread and regarding the parking space you rent, did the person you're renting it from give you a reason for him not wanting you to install a 14-50 plug?
If you're paying for it I don't see why he should have a problem with, when you're done with the space he will be left with a free 14-50 plug he can one day use.

Some ideas:

* You should talk to the HOA to see if you can get the rates down.
* You should talk to other EV owners in the complex to make your case more persuasive.
* Maybe you can talk another owner into installing a charging port and then share spots.

Also contact your alderman to ask what he/she might be able to do. Sometimes a call, threatening an ordinance that would require that the charging cost never exceed a certain amount (say 5-10% over the actual cost of electricity) will help them to see the light. :)

You need to talk to building management.
Setting the price too high will cause them to get zero revenue from the charging stations and never recoup their cost.
If you can't get them to listen to reason, you should move, because you live in a building run by idiots.

Also contact your alderman to ask what he/she might be able to do. Sometimes a call, threatening an ordinance that would require that the charging cost never exceed a certain amount (say 5-10% over the actual cost of electricity) will help them to see the light. :)

If you're there long term, you could also contact the city. California is very big on going green and wants to encourage the use of alternative fuels. Contact city officials and tell them your situation. I'm sure they will be really interested to know that your complex is ripping people off. I bet they don't even know because this is all relatively new.

Of course, this all depends on how much effort you want to put into this...

If you're there long term, you could also contact the city. California is very big on going green and wants to encourage the use of alternative fuels. Contact city officials and tell them your situation. I'm sure they will be really interested to know that your complex is ripping people off. I bet they don't even know because this is all relatively new.

Of course, this all depends on how much effort you want to put into this...

I am not going to be there for very long. When my management says 'the contract was already negotiated and is fixed at that rate to protect the hoa' I guess my only option is contact city officials, but by the time that has any impact I will likely be gone (6-12 months). It's the same reason I don't want to pay thousands and try to convince someone to let me install a private charger at their space, which the building also disallows and I would have to fight for.
There is only one other ev owner in my building and it's a rarely driven fisker. This is honestly surprising for me, but I think it's why this issue hasn't come to a head before

While I'm not going to defend $0.97/kWh as reasonable, remember that a large commercial property like a condo pays a separate demand charge, based on monthly peak usage. Someone probably did (poorly) a worst-case scenario, where the EVSE was operated exactly once per month for one hour, during the peak hour of the month, and in order to cover the increased demand charge, a $0.97/kWh rate would be needed. There's a hint that this is exactly what they did: "the contract was already negotiated and is fixed at that rate to protect the hoa". So, they've concocted a rate that is guaranteed never to cost other residents a dime, while driving up the cost to EV owners 6-fold.

If anyone is in a condo building in sf with public chargers and could quote me their rates on those chargers it would be extremely helpful information. Since a condo building energy costs are so different from a private residence I would like to see of the rate that I am seeing is in line with what's out there