Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model X sun-on-head problem any worse than Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I keep reading press reports that Model X has a "problem" with the sun beating down on occupants' heads - but is this issue any worse than other cars with panoramic glass? I have no problem with my Model S's pano roof on hot sunny days in Southern California. Yes, the S has a front cross beam that the Model X does not have, but it's still a mostly-glass roof.

Just wondering because I am on the fence about getting an X next.

Yes, it is worse. The tinting (at least on my signature 22x) fades slowly from back to front, so there are several times during the day on sunny days, where the sun is shining through a less than full tint. Tesla is now shipping sunshades with each Model X and I took the extra step of adding extra tint to the windshield. With the extra tint, it is fine.

Last edited:
It goes from really good to really bad depending on time of day. Just imagine the sun shining at an angle just above the sun visors. Even with extra tint it's no fun trying to drive with sun in this position. But the free shade Tesla is sending everyone should address this problem.

It's not comparable to the pano sun exposure, in my opinion. It's much more direct. The pano is more above you, or above-and-behind you. The crossbeam on the Model S also is insulated and has headliner material, so there's no heat radiation from it. In the X, the windshield can have quite a bit of heat radiation, even if the transparency isn't bothering you. I've measured the surface temperature of the windshield over 130F. I've found that lowering the height of my seat and blowing the AC vents up and over my head helps quite a bit to move that heat away. But it's definitely a difference over the S.

@K-MTG - the guy who wrapped my car and tinted the windows said there is no product in the market to cover the top of the huge windshield. Would like to know what you got done and advise my guy to look into it as he gets a lot of Model Xs.

I think I've read that Photosync may be one of the only brands that comes in a roll large enough to cover the front windshield with one single piece. But that's my faulty memory...

And that's what I got. It's expensive relative to all the others, though, and only available through a few dealers.

• Helpful
Reactions: xkwizit
Those of you who are tinting your X windshield, how far down/forward do you go? To the top of the sunvisors?

I'm looking to the future and my Model 3 windshield, which although not quite as expansive as the X windshield, appears to go much farther above and back compared to the S. I have no plans to get an X.

When the sun is shining through the front, you really feel it. Maybe not the direct sun on your skin, but I definitely feel the heat. Just got my windshield tinted, and haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet.

@K-MTG, what tint did you get?

10% ceramic

@K-MTG - the guy who wrapped my car and tinted the windows said there is no product in the market to cover the top of the huge windshield. Would like to know what you got done and advise my guy to look into it as he gets a lot of Model Xs.
@Roentgen - would like to hear from you too.

And pictures if possible

Photos: Tesla Model X – Photos | Mac Tech Genius

Video:

When you tint the windshield, you only tint the top down to behind where the visor goes, so you don't see a line when you have the visor flipped down. And it is actually two pieces of tint, since there is a line that goes smack dab in the middle of the overhead part of the windscreen to hold the wires for the camera and rear view mirror, so you don't need a giant piece of tint.

Those of you who are tinting your X windshield, how far down/forward do you go? To the top of the sunvisors?

I'm looking to the future and my Model 3 windshield, which although not quite as expansive as the X windshield, appears to go much farther above and back compared to the S. I have no plans to get an X.
When you tint the windshield, you only tint the top down to behind where the visor goes, so you don't see a line when you have the visor flipped down. And it is actually two pieces of tint, since there is a line that goes smack dab in the middle of the overhead part of the windscreen to hold the wires for the camera and rear view mirror, so you don't need a giant piece of tint.

Some people (like me) have gotten the entire windshield tinted. Mine is one large piece, cut around the wire and rear mirror assembly. It was done well, with no daylight showing around the structures. Getting just the top is another option I'm sure many have also gotten. Legal issues may dissuade some from going the full windshield route.

It's been really hot here in Texas this week and I've driven my car in bright sunlight a few times between 2pm and 6pm. I notice NO heat on my head and I'm 6'5" so my head is fairly close to the roof.
Check out this pic in my garage comparing my Model X to my Volvo XC60 and how IR light is reflected by the Model X windshield. This is from a Foscam camera with an IR wavelength about 850nm. I've also included a chart that shows the wavelength spectrum of sunlight from Visible to IR and it's irradiance amount.
IMG_1482.png IMG_1479.jpg

i live in the phoenix area, love the windshield and havent noticed anything that is much different from other cars i've driven. i have gotten a reflective sunshade for when it is parked, but thats just business as usual here. The car detailer who wrapped the front end in expel is going to contact me when they have windshield coating large enough for it, which i will add as well to further reduce the heat.

• Love
Reactions: krazineurons
Very different experience, we drove about 200 miles each way to/from Columbia, MO this weekend and felt that the sun overhead was quite hot and really seemed to heat the cabin. So much so that we chose to put the upper piece of the HeatShield sunscreen in place for the last half of the trip up and the entire trip home which really helped shade the interior and made for a much more comfortable ride. We're eager to get our official sun shade.

another high 90's day for me in Austin. Drive home was fine. I keep AC on full Auto and 70°. I have to have my hand within an inch of the windshield or touching it to feel any kind of heat. At lunch today, the internal temp got to 137. I turned on the AC from my phone 45 seconds before getting into the car and it was just fine when I got in. AC works amazingly well and the ability to turn it on from phone is awesome.

Reactions: calisnow and Mark Z
I think I've read that Photosync may be one of the only brands that comes in a roll large enough to cover the front windshield with one single piece. But that's my faulty memory...

And that's what I got. It's expensive relative to all the others, though, and only available through a few dealers.

Roentgen,

May I ask how much you spent?

Cosmacelf,

IIRC, you're also in the San Diego area. Can I ask who you used?

Thanks in advance guys.