Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model X a good high mileage car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be starting a new job with a round trip commute about 140 miles 3x per week at least and anticipate driving 20k+ miles per year. I will be able to deduct vehicle purchase costs making the model X and 179 deduction quite attractive. I would also enjoy the size and comfort and alternative uses of the vehicle ie going up to the snow in the winter. However even with the deduction the Model 3 is cheaper especially as it can also be depreciated, just not as rapidly. It also wouldn’t stick out as much and is more efficient, nimble, easier to park etc.

Any thoughts on whether the Model X would hold up long term with 80-100k miles over just few years vs the 3 or S with so many more moving parts and less efficiency (but also free super charging). Is it worth the extra cost as a commute long distance car?

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
X is more complicated car with FWDs and auto presenting doors etc ..I also did a179 with my X and do similar commute to what u describe weekly ..I have a 100 battery ..i wouldn’t recommend smaller battery if winters are cold where you are at ..I’m at 27k miles in one year and holding well ..my previous S drove 68k miles with no repairs other than some tire changes

Low maintenance, 300,000 mile battery life. Neither are terrible.

But I do question your statement "starting new job" and 179 deduction. If you are working for someone else, I don't believe you can qualify for the Section 179. That applies to only your business use.

Low maintenance, 300,000 mile battery life. Neither are terrible.

But I do question your statement "starting new job" and 179 deduction. If you are working for someone else, I don't believe you can qualify for the Section 179. That applies to only your business use.

I’m a partner and our group has a new business site I have to set up next year so this should be deductible. I have been deducting a lease successfully as well as other business expenses for years but have not done a 179 deduction for a vehicle.

I have both an X and a 3. I enjoy driving the 3 around town more, and the smaller size and better efficiency are indeed cool. So are likely lower costs and better reliability.

However, the X is definitely more comfortable on long trips (and your commute is starting to get there), and can be used to haul more stuff and people, including towing. While the X has more customer issues, a lot of them are things like paint, how the door trim lines up, and door sensor issues which won't affect commuting comfort - and you putting lots of miles on it will not make those more likely to happen.

So, tough choice. I suspect you will enjoy either one, so this is a good problem to have. I recently did a detailed comparison of my cars HERE if you want even more input to consider.

Do you have another EV, or will this be your only one? If you have another one, I'd probably choose the 3 just because I love saving electricity and money. But if this will be your only one, the extra utility of the X might be worth getting, because you'll want to take your EV as often as possible.

If it's your only EV, you could also consider the S - efficiency quite a bit closer to the 3, and it stands out less than the X and is more reliable than the X. But it has most of the space and comfort of the X (although the door openings are a lot lower, and it is not rated to tow). The big downside to you is you can't depreciate it like the X, but I'd still consider it if it will be your only EV.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
While the X is definitely fun to drive, I have had so many issues that I have to return mine using the RVG. The most recent problem is that my right front brake rotor is getting torn to shreds and is making a horrible grinding noise when I brake. You know how Elon said brake pads and rotors may never have to be replaced due to regenerative braking? That’s just a bald-faced lie. I have attached a picture of my rotor at 60,000 miles. I can get a better picture if you would like to see.

I have been to service about 14 times since getting it in 2016. Right now my other issue is that my driver door does not open completely upon pressing, it only opens about a centimeter; I have to press again to get it to open. I have had the door open/shut mechanisms replaced at least 4 times. I’m outside of warranty, so I’m just dealing with the door.

I have kept it because the car still technically drives, so I decided to deal with it until my RVG kicked in. Sadly, I will very likely not be buying another Tesla.

Attachments

• 0B1CA126-EB00-4ED4-BB24-75C991D4F657.jpeg
    0B1CA126-EB00-4ED4-BB24-75C991D4F657.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 156
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Early X were full of issues. I knew someone who bought early models (sub 1000) and the car was constantly in the shop. I would not base expected long term reliability on current models off of the first year model. That being said, I would be pretty unhappy as well.

X is a remarkable road gobbling long distance cruiser. Quiet, smooth, powerful and lots of room. You sit up higher than in the sedans, which gives you a more aware view of traffic around you. The large panorama windshield goes a long ways to give you great visiblity.

King of the cruisers. It is not as fuel efficient as it's smaller cousins, but with the new Raven updates it gets 320 miles on it's standard 100 battery pack.

That Section 179 makes all the difference. You can trade up every couple years, essentially for free. Deductions are greater than the depreciation. With the Sedans you need to wait for at least 5 years.

Reactions: TechVP and Ulmo
X is a remarkable road gobbling long distance cruiser. Quiet, smooth, powerful and lots of room. You sit up higher than in the sedans, which gives you a more aware view of traffic around you. The large panorama windshield goes a long ways to give you great visiblity.

King of the cruisers. It is not as fuel efficient as it's smaller cousins, but with the new Raven updates it gets 320 miles on it's standard 100 battery pack.

That Section 179 makes all the difference. You can trade up every couple years, essentially for free. Deductions are greater than the depreciation. With the Sedans you need to wait for at least 5 years.
Paul, can you expand on how the 179 allows you to trade up every few years?

This was my initial thought until reading some of the reliability trends. I will also be working in a low income area where I happen to be doing very well and having an expensive car can come off as a bit pretentious. The 179 deduction the first year makes a lot of sense but I’m not sure how the upgrades after a few years will work since you are supposed to declare depreciation recapture when you sell.

My thoughts on this would be as follows:

Purchase X for $100k and get 45k tax rebates (net purchase price 55k and a great deal).

Sell X after 4-5 years. Let’s say 50% depreciation. Sell for 50k and have to add all of that 50k back as income (though you don’t have to pay social security taxes on this since it is declared on a separate form)

Buy new X and take new 179 deduction for $100k. I think the last year to do this is 2023 before tax law supposed to change. With this deduction vs the depreciation recapture net deduction is about 50k so save 20-22k in taxes off that purchase price. Not as good as first time around but better than a kick in the teeth.

I suspect you could give a depreciated asset to spouse after 5 year period and take the 179 deduction again in full and while I suspect they could sell after down the road and you wouldn’t likely be caught I don’t feel like this would be allowed. Other thoughts on avoiding depreciation recapture issues with a sale?

This was my initial thought until reading some of the reliability trends. I will also be working in a low income area where I happen to be doing very well and having an expensive car can come off as a bit pretentious. The 179 deduction the first year makes a lot of sense but I’m not sure how the upgrades after a few years will work since you are supposed to declare depreciation recapture when you sell.

My thoughts on this would be as follows:

Purchase X for $100k and get 45k tax rebates (net purchase price 55k and a great deal).

Sell X after 4-5 years. Let’s say 50% depreciation. Sell for 50k and have to add all of that 50k back as income (though you don’t have to pay social security taxes on this since it is declared on a separate form)

Buy new X and take new 179 deduction for $100k. I think the last year to do this is 2023 before tax law supposed to change. With this deduction vs the depreciation recapture net deduction is about 50k so save 20-22k in taxes off that purchase price. Not as good as first time around but better than a kick in the teeth.

I suspect you could give a depreciated asset to spouse after 5 year period and take the 179 deduction again in full and while I suspect they could sell after down the road and you wouldn’t likely be caught I don’t feel like this would be allowed. Other thoughts on avoiding depreciation recapture issues with a sale?

Any insight on how to best navigate a model x 179 when it come time to upgrade with regards to depreciation recapture?

Just note you can't do the full 179 deduction if you use it for personal transport. You will need to prorate by the number of miles driven personal vs. business.

Also, you should look into whether or not your trip counts as "commuting" since commuter miles are not deductible either. Based on my layperson's understanding of the law your mileage to and from the work place would not be deductible since it is neither a temporary job site nor is it in a different metropolitan area (70 miles each way would generally be the same metro area). But I would talk to an accountant to make sure whether you qualify or not.

I did the exact same thing you are inquiring about, I drive 35-50k a year. We bought a December 2016 90d with ap2. I put 75k on it with very little issues except for the delivery where nothing lined up etc... but since then it’s been great! I gave it to my wife at 80k miles and now I drive a model 3. Hw2 is starting to act a little funky at times vs 2.5 but I’m hoping when they “give us the new fsd computer” it all gets better.

Auction prices for model x’s With high miles has been holding up quite well, I have seriously been shocked the doors have had zero issues except the drivers door which just needed resetting. Knock on wood but fwd doors have been good.

Range is a huge deal if your a long commuter like I am. I’d like to get my hands on a raven 100 with 20’s to see what the “ real” range is! That’s seriously the biggest hold up on the model x from becoming a true family/adventure car. I never got above 220 miles on a single charge and that’s babying it. If it’s ever going to compete with real family Escalades or full size rr’s it needs a true 300-350. 150 kWh battery period. We will be the first in line when they put the new batteries in it, it’ll be a,azimuth but could be a few years out.

Anyway Good luck, my wife loves the car and so do kids. It’s just an average commuter as the model 3 rwd drives smoother faster and can get a real 325 range plus charge speeds are way faster. I’ll never not have an electric car with autopilot, full life changer.