TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Is my 2013 60kwh really only worth $35,000 from Carmax, or should I put in effort to try for more?

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by supernova87a, May 13, 2017.

1. supernova87a

supernova87a Member

Hi all - I've been wanting to simplify and get a smaller car, and my Model S 60 is early enough (2013) that it doesn't get any of the cool updates or features. I took it to a BMW dealer and Carmax, and both gave me a $35,000 figure for it.

Do you all think that's about right for this car, or is that wholesale undervaluing it? I kind of don't want to go through the trouble of showing it to people, having to wash it every time, eating up my weekends, etc. But if it were worth maybe $2000 or more for the effort, it could be worth it.

Do you think the value is accurate from BMW and Carmax? Or should I put in the work to sell it privately?

VIN: xxx085xx (early!)
    60 kwh
    Pano roof
    Active air suspension
    LED eyebrows
    19" wheels

No navigation
    No premium sound
    No tech package
    No rear facing seats

Thanks!

2. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

What does Tesla offer? How about vroom.com?

3. supernova87a

supernova87a Member

4. supernova87a

supernova87a Member

Oh, thanks, I will try Vroom.com this afternoon. I don't have any offer from Tesla because I did not finance it through them, so no buyback possible...

5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Tesla should still offer trade in offers regardless of financing.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. BriansTesla

BriansTesla Old school meets new tech

I ended up getting $39,900 for mine; about $5000 more than Tesla was offering. I think it was worth it.

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

They're not similar cars if they have tech package and yours doesn't. Tech package was the only way to get navigation then. I don't understand how anyone would buy a Tesla back then without it.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  8. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

Does it have leather? Without tech pkg I think it's probably about right, and if no leather...then I'm sure it's right. I sold mine (9555) last year for just north of $40k, and mine had everything except rear facing seats. I did get a trade in quote via email from Tesla, it was $40k. I had just over 49k miles on mine, so very close to yours.

9. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Does it have supercharging enabled?

On a % of original sticker, $35k is probably fair (~50% residual). Just because of demand you could draw a premium from someone looking to get into a Tesla.

10. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I must be missing something here. I bought my car cash and Tesla gave me a trade-in quote.

• Informative x 1
  11. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Maybe the OP is not buying another Tesla? No reason for Tesla to buy their car in that case.

12. youlikeadajuice

I have the same build as the OP (mine has textile and supercharging) with 82K miles....Tesla offered me $22k

• Informative x 1
  13. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Pm if you want a cash sale tomorrow

• Funny x 2
  14. youlikeadajuice

Appreciate the offer, but there's no way I'm selling it for anywhere near that low. I had them give me a quote because I was considering trading it in for a Model 3 when the time comes and wanted to get a ballpark idea of what they would give me.

15. kwjayhawk

kwjayhawk Member

I would do 23!

Any guesses why the offer was so low? Just mileage? Makes me ponder Tesla's confidence of high mileage vehicles OR what kind of profit are the auto resellers making after auctions.

16. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Yes, I would guess because it doesn't have the tech package as well as unusually high mileage for a 4 year old car. Not having the tech package means no navigation. Kind of cripples the whole Tesla experience. Tesla initially made tech package an option to keep the published base price down, but I'd never heard of anyone buying the car that way before.

• Informative x 1
  17. kwjayhawk

kwjayhawk Member

I wonder if there is any way for tesla to retroactively install a tech package enough to do navigation only. $?

Honest question, how do you like that? Are you able to see superchargers on maps? Stall openings?

18. supernova87a

supernova87a Member

Ah yes, sorry to leave out that info. I am thinking of trading down to something like a BMW 3 series or Audi A4, so no offer from Tesla of course. While I've loved the Model S, I recently changed jobs that requires me to drive a lot less, I had a bit of a hassle with charging constantly, and also I feel like I should unload it before the value completely disappears with the Model 3.

As for the other questions about options, my car has leather seats, but no supercharging.

I bought my Model S as a showroom model with 7000 miles (and $ discount) on it, and I really got it on the cheap. This was my first major luxury car purchase ever, and I'd never thought I would ever buy such a big, heavy, expensive car, but I did really enjoy 3 years of driving it. I just think it's time to switch back to something more economical.

The major other reason to unload it is as you said above, I cannot get any of the autopilot, etc. cool options on it, so I feel that the car is a dead end, and I just get more frustrated owning 2 generations-old equipment while everyone gets so much more out of theirs too...

19. kwjayhawk

kwjayhawk Member

Thanks for the info. So with no supercharging do you know the cost to enable? I can't remember off the top of my head.

20. supernova87a

supernova87a Member

MyTesla page offers me to buy Supercharging for $2500.

• Informative x 1