Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model Y not compatible with the wall connector with Elon Signature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently sold my unopened Wall Connector with Elon Musk signature that I got from referral program.

The guy who bought told me that they installed it in their house and it didn’t work. He said that he appparently called Tesla and that this wall connector is not compatible new Model Y. Is this true?

Last edited:
No, its not true. Those are regular Gen 2 wall connectors. There is nothing that would keep it from working with a model Y (or any tesla) if it was setup correctly.

I have a hard time believing that someone from tesla actually told them that, and that this is not some sort of bad "telephone game" situation (where you told us that they said that tesla told them that.... etc).

thanks guys! turns out he didn’t switch the dial to D which is for 80A. but now, he is complaining he is only getting 48A instead of 80A. is Model Y capable of 80A? is this a certain configuration?
The person you sold this to really needed to do more research. I would be annoyed. It is likely they didn't properly wire the unit for 80A either, as this requires some really beefy wire and a 100A breaker. You can't just set the dial to a particular amperage without doing the prerequisites for it. I'd be suspicious that they even wired it for 48A properly - and when the wiring burns up, it sounds like they're going to blame you again.

I’m generally pretty helpful when I can be but if I was in your shoes this has gone on beyond reasonable help.

My response at this point:

It was sold as new and works as you confirmed.
The initial issue was incorrect configuration on your part (or that of your installer) and a lack of knowledge on the capabilities of your vehicle. Please refer to your installer and/or Tesla as it’s important to get professional qualified help on installation matters as this is a lot of power you’re playing with and it’s a question of doing so safely.

I’m generally happy to help where I can but now we have confirmed the unit works I can’t be your general technical support person re charging your car.

If he gets awkward beyond that:

You bought it, it works.
It was not a free home trial to decide if you like it.
If you don’t like it, are disappointed in any way, or simply have buyers remorse maybe sell It on, you should have no difficulty in doing so.

Did he update Model Y software? The problem is Elon signature can't be updated over WiFi and causes compatibility issues. Now he needs to find Elon to get an updated signature version!
What issues? I was under the impression that Gen1/Gen2 wall connectors were updated by the vehicles, if they're even updated at all. Not much info on that in the wild.

Never heard of any compatibility issues with a Gen2 connector on any Tesla vehicle, though. All Tesla chargers work on all Tesla vehicles except the roadster.

Edit: found some old info on the HPWC being updated by a vehicle: "Charge Connector Update in Progress..."

Last edited:
What issues? I was under the impression that Gen1/Gen2 wall connectors were updated by the vehicles, if they're even updated at all. Not much info on that in the wild.

Never heard of any compatibility issues with a Gen2 connector on any Tesla vehicle, though.

Edit: found some old info on the HPWC being updated by a vehicle: "Charge Connector Update in Progress..."
It was a joke :)

thanks for the reply guys. i was foolish enough to take it back when the buyer initially can’t make it work. i have a chargepoint charger at home and was just thinking of replacing it with this. while inspecting the returned tesla charger, that’s where i found out that they did not configure it properly. it’s clear in the provided manual that you have to change the dial to the desired Amp.

when i told them about the setting, they re-bought it back.

next time, i won’t be generous to take an item back. once i sell something (specially new/unopened item), shouldn’t be my problem anymore

thanks for the reply guys. i was foolish enough to take it back when the buyer initially can’t make it work. i have a chargepoint charger at home and was just thinking of replacing it with this. while inspecting the returned tesla charger, that’s where i found out that they did not configure it properly. it’s clear in the provided manual that you have to change the dial to the desired Amp.

when i told them about the setting, they re-bought it back.

next time, i won’t be generous to take an item back. once i sell something (specially new/unopened item), shouldn’t be my problem anymore
I'm a pretty seasoned electrical guy and even I read the manual before installing my HPWC.... wow. You pretty much have to - these are unique pieces of equipment. Sorry you had to go through that.