Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model Y a luxury car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. I do not think it's a luxury vehicle.

I do think it's:
1) An incredible piece of "drivable tech"
2) An incredible machine (4.25 tons, 0-60 under 5 seconds, ~300 miles range, 250 wh/mile efficient, all with a hatchback and loads of storage...)

Which means that, while it is not (IMO) "luxurious," it is "fun" and "practical." And at my core I am fundamentally more of a "fun and practical" guy than I am a "luxury" guy, so it's a great fit for me/my family...

Reactions: N..8
It also depends on the trim level. The Performance versions are the quickest cars on the market at their price point, and even much higher than their price point. The M3P and MYP are performance vehicles far more than luxury, and that's totally OK :)

No, would you say the major BMW series are all luxury (3, 5, 7) or only the 7? Same with S class vs C class for Mercedes.

If there is a luxury car it’s S or X but they are just stepped up 3 and Y.

IMO they are tech cars, maybe even premium cars, but I wouldn’t say luxury.

I agree with what many have said already.

Teslas aren't luxury vehicles and to regularly try to compare them to luxury vehicles at the same price point is missing "the point".

Tesla's are electric vehicles...plain and simple. The premium price is for the best EV technology available right now.

As more EV offerings come to market from other manufacturers, we'll see if the premium price continues to be justified.

In the case of the Mach-E vs the Model Y, at comparable trim levels, I would argue the Tesla is still the better electric vehicle while the Mach-E is the better overall vehicle.

I was ready to get a Mach-E GT but having other CCS capable EVs made me realize I wanted the Tesla Supercharger capabilities for my long distance travel EV, hence my switch to the Model Y Performance.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
My definition of luxury is luxury appointments which the Tesla does not have. Quilted seats, fine leather, attention to detail everywhere and a luxurious ride. None of these are included in a Model Y so I would say no it is not a luxury car. All of us know what we are buying from the getgo so no reason to complain about the price vs luxury because the only thing "luxury" about a model Y is the price and performance. That being said, I love my Y, never been so exited about owing a car since my first brand new car in 1981, a Toyota Supra.
Dont forget the luxury maintenance ;) it takes a german engineer to replace some oil filters out there

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Define 'luxury'. Is it an appliance like a Toyota/Honda? I don't think so because Tesla seems to have more appeal and an enthusiastic following. The technology it offers is pretty close in areas and surpasses in others. QC leaves more to be desired but fit and finish so far seem to be pretty good. Ride isn't as buttery smooth as an Audi or Mercedes or BMW but the luxury manufacturers have focused too much on luxury and not on the drive at all. They're all mostly just boats now that are incredibly hard to drive because steering is too light and there is zero feel through the wheel. I think Tesla may lean towards the luxury side of things(they're priced that way) but we can't call them a full blown luxury brand just yet. When Tesla irons out bugs, I think they'll get the full luxury brand stamp from me.

Also: More loaner cars at service centers.

I'm actually enjoying my Model Y. I wish it had air suspension so I could tailor the drive to my mood and raise and lower the car for efficiency or to put stuff in it but other then that, it's an incredible vehicle. I was going to get a Q5 but not having to ever go to a gas station or go in for an oil change was big for me. Leaving the house with a full 'tank' really is great.

Last edited:
It all depends on your definition of Luxury, varies per person. I have owned a lot of cars over the years. I wouldn't call a Model 3 or Y Tesla a luxury car anymore then I would call my BMW 335i a luxury car, or even my M3. I would put all of those in the same class. Now its not an economy car by any means, its not a Subaru or Toyota etc... But to me luxury is really opulent and super comfy, gives you something no other car might. Sure we might have some cool tech, but we don't even have Apple Car Play or Android Auto so in some ways the tech is a wash... Maybe a S or X could be called one in a top trim level. I mean the X certainly has its unique features.. doors that auto close, gull-wing doors etc.. But others might say luxury is a Rolls Royce.... really its a sliding scale I think.

I think that there are "luxury cars" for poor (M3, MY, Audi A3/4/6, Q3,Q5, MB C class and under, etc), "luxury cars" for rich (Audi A8L/S8, MB S class, Model S/X performance), and luxury cars (RR, Bugatti, etc.)

Luxury of any category means to me that the car has significant properties unnecessary for its primary function (moving you from A to B) and costing extra $$ compared to an average utility car (Accord, Jetta, Camry, Focus, CRV, etc.).