Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my 2013 60kwh really only worth $35,000 from Carmax, or should I put in effort to try for more?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - I've been wanting to simplify and get a smaller car, and my Model S 60 is early enough (2013) that it doesn't get any of the cool updates or features. I took it to a BMW dealer and Carmax, and both gave me a $35,000 figure for it.

Do you all think that's about right for this car, or is that wholesale undervaluing it? I kind of don't want to go through the trouble of showing it to people, having to wash it every time, eating up my weekends, etc. But if it were worth maybe $2000 or more for the effort, it could be worth it.

Do you think the value is accurate from BMW and Carmax? Or should I put in the work to sell it privately?

VIN: xxx085xx (early!)
60 kwh
Pano roof
Active air suspension
LED eyebrows
19" wheels

No navigation
No premium sound
No tech package
No rear facing seats

Thanks!

Tesla should still offer trade in offers regardless of financing.
Hi all - I've been wanting to simplify and get a smaller car, and my Model S 60 is early enough (2013) that it doesn't get any of the cool updates or features. I took it to a BMW dealer and Carmax, and both gave me a $35,000 figure for it.

Do you all think that's about right for this car, or is that wholesale undervaluing it? I kind of don't want to go through the trouble of showing it to people, having to wash it every time, eating up my weekends, etc. But if it were worth maybe $2000 or more for the effort, it could be worth it.

Do you think the value is accurate from BMW and Carmax? Or should I put in the work to sell it privately?

VIN: xxx085xx (early!)
60 kwh
Pano roof
Active air suspension
LED eyebrows
19" wheels

No navigation
No premium sound
No tech package
No rear facing seats

Thanks!

I ended up getting $39,900 for mine; about $5000 more than Tesla was offering. I think it was worth it.

Does it have leather? Without tech pkg I think it's probably about right, and if no leather...then I'm sure it's right. I sold mine (9555) last year for just north of $40k, and mine had everything except rear facing seats. I did get a trade in quote via email from Tesla, it was $40k. I had just over 49k miles on mine, so very close to yours.

Does it have supercharging enabled?

On a % of original sticker, $35k is probably fair (~50% residual). Just because of demand you could draw a premium from someone looking to get into a Tesla.

I would do 23!

Any guesses why the offer was so low? Just mileage? Makes me ponder Tesla's confidence of high mileage vehicles OR what kind of profit are the auto resellers making after auctions.
Yes, I would guess because it doesn't have the tech package as well as unusually high mileage for a 4 year old car. Not having the tech package means no navigation. Kind of cripples the whole Tesla experience. Tesla initially made tech package an option to keep the published base price down, but I'd never heard of anyone buying the car that way before.

• Informative
Reactions: bro1999
Yes, I would guess because it doesn't have the tech package as well as unusually high mileage for a 4 year old car. Not having the tech package means no navigation. Kind of cripples the whole Tesla experience. Tesla initially made tech package an option to keep the published base price down, but I'd never heard of anyone buying the car that way before.

I wonder if there is any way for tesla to retroactively install a tech package enough to do navigation only. $?

Honest question, how do you like that? Are you able to see superchargers on maps? Stall openings?

Maybe the OP is not buying another Tesla? No reason for Tesla to buy their car in that case.

Ah yes, sorry to leave out that info. I am thinking of trading down to something like a BMW 3 series or Audi A4, so no offer from Tesla of course. While I've loved the Model S, I recently changed jobs that requires me to drive a lot less, I had a bit of a hassle with charging constantly, and also I feel like I should unload it before the value completely disappears with the Model 3.

Does it have leather? Without tech pkg I think it's probably about right, and if no leather...then I'm sure it's right. I sold mine (9555) last year for just north of $40k, and mine had everything except rear facing seats. I did get a trade in quote via email from Tesla, it was $40k. I had just over 49k miles on mine, so very close to yours.

As for the other questions about options, my car has leather seats, but no supercharging.

I bought my Model S as a showroom model with 7000 miles (and $ discount) on it, and I really got it on the cheap. This was my first major luxury car purchase ever, and I'd never thought I would ever buy such a big, heavy, expensive car, but I did really enjoy 3 years of driving it. I just think it's time to switch back to something more economical.

The major other reason to unload it is as you said above, I cannot get any of the autopilot, etc. cool options on it, so I feel that the car is a dead end, and I just get more frustrated owning 2 generations-old equipment while everyone gets so much more out of theirs too...

Ah yes, sorry to leave out that info. I am thinking of trading down to something like a BMW 3 series or Audi A4, so no offer from Tesla of course. While I've loved the Model S, I recently changed jobs that requires me to drive a lot less, I had a bit of a hassle with charging constantly, and also I feel like I should unload it before the value completely disappears with the Model 3.

As for the other questions about options, my car has leather seats, but no supercharging.

I bought my Model S as a showroom model with 7000 miles (and $ discount) on it, and I really got it on the cheap. This was my first major luxury car purchase ever, and I'd never thought I would ever buy such a big, heavy, expensive car, but I did really enjoy 3 years of driving it. I just think it's time to switch back to something more economical.

The major other reason to unload it is as you said above, I cannot get any of the autopilot, etc. cool options on it, so I feel that the car is a dead end, and I just get more frustrated owning 2 generations-old equipment while everyone gets so much more out of theirs too...

Thanks for the info. So with no supercharging do you know the cost to enable? I can't remember off the top of my head.