Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model Y worth the extra 4K compared to Model 3

Is Model Y worth the extra 4K compared to Model 3

• Yes

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I do not care - I just want a Model Y

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The pricing between any model of Y vs Model 3 is 4K difference. The Model Y is almost like Model 3 except you sit higher, panoramic root, pay extra to have extra people (not sure an adult can fit) and extra cargo space.

Is it worth for 4K difference?

I have a Model 3 LR, Dual Motor with (legacy) EAP, premium white interior and 19" wheels plus 18" Aero winters. If I was in the market now for a car, and the Y was available, and the difference was about $4K, I would personally get the Y.
- I like sitting higher
- A little more room overall in the cabin
- Hatchback type design
- Ability to transport hockey sticks and skiis without having to fold down the rear seat to access the trunk.

Is that "worth" $4K?

If it makes you happier and over the life of the car, then yes.

I remember after my old 76 SuperBeetle, and used Toyota Tercel, the first new car I ever bought a was a Mazda Protege (as it was called in Canada - may have always been the 3 in the US). I don't recall exactly which model year, but the "existing" model year did not have a tach in the dash -instead it had one large speedo circle and one large circle where they stuck a clock where the tach should have been. The "new" incoming model had a tach in the dash at all trim levels.

I remember sitting in the dealership and the salesperson was trying to move the existing in stock (current year) models and was offering extremely competitive pricing to try and get me to take the current model rather than wait for the incoming (a couple of weeks). And I remember him saying "you are going to pay an extra [$1,500] just so you can have a tach in the dash? Is that worth $1,500? (Or however much it was)]. And my response was, "yes, because once the money was gone, it would be gone, and because every single time I get in the car and look down, I will know that had I spent a little more and waited a little longer, I would see a nice sweeping tach, rather than a large empty circle in the dash showing a stupid clock"

If $4K is the difference between getting it or not, then of course it makes a difference, if not, then that is really just a question only you can answer and how much it will bother you if you get something else.

Just my $.02

If current national car buying trends continue then putting emotions aside, the “SUV” version of a Tesla model should outsell the sedan version. So maybe the extra four grand is indeed worth it, especially around resale time. At least that’s how I voted.

The Model 3 will carry 5 adults, I've done in many times.

The Model Y will have additional trunk room and/or passenger space.

If those are important to you, then $4k is not that much of a premium.

There is also a minor efficiency and performance hit. While that's expected for a larger car with mostly the same parts, if somehow it had the same performance I would consider the Y even though I don't prefer SUVs. It just looks much better proportionally compared to the 3 to me.