Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model X good for 2 young kids?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an owner of a model S and a model X I'm going to be contrarian and suggest the model S is better for this situation.
We bought our model S in 2013 when our kids were 1 and 3 and we bought our first model X as a signature model X when they came out. We still have our 2013 S p85 7 seater and are now on our third X... A p100d 6 seater (the signature X was a 7 seater).
We've driven our S 70k miles and both the S and the X's have done California to Colorado multiple times. We've been trying to get the X to work for us for years but it doesn't and we intend to ditch the X soon.
The S is a great car, and the X had so much potential.

Advantages of the S:

* The S is better as a 7 seater with 2 young kids. The back row of each car can realistically only fit children. However in the S you can reach then easily in the third row to buckle up. The only issue is that babies can't go in the third row of the S.

* The traditional back doors of the S are slightly less bad than the falcon won't doors. In most garages and multistorey carparks the falcon won't doors only go up halfway or a quarter of the way, requiring an override to get them open enough for an adult to access, and they are slow. This has been an issue with all our X's and all our homes.

* The S suits better for caring large items. None of our Xs have had folding middle row... So the S is our go to car for Ikea trips.

* The S is better for ski trips... You can put a box on the roof and put all skis and Boots in there. The Teslas trunk ski rack just isn't great for banking into superchargers or for carrying lots of great.

* There S is better for large family vacations. 7 people and a skybox 21 on the roof fits loads of stuff and people. A big box on the back of the X is a hassle at superchargers and fits less stuff than the roof box.

* The S has better fuel economy and range, and is cheaper

* The S is a simpler car with fewer warranty repairs so far.

Advantages of the X:

* Air conditioning in the third row.

* More internal space... I measured it with some trial packing of the same great in both our X and our S... The X wins by about one carry on bad, until you put a box on the roof of the S.

* That fancy wizards of the winter show the X can do and otherwise wowing friends.

* The hitch is the best place for bikes. The X can tow but we have not towed anything yet.

Of course in our case simply because the X is newer it has autopilot and AWD.

Reactions: RyanC1384
We have a 2 year old and a newborn on the way. One of the attractions of the X is how easy it is to get car seats and kids in and out (versus traditional SUV doors). How many do you typically have in your car and what are their ages? What about the X is good for younger kids and bad for younger kids? (I am not worried about the "messy" factor). Any help / experience is appreciated about trunk space, mileage, safety, convenience, etc.... when it comes to the X and having kids in it.

Don't forget, there is the front trunk. That is where I store the grandkids. Enough room for a pair of 8 year olds! </grin>

Thought I’d chime in. We are pretty much in the exact same situation, a 2.7 year old
and a new one on the way. My wife needed some convincing for us to pull the trigger on a Model X, 75D, but after 1700 miles in two weeks, she has zero regrets, and is now wishing we could get the P100D;)

We opted for the 7 seater, and every single day getting into the car we love the easy access when putting our daughter in her car seat. My dad-in-law insists on sitting in the third row whenever he comes over, and with the two-seat second row pushed all the way forward, theres actually quite a lot legroom back there. We test drove a Audi Q7 before buying the MX, and in comparison it was horrible for third row seating and trunk space with third row up.

We took delivery on 12/22, and went on a roadtrip to Vancouver, BC for new years weekend, had both in-laws in the second row and our daughter in her Priya 85 Maxi Cosi in the third row. Stuffed all our luggage in the frunk and trunk (including a stroller folded up inside the trunk) and folded the second third row seat for extra storage and we still had plenty of space to spare We had two supercharger stops from Portland to Vancouver, and we used destination charging in Vancouver. Stops were necessary for other reasons then charging (arrived at both stops with 20%+ to spare), so it was no hassle at all to do the roadtrip.

The extra space on the floor from
not having a driveshaft and transmission is really underrated and adds so much space for your feet. And the huge windshield is incredible not only for the driver but for
the people in the second row and even third row too!

When our new baby arrives, we’ll be sure to use the option of having our toddler
in the third row if we have the grandparents over, to have adults in second row with tons of legroom.

Also, our daughter now has a huge fan base of kids at her daycare when we come to pick her up. They all are in awe of the falcon wing doors when they open, and then silently, ninja away after.

We even have the white interior, and so far its held up perfectly. I would definitely recommend the 7 seater Model X for your situation.

My wife has a GMC Denali and I have a Model X. Let’s just say that the Model X blows away the easy entry and car seat access. The ability to buckle the kids in and grab the stuff easily off the floor they throw down is a lot easier. I highly recommend the six seater over the seven X for kids. It’s just easier for friends and other kids to get in the back without having to take out a car seat to move the seat. My kids are 10 and 7 now.