Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model X better than most BMW / Mercedes SUV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's exactly what the Model Y is.

Model Y's seating position ruins the whole car for me - you go back and forth between a 3 and a Y and it just feels wrong around a corner. Still a great car in a vacuum, but, there it is, that's why the world has so much variety. I'm seriously lower in my X on Low than the drivers I see bopping around in Y's. It's a more carlike driving position in the X IMO. With commensurately worse 2nd-row footroom, Model Y's footroom is business jet-like

For big SUVs, I’d add is our Q7 is big and my kids hate the third row. They can’t fit there. They ask to go in the X mainly because their legs can go under the second row. I don’t know if that’s true with the newer 7 seat config, but it’s awesome for my 2016. My Q7 third row is useless - not to mention really hard to get into.

Totally. The German 3-rows 3rd row is a penalty box for adults, for sure, and not as comfy for kids either, though the seat slide/tilt feature is easier on X7/GLS/Q7 beecause (at least on X7/GLS) wheelbase is longer so the rear wheelwell doesn't inhibit egress, and the mechanism wasn't the german company's very first crack at a tilt/fold seat...but once you're back there, footroom sucks and headroom, while good, isn't great. And the cargo well behind the 3rd row is a game changer, minivans have it usually, but not the SUV's that use that space to make sure the thing doesn't fall apart towing 7000+lb like they're all rated for.

I'm comfy at 5'11" behind the (non-pedestal, but still roomy footroom) 2nd row if it's slid forward, can even cross my legs if 2nd row isn't reclined too much, can sit in the 2nd row comfortably behind myself in the driver's seat even if 2nd row is slid forward. The packaging efficiency allowed by the skateboard design is something you really have to climb around in to apprecaite, and I hate it when cars are bigger outside than they need to be.

Where I think the Germans (South Carolinians?) have Tesla licked is build quality, Extra Interior Space and Captain of Industry Ride Height for Extra Luxury, and the little ergonomic and storage things that make cars easier to live with. Also, heat that doesn't chop your range in half. heh.

Last edited:
Reactions: elguapo
Depending on where you are, Tesla’s navigation is still worse than Waze. I hate CarPlay, but it does give you Waze. I do find it odd that I drive a $100k car with a 17” screen and use my iPhone for nav.

Good news is you can test drive them all, pick one, and see how it goes. Champagne problem.
I could care less about Waze, even though I was die hard Wazer before Tesla. I sometimes check and compare, and there is little if any difference. If it's a longer drive so what, the drive even in traffic in this starship, was stellar.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
I could care less about Waze, even though I was die hard Wazer before Tesla. I sometimes check and compare, and there is little if any difference. If it's a longer drive so what, the drive even in traffic in this starship, was stellar.
It depends on where you live, I guess. Tesla routinely leads me to the longest route or an inaccurate route. So much so, that I had to just stop using it. I’d take almost any nav OTHER than Tesla’s native nav at this point.

The thing that has always attracted me to 3-4 year old BMW's and Benzes is the absolutely meteoric depreciation, especially on anything priced at or above about $80k. You can pretty much count on picking one up for half-off, with only 3 years and ~36000 miles on them, as they come off lease.

The value proposition of X vs. the big lux manufacturers' 3-rows isn't there yet, at all IMO. You have to *want* the electric car stuff and/or the unique form factor the electric platform allows (comfortable 7-person seating in a car with the same footprint and car-like dynamics as an e-class Benz wagon, for instance). Otherwise, if you just want to haul lots of stuff and people in comfort for $60+g's, there are better choices. But, we were shopping in the 7-seat luxe SUV space and when Model X dropped into the top end of our budget, it was a no-brainer, because I didn't actually want an SUV, I wanted a wagon with jump seats, and Model X is a wagon that just happens to have the jump seats facing the wrong way

My dad never considers buying anything used. But he also gets anal about dings / scratches if he buys new. So I thought why not buy used and have the dings / scratches priced in so getting one more ding wouldn't make a difference.

I have considered the idea of buying a used BMW i8, there are alot of them for around $60k for 2015-17 models. I driven one and it's a much more pleasant ride than the Huracan, which I also driven, and much cheaper.

Depending on where you are, Tesla’s navigation is still worse than Waze. I hate CarPlay, but it does give you Waze. I do find it odd that I drive a $100k car with a 17” screen and use my iPhone for nav.

Good news is you can test drive them all, pick one, and see how it goes. Champagne problem.
I haven’t found a car yet that has better nav than Waze. ‍♂️

I currently drive a Model 3, but if I ever get an SUV, would a Tesla SUV be better than a BMW or Mercedes SUV?

Currently my dad / mom own a Mercedes GLC AMG Edition 1. They let me take it one day to go snowboarding, so it was a good way to see how long distance driving was. But after driving it, I still preferred the Model 3 overall. I think I simply do not enjoy driving gas engine based cars, and it seems a car worth over $100k that still uses gas power is still inferior to a cheaper Tesla like the Model 3.

It may not be fair to compare a Mercedes GLC AMG to a Model 3. But I guess the most fair way to compare this Mercedes is with a top tier Model X with ludicrious mode.

I feel AMG is slow compared to any Tesla. I know its hand build and has more craftmanship than a Tesla, but its still slow even being built by hand. Like how Rolex has more craftmanship, but probably won't be as accurate as a Apple Watch and do less stuff than Apple Watch.

I feel Tesla is more precise when it comes to accelerating, gas engines has to fumble around with gears. I also like regenerate braking because I don't have to switch between gas & brake pedal all the time, and when I have to do that in a gas car, it causes more driving fatigue. And regen braking is nice for any trip going up a mountain, I assume electric cars with regen braking get to take advantage of downhill more than gas cars? Because I could use over half my electric charge to to Mt High (Ski resort in CA), but when I go back home from the same path, the car uses regen braking so it can still make it home even though it used more than half the charge to get up the mountain.

The only thing I think Mercedes and BMW is better on is the interior. But I wish they would consider doing large tablet like screens and minimize physical buttons. Those mouse pad style things to navigate the screen are slow and cumbersome, to the point it may be easier to just use your iphone to do directions. I like how the Tesla uses google maps style format so its easier to type stuff like "Disneyland" as POI or just type part of the address and most likely it knows which one it is. Even modern BMW & Mercedes GPS feel primitive, have small screens, to the point that iPhones are faster to find destinations.

Also, no autopilot. The Mercedes has some kind of form of self driving, but I don't know how to use it, and its likely not as streamlined as Tesla autopilot. I feel autopilot makes it so much easier to do long distance travel or roadtrips. Nice interior can't overcome Tesla autopilot when it comes to comfort in driving, or driver fatigue.
If you do decide to go with a MB, especially, an AMG I suggest you get a new one with a warranty or buy a warranty. My family's repair shop has had to send away some customers crying when they quoted them the price to perform repairs on AMGs. These sometimes have special transmissions and engine parts that cannot be easily sourced in the secondary market. One young man brought in an AMG sedan with a bad transmission. Local transmission shops would not touch it. And when they tried to source a rebuilt one it was nearly $12,000. The poor guy muttered something about only paying $25,000 for the car and ended up towing it away. There is a reason these cars are cheap to buy in the used market.

Gas stations suck.

Personally, I happily gave up the “fit and finish” and “plush interior” of my fully optioned Q5 for our X. I like the minimalist interior. To each their own. Meaning, feel free to be wrong!

As to the “station wagon” label, how many 8 year olds think a station wagon is cool? That’s right. None. But the falcon wing doors get them every time.

• Love
Reactions: elguapo and dmurphy
Gas stations suck.

Personally, I happily gave up the “fit and finish” and “plush interior” of my fully optioned Q5 for our X. I like the minimalist interior. To each their own. Meaning, feel free to be wrong!

As to the “station wagon” label, how many 8 year olds think a station wagon is cool? That’s right. None. But the falcon wing doors get them every time.
Gas stations do indeed suck. It's going to be hard to convince me to buy anything that is gas powered in the future unless it's towing something a lot.

And people who don't like station wagons also suck. Wagons are cool. Show me a car enthusiast who can't appreciate a good longroof and I'll show you an insecure manbaby

Model X is a wagon with a funny shaped roof and doors that don't work right, but otherwise, it's a pretty dang good wagon

Gas stations do indeed suck. It's going to be hard to convince me to buy anything that is gas powered in the future unless it's towing something a lot.

And people who don't like station wagons also suck. Wagons are cool. Show me a car enthusiast who can't appreciate a good longroof and I'll show you an insecure manbaby

Model X is a wagon with a funny shaped roof and doors that don't work right, but otherwise, it's a pretty dang good wagon
I had a Ford LTD Estate Wagon back in the day. The rear facing back seats were just as sketchy as the Model Y or Model S third row.

Always wanted a CTS-V Wagon. Nobody suspects the wagon to deliver 0-60 in under 4.

No doubt Tesla has a long way to go on fit and finish but, as you said, the driving experience is so amazing with Teslas many of us will overlook the lack of a more upscale interior. That said, there’s a LOT going on in my Audi Q7 interior that’s just not needed and, to be honest, the seats are less comfortable than my X. My Audi (and former Mercedes) seems to have more “stuff” break or fail than my Teslas.

Some of this is just what you like. I get in my Audi now and think “jeez, there’s so many buttons and this knob thing, etc”. But it is, no doubt, a far more lux and well appointed interior than any Tesla.
I've mentioned it in the forum before, but it deserves re-stating here. In 2019, I traded a 2016 BMW 7-Series (750Li) for my new Model X (P100D) and while the interior of the 7-Series was festooned with nicer materials, and the fit and finish were superb, there's just something about the sleek, minimal, modern Tesla interior aesthetic that helps me look past any of the shortcomings in materials or fit. I've owned a LOT of nice cars over the years, but the Tesla Model X is by far my favorite of them all.

I've mentioned it in the forum before, but it deserves re-stating here. In 2019, I traded a 2016 BMW 7-Series (750Li) for my new Model X (P100D) and while the interior of the 7-Series was festooned with nicer materials, and the fit and finish were superb, there's just something about the sleek, minimal, modern Tesla interior aesthetic that helps me look past any of the shortcomings in materials or fit. I've owned a LOT of nice cars over the years, but the Tesla Model X is by far my favorite of them all.

That was the thing I noticed. Parents owned many Mercedes / BMW / Lexus in the past and I was just used to that. Going from those traditional luxury car to a Tesla Model 3 was different, and my previous driven car was a BMW M3 Lime Rock.

The BMW M3 Lime Rock def got more attention than my Tesla, especially being bright orange. I wasn't a big fan of daily driving it, it wasn't a smooth driving car and its hard to drive a race inspired gas engine car at legal speeds all the time. Also I felt targeted by cops, some may follow me around reminding me not to try have any fun with it.

That's why I looked for a new car, and took a chance on Tesla because the day I test drove one, it felt like a car I always wanted but didn't exist. It had the speed of a sports car, but can still be driven comfortably at legal speed limits. Especially adding autopilot, you can conserve your driving energy.

Reactions: jboy210 and focher
Gas stations suck.

Similar here. We came into the X from a Volvo XC90 R-Design. That car had amazing seats, a great interior design, and we loved it.

The X is waaaaayyyy better overall. More fun to drive, more functional interior (if not as svelte), full 'tank' every time it leaves the garage, much better infotainment experience...

Similar here. We came into the X from a Volvo XC90 R-Design. That car had amazing seats, a great interior design, and we loved it.

The X is waaaaayyyy better overall. More fun to drive, more functional interior (if not as svelte), full 'tank' every time it leaves the garage, much better infotainment experience...

Bingo. Same here. Came out of a 2018 Buick Enclave. Loved its interior - was thrilled. It got waffled by a deer and after the 3rd post-repair failure, I sold it at a buy-here-pay-here used car lot. As good as it looks, nobody else would touch it because the subframe had been twisted and repaired.

Anyway, I think the interior is every bit as nice as the Model X. It was huge, functional, and supremely comfortable. (Seriously, no armrests on our 6-seater Model X?!)

But the benefits you mention - more fun, full "tank" every day, Autopilot, (soon) FSD, all the tech stack and all the other EV benefits far outweigh the things we gave up on the Buick.

(For fun, here are the photos of our former Buick at the buy-here-pay-here lot. You'd have no idea it had a deer crash with airbag deployment and over $20k in repairs.... plus a twisted subframe.)