Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my 2017 S90D Total'd?

Totalled?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stuck by 4 uninsured and unlicensed teens in a stolen car. Totalled?

Trovillion_Tesla.jpeg

My only comment is you state in the title of your post that the car is a 2017 S90D but the picture shows this is an AP1 vintage car (side marker light is AP1 version, does not contain camera; also no indication of camera in the B-pillar between the front doors). That means the car had to be manufactured prior to mid-Oct 2016.

Now it's possible the car was not purchased from Tesla until after Jan 1, 2017, but I expect the VIN would still reflect the car as most likely a 2016 VIN, not a 2017 VIN.

That distinction is potentially valid for the insurance carrier when they determine the salvage value to determine if they will repair or total, but as others have said, I would not expect this to automatically be a total if the damage is just side sheet metal, especially given the extremely inflated used car prices we all are seeing at the moment.

Last edited:
My only comment is you state in the title of your post that the car is a 2017 S90D but the picture shows this is an AP1 vintage car (side marker light is AP1 version, does not contain camera; also no indication of camera in the B-pillar between the front doors). That means the car had to be manufactured prior to mid-Oct 2016.

Now it's possible the car was not purchased from Tesla until after Jan 1, 2017, but I expect the VIN would still reflect the car as most likely a 2016 VIN, not a 2017 VIN.

That distinction is potentially valid for the insurance carrier when they determine the salvage value to determine if they will repair or total, but as other's have said, I would not expect this to automatically be a total if the damage is just side sheet metal, especially given the extremely inflated used car prices we all are seeing at the moment.

That distinction is potentially valid for the insurance carrier when they determine the salvage value to determine if they will repair or total, but as other's have said, I would not expect this to automatically be a total if the damage is just side sheet metal, especially given the extremely inflated used car prices we all are seeing at the moment.
You are some sort of savant. I mistyped. It is 2016. Well done

Reactions: MitchMitch
Front fender, doors, rear quarter panel, rear bumper. these need to replaced and repainted.

Expensive, but not amounting to a total situation, I would think?

Your car will be worth at least $40K I would think. What’s the cost of repairs?

You are some sort of savant. I mistyped. It is 2016. Well done
I probably wouldn't have noticed except there is damage in the area of the front side marker light which caused me to look closely at the detail, and I believe ours are very similar builds.

Mine's a June-2016 built, MS90D, midnight silver metallic, 19" slipstream wheels, pano roof, light gray interior. So as close as I can tell of exterior/interior colors in your photo, and if you have matte obeche interior trim by any change , we might have almost identical cars??

The owner of the stolen car?
That’s fu**** up, they are also a victim, why should they be held liable.
The parent of the teens will need to be held liable

You'd sue their insurance because why would the OP rely on horrible parents, if they even exist, to pay up. Sue them all but it's easier to get insurance to pay and then sue the others to recover.

The car most likely will not be totaled. As someone said, your insurance will go after the parents of the teens as well as the actual owner of the car. If the car was reported stolen, that would get the owner off the hook.

Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

well insurance offered me $5800 to fix it which includes replacing the front QP and both doors, but repairing the rear QP and rear bumper, and smoothing the front wheel. Somehow, I doubt this will be enough. BTW, my "lane keeping" feature, which worked reasonably well on highways, is now a "lane straddling" feature. LoL