Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model X better than most BMW / Mercedes SUV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently drive a Model 3, but if I ever get an SUV, would a Tesla SUV be better than a BMW or Mercedes SUV?

Currently my dad / mom own a Mercedes GLC AMG Edition 1. They let me take it one day to go snowboarding, so it was a good way to see how long distance driving was. But after driving it, I still preferred the Model 3 overall. I think I simply do not enjoy driving gas engine based cars, and it seems a car worth over $100k that still uses gas power is still inferior to a cheaper Tesla like the Model 3.

It may not be fair to compare a Mercedes GLC AMG to a Model 3. But I guess the most fair way to compare this Mercedes is with a top tier Model X with ludicrious mode.

I feel AMG is slow compared to any Tesla. I know its hand build and has more craftmanship than a Tesla, but its still slow even being built by hand. Like how Rolex has more craftmanship, but probably won't be as accurate as a Apple Watch and do less stuff than Apple Watch.

I feel Tesla is more precise when it comes to accelerating, gas engines has to fumble around with gears. I also like regenerate braking because I don't have to switch between gas & brake pedal all the time, and when I have to do that in a gas car, it causes more driving fatigue. And regen braking is nice for any trip going up a mountain, I assume electric cars with regen braking get to take advantage of downhill more than gas cars? Because I could use over half my electric charge to to Mt High (Ski resort in CA), but when I go back home from the same path, the car uses regen braking so it can still make it home even though it used more than half the charge to get up the mountain.

The only thing I think Mercedes and BMW is better on is the interior. But I wish they would consider doing large tablet like screens and minimize physical buttons. Those mouse pad style things to navigate the screen are slow and cumbersome, to the point it may be easier to just use your iphone to do directions. I like how the Tesla uses google maps style format so its easier to type stuff like "Disneyland" as POI or just type part of the address and most likely it knows which one it is. Even modern BMW & Mercedes GPS feel primitive, have small screens, to the point that iPhones are faster to find destinations.

Also, no autopilot. The Mercedes has some kind of form of self driving, but I don't know how to use it, and its likely not as streamlined as Tesla autopilot. I feel autopilot makes it so much easier to do long distance travel or roadtrips. Nice interior can't overcome Tesla autopilot when it comes to comfort in driving, or driver fatigue.

Depending on where you are, Tesla’s navigation is still worse than Waze. I hate CarPlay, but it does give you Waze. I do find it odd that I drive a $100k car with a 17” screen and use my iPhone for nav.

Good news is you can test drive them all, pick one, and see how it goes. Champagne problem.

Reactions: MXLRplus
I currently drive a Model 3, but if I ever get an SUV, would a Tesla SUV be better than a BMW or Mercedes SUV?

Currently my dad / mom own a Mercedes GLC AMG Edition 1. They let me take it one day to go snowboarding, so it was a good way to see how long distance driving was. But after driving it, I still preferred the Model 3 overall. I think I simply do not enjoy driving gas engine based cars, and it seems a car worth over $100k that still uses gas power is still inferior to a cheaper Tesla like the Model 3.

It may not be fair to compare a Mercedes GLC AMG to a Model 3. But I guess the most fair way to compare this Mercedes is with a top tier Model X with ludicrious mode.

I feel AMG is slow compared to any Tesla. I know its hand build and has more craftmanship than a Tesla, but its still slow even being built by hand. Like how Rolex has more craftmanship, but probably won't be as accurate as a Apple Watch and do less stuff than Apple Watch.

I feel Tesla is more precise when it comes to accelerating, gas engines has to fumble around with gears. I also like regenerate braking because I don't have to switch between gas & brake pedal all the time, and when I have to do that in a gas car, it causes more driving fatigue. And regen braking is nice for any trip going up a mountain, I assume electric cars with regen braking get to take advantage of downhill more than gas cars? Because I could use over half my electric charge to to Mt High (Ski resort in CA), but when I go back home from the same path, the car uses regen braking so it can still make it home even though it used more than half the charge to get up the mountain.

The only thing I think Mercedes and BMW is better on is the interior. But I wish they would consider doing large tablet like screens and minimize physical buttons. Those mouse pad style things to navigate the screen are slow and cumbersome, to the point it may be easier to just use your iphone to do directions. I like how the Tesla uses google maps style format so its easier to type stuff like "Disneyland" as POI or just type part of the address and most likely it knows which one it is. Even modern BMW & Mercedes GPS feel primitive, have small screens, to the point that iPhones are faster to find destinations.

Also, no autopilot. The Mercedes has some kind of form of self driving, but I don't know how to use it, and its likely not as streamlined as Tesla autopilot. I feel autopilot makes it so much easier to do long distance travel or roadtrips. Nice interior can't overcome Tesla autopilot when it comes to comfort in driving, or driver fatigue.
I think you may have answered your own question when you said, “I simply do not enjoy driving gas engine based cars”. I went from a Model 3 to a Model X last year. No regrets.

Reactions: EinSV and elguapo
Better is all relative.

The door handles on my Cadillac lit up at night. My Model X does not.

Does that make the Cadillac better?

It's all relative to what matters to YOU.

IMG_5574.JPG

I have one of the new X5 Msports and replaced my Model X with it. We have a few new Performance S’s and just traded in my P3+ on another S. My X5 only has 2000 or so miles on it because once you get used to the electric drive it seems like going backwards going to even a quick gas SUV. The build quality of the X5 is miles better than any of the Teslas but the drive system isn’t. If the BMW was electric it would be no contest and the BMW would be miles ahead on everything (including service) but for now we only drive the Teslas. The BMW is far better if you need to do a long trip and don’t want to kill time charging or if you tow, it I’d no contest and the gas wins.

• Funny
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I have one of the new X5 Msports and replaced my Model X with it. We have a few new Performance S’s and just traded in my P3+ on another S. My X5 only has 2000 or so miles on it because once you get used to the electric drive it seems like going backwards going to even a quick gas SUV. The build quality of the X5 is miles better than any of the Teslas but the drive system isn’t. If the BMW was electric it would be no contest and the BMW would be miles ahead on everything (including service) but for now we only drive the Teslas. The BMW is far better if you need to do a long trip and don’t want to kill time charging or if you tow, it I’d no contest and the gas wins.
No doubt Tesla has a long way to go on fit and finish but, as you said, the driving experience is so amazing with Teslas many of us will overlook the lack of a more upscale interior. That said, there’s a LOT going on in my Audi Q7 interior that’s just not needed and, to be honest, the seats are less comfortable than my X. My Audi (and former Mercedes) seems to have more “stuff” break or fail than my Teslas.

Some of this is just what you like. I get in my Audi now and think “jeez, there’s so many buttons and this knob thing, etc”. But it is, no doubt, a far more lux and well appointed interior than any Tesla.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I think you may have answered your own question when you said, “I simply do not enjoy driving gas engine based cars”. I went from a Model 3 to a Model X last year. No regrets.

I wasn't sure, but before I drove an electric car (the Tesla Model 3), there wasn't really a way to get around driving a gas car if it say were 2008-2010.

I someday may want to get an SUV, I don't need one now. I assume people with families need SUVs more than single people. I could use an SUV though to take my bunnies around because they need their pet stroller and carrier. I have to fold down my seats but since I drive alone its not a big deal, but I rather not fold my seats down all the time for that cleaner look. This is kind of where I wish Model 3 would make a trendy hatchback version so I could have cargo space but not have to get an SUV.

No doubt Tesla has a long way to go on fit and finish but, as you said, the driving experience is so amazing with Teslas many of us will overlook the lack of a more upscale interior. That said, there’s a LOT going on in my Audi Q7 interior that’s just not needed and, to be honest, the seats are less comfortable than my X. My Audi (and former Mercedes) seems to have more “stuff” break or fail than my Teslas.

Some of this is just what you like. I get in my Audi now and think “jeez, there’s so many buttons and this knob thing, etc”. But it is, no doubt, a far more lux and well appointed interior than any Tesla.

I was wondering if that Audi electric SUV could have the luxury interior that Tesla lacks on, but have the electric car function of a Tesla.

Also the seats in the Mercedes Edition 1 are bucket seats. They look cool, but they're not comfortable, and most people buying that car aren't race car drivers. True race cars would strip the plush interior, no AC, stereo, but most casuals aren't willing to go that far to feel race inspired.

For seats in an electric SUV, you will want the Jaguar I-Pace HSE Windsor seats. They are massively adjustable, thick leather, AC+Heat, and just feel great IMO. Both on long drives and track work, they are very good. The Audi seats are also better than the MX. The MX is the best fit for people over 250lb most likely. They are really wide seats. I miss my Jag seats for sure.

The Audi eTron isn't in the same acceleration class as the base MX or the I-Pace. As far as handling goes? Get the Taycan. Yee Haw. :D
It is not that the other EVs suck, they are all better than their gas equivalents, it's that the Taycan is the heaviest true sportscar ever built. But unless you are on a closed course, it's wasted talent.

I was wondering if that Audi electric SUV could have the luxury interior that Tesla lacks on, but have the electric car function of a Tesla.

Also the seats in the Mercedes Edition 1 are bucket seats. They look cool, but they're not comfortable, and most people buying that car aren't race car drivers. True race cars would strip the plush interior, no AC, stereo, but most casuals aren't willing to go that far to feel race inspired.
Etron range is 220 miles or so. Similar to iPace. That’s pretty weak, even compared to Y or 3. For now, that’s the massive advantage Tesla has in this space. As well as the supercharger network.

My Audi lease is up in 6 months, I tried to like the etron, but can’t get over the acceleration or range.

I will need two vehicles in Sept/Oct.. I’m struggling with value on the X with the price increase. Probably end up with a Y and hold out for the cybertruck by driving something less than ideal until we get an idea on order priority.

There's certainly quirks, pros and cons with each and ever choice you make. I've had a couple of BMWs and loved the Executive seats in them. There's things I still want to have in any car - HUD, heated/cooled seats with a proper thigh support, a divider with net for the cargo area, properly functioning lane warning in the side mirrors, a functional sunroof, gear selector and primary stalks for controls. I wish Tesla had acknowledged it instead of going for the overtly stark interior of the new Model X - especially the gear selector. I will say that BMW had good service, but my BMWs were garbage for reliability, retained value and were in for servicing and repairs far more regularly than they should have been. Paint wasn't anything to write home about on my 5 series - most of it was orange peel across the top, sides and back of the car. It also took about 6 months from the point of order to get it in hand (a disappointing delivery) and parts weren't always in stock. The software was a joke - it took a week to do an update because the server at the service shop kept crashing. I'm sure things have changed, but I won't go back to them. Their current advertising scheme is pure hyperbole - they can show and blow it.

Comparatively, my S has been flawless - the only issue was the rear camera that was replaced under warranty. Since the lease is coming to an end soon, I've elected to order an X - despite the quirks as I've looked at what's out there currently and I don't see that the competition is offering the right balance of range, power, capacity and comforts. I see other EVs coming to market later on that may serve my needs better such as Rivian, but I don't think of the X as a compromise. Additionally, I think they've all got to prove their platforms and all of the bits and pieces that go along with it before I would consider them. Tesla still has to make headway in service and parts along with much better turnaround times for repairs.

You need to think how you'll use it, your base requirements,each car's intrinsic values, and costs. Certainly shop around and see what you like/don't like before making a decision that you're comfortable with.

The thing that has always attracted me to 3-4 year old BMW's and Benzes is the absolutely meteoric depreciation, especially on anything priced at or above about $80k. You can pretty much count on picking one up for half-off, with only 3 years and ~36000 miles on them, as they come off lease.

The value proposition of X vs. the big lux manufacturers' 3-rows isn't there yet, at all IMO. You have to *want* the electric car stuff and/or the unique form factor the electric platform allows (comfortable 7-person seating in a car with the same footprint and car-like dynamics as an e-class Benz wagon, for instance). Otherwise, if you just want to haul lots of stuff and people in comfort for $60+g's, there are better choices. But, we were shopping in the 7-seat luxe SUV space and when Model X dropped into the top end of our budget, it was a no-brainer, because I didn't actually want an SUV, I wanted a wagon with jump seats, and Model X is a wagon that just happens to have the jump seats facing the wrong way

Last edited:
Reactions: TrevTremaine
The thing that has always attracted me to 3-4 year old BMW's and Benzes is the absolutely meteoric depreciation, especially on anything priced at or above about $80k. You can pretty much count on picking one up for half-off, with only 3 years and ~36000 miles on them, as they come off lease.

The value proposition of X vs. the big lux manufacturers' 3-rows isn't there yet, at all IMO. You have to *want* the electric car stuff and/or the unique form factor the electric platform allows (comfortable 7-person seating in a car with the same footprint and car-like dynamics as an e-class Benz wagon, for instance). Otherwise, if you just want to haul lots of stuff and people in comfort for $60+g's, there are better choices. But, we were shopping in the 7-seat luxe SUV space and when Model X dropped into the top end of our budget, it was a no-brainer, because I didn't actually want an SUV, I wanted a wagon with jump seats, and Model X is a wagon that just happens to have the jump seats facing the wrong way

For big SUVs, I’d add is our Q7 is big and my kids hate the third row. They can’t fit there. They ask to go in the X mainly because their legs can go under the second row. I don’t know if that’s true with the newer 7 seat config, but it’s awesome for my 2016. My Q7 third row is useless - not to mention really hard to get into.

Model X is a station wagon. Fight me

Why fight? That’s what my vehicle registration says, too. “Sport Wagon” is how the NJ MVC classifies the Model X.

For big SUVs, I’d add is our Q7 is big and my kids hate the third row. They can’t fit there. They ask to go in the X mainly because their legs can go under the second row. I don’t know if that’s true with the newer 7 seat config, but it’s awesome for my 2016. My Q7 third row is useless - not to mention really hard to get into.

It's funny - for us, the X replaced a Buick Enclave. Total opposite problem - the 3rd row is completely cramped on the X compared to the Enclave.... I get Buick doesn't have the caché of BMW/Audi/et al. but I'll put it right up there with them. The interior is well appointed, the feature-functions are great and it's a superbly comfortable ride for all 3 rows. We're fine with the 6-seater X (there's only 3 of us usually) but there's no denying it's more cramped than the Buick.

The only problem for us with the Enclave... it's gas-powered. Once I traded my Caddy out for a Model 3, and we realized that EVs are real *and* spectacular.... there was no chance we'd buy another gas-powered vehicle. Just had to make the move a few years early thanks to a wayward deer.

Reactions: FirstInTown