TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is model S90D faster than S85D?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by electrocar, Oct 25, 2015.

1. electrocar

electrocar Member

Going with the notion that the P90D is faster than the P85D, does this apply to the non "P" versions?

2. cytranic

cytranic Member

Same speed

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yeah. The P90D is not "natively" faster than the P85D. It needs the Ludicrous option upgrade (at an additional $10k) to get the boost; otherwise, both are "Insane" by default.

4. DougH

DougH Active Member

I think we can drop the "S" now.

5. SM18

SM18 Member

The 90D has the same performance as the 85D. However, it might be able to do more consecutive launches before experiencing lower performance than the 85D. It should seriously be a tiny difference though. Something you wouldn't notice unless you regularly clock many back-to-back launches. I'd go with the 90D just to have max range, may as well if you're already going for an 85D.

6. JonG

JonG Member

But it's thought a P85D with ludicrous upgrade won't be as quick as a P90D with ludicrous. So I think the question is a good one.

ps.. I have a vested interest as I have a 90D on order

7. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

This. AFAIK, they are the same however MS gets slower once the limiter appears on the speedo, which is when the battery gets lower. The difference is the limiter should appear later on the 90 vs 85 given the same amount of driving assuming all other things are identical

8. mobe

mobe Member

I wonder what the limiter will look like now that V7 is out? Will it just have a statement under the digital speed number?