Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model X's efficiency really this bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Temperature and trip distance have a dramatic effect on efficiency in Model X. Here is my current chart of energy consumption vs. temperature on my X 90D for different drive distances over 18,000 miles in New England (hilly, but not mountainous) -- 339 Wh/mile lifetime. Note that rated efficiency is consistently attained between 55 and low 80's F, but blows up rapidly outside that range:
View attachment 219886

Thank you for the graph! What you describe matches my experience (P90D), except I'd say that I saw even worse performance in cold temperatures. -10C (14 F) results in 300-350 Wh/km (480-560 Wh/mi).

It's a bit of a shock, coming from a Model S 85. I drove all the way across North America and averaged 180 Wh/km (288 Wh/mi) in the Model S. At low speed in city driving and avoiding using friction brakes as much as possible, at mild temperatures, I could get as low as 140 Wh/km (224 Wh/mi) on a round trip. The lowest I've ever managed in the X is 180 Wh/km (288 Wh/mi). If I had to give a rule of thumb, I would say that the X consumes about 25% more than the S at highway speeds.

The other difference I find is that it takes a huge amount of energy to heat the X up, which is not surprising given the extra volume and the large glass area, including the roof. The S I had did not have the "pano" roof. A roof with a lot of glass looks cool and all, but is really terrible for energy usage in cold climates.

Still, I like being able to get into the vehicle without contortions. I'm a tall guy, it was not easy to get into an S. And now when I'm stopped at a traffic light I can actually see the light without leaning forward to look up! :)

Reactions: Ulmo
Temperature and trip distance have a dramatic effect on efficiency in Model X. Here is my current chart of energy consumption vs. temperature on my X 90D for different drive distances over 18,000 miles in New England (hilly, but not mountainous) -- 339 Wh/mile lifetime. Note that rated efficiency is consistently attained between 55 and low 80's F, but blows up rapidly outside that range:
View attachment 219886

Really informative graph and reflective of what am seeing in our 2 week old 60D 20inch here in the UK.

First week of ownership temp was 40-50F, and seeing 350-400 Wh/mile. Last week with Spring arriving, temp more like 50-60F, energy use now improving to 300-350 Wh/mile. Uk temp hardly go over 80F so bring on summer :)

I am on the struggle bus with my average. I traveled just over 200 miles today. Roughly half on interstate at 78mph and the other half on state roads. Managed to average 407Wh/mi which was after some careful driving when off the interstate.

However, at 78mph, AC on, ventilated seat on, flat roads, 75F, light wind, 22"wheels, I am right around 450Wh/mi.

Does that seem right?

What is the magic speed to set cruise/AP at to get the rated miles assuming light wind, 22" wheels, 80F AC on, and flat ground? 65mph? I realize it's not really possible to reply with 64.7mph... Just wondering what the best educated guess is.

I am on the struggle bus with my average. I traveled just over 200 miles today. Roughly half on interstate at 78mph and the other half on state roads. Managed to average 407Wh/mi which was after some careful driving when off the interstate.

However, at 78mph, AC on, ventilated seat on, flat roads, 75F, light wind, 22"wheels, I am right around 450Wh/mi.

Does that seem right?

What is the magic speed to set cruise/AP at to get the rated miles assuming light wind, 22" wheels, 80F AC on, and flat ground? 65mph? I realize it's not really possible to reply with 64.7mph... Just wondering what the best educated guess is.

For me 68 mph seems like the magic number (20" wheels) . Personally, I don't see much advantage to 22" wheels, other than the awesome way they look... costs you 10%+ in range loss or 40-50 Wh/mi.

What wheels?

Sorry, forgot that detail.... 20"
@EV-lutioin, your wheel size is in your signature too.

Does that seem right?

You're going to have to go painfully slow to get the rated Wh/m on the 22's. It's about time for me to put mine back on and I'm hesitating. I would rather have that little bit of extra range for when I have bikes on the back. I'm also starting to consider selling the OEM 22's and buying some nice light 22's.

As an example on our big trip last year we drove a leg from the Murdo, SD supercharger to the Mitchell, SD supercharger. This was 140 miles and I drove between 75 and 80 the entire route. AC as ON with outside temps around 85 and cabin temps around 75. We had two people but lots of luggage. Over this range we dropped only about 900 FT in elevation and I recall a decent head-wind. This was with 20" wheels on our 90D.

The entire leg we averaged right at 400 Wh/Mile.

This is probably the worst segment we drove on the trip with maybe a couple of shorter segments slightly higher Wh/Mile. The entire 4800 mile trip averaged 337 Wh/Mile. You can read more about it here.

Does that seem right?

Somewhere in the 65-70 range I think. I've seen my rated as a 30 average at 70 a few times in nearly ideal conditions, and routinely at 65 in anything resembling good conditions.

Model X consumption gets ugly very quickly as the speeds rise...

Put your phone side way.

My 60D average is 304 with 20". I think the weight plays a role too. When I test drove a 90D with 20", the best I could do was about 330.

That's more or less inline with expectations. My 75D is rated at about 308 Wh/mile, and I think the 90D is ~330?

I'm not sure why, but small battery Teslas have historically been consistently rated better than larger battery, and by a number that's larger than the ~3% weight difference. Maybe the lower system voltage results in less loss in the inverter at low power levels?

wk057, I've been ranting about the poor range of my X90D in a few other threads. Like for my dialy commutes in the Seattle area, I've been averaging upper 400 wh/mile this winter... which is pretty bad. I set the cabin at 70F and drive between 30mins to an hour.

That said over the first 1500miles last summer I averaged 370wh/mile. The winter performance has been pretty bad.. sometimes over 500wh/mile. Service center thinks my car is doing pretty good compared to the fleet... which really upsets me.

I'd like to know how to track hvac and other accessory power. If you could help me with that, I'll share more detailed info. Thanks.

wk057, I've been ranting about the poor range of my X90D in a few other threads. Like for my dialy commutes in the Seattle area, I've been averaging upper 400 wh/mile this winter... which is pretty bad. I set the cabin at 70F and drive between 30mins to an hour.

That said over the first 1500miles last summer I averaged 370wh/mile. The winter performance has been pretty bad.. sometimes over 500wh/mile. Service center thinks my car is doing pretty good compared to the fleet... which really upsets me.

I'd like to know how to track hvac and other accessory power. If you could help me with that, I'll share more detailed info. Thanks.

Wow. What kind of wheels/tires? What is your commute like? mostly stop and go? all easy highway miles?