Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my annual service a waste?

Service

• You're an idiot & should've taken it in 12,000 miles ago.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Do it now at a year.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • Just wait another year for the big service and save your $ for future ludicrous version

Votes: 36 51.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my S90D for 10 months and have 24k miles . I had been planning on taking it in at 1 year anniversary for the first service, but it seems like it might be a waste of money. Here's my thoughts: The brakes are great when I rarely use them. The tires still have good tread. The wipers work like new (ok). The hvac is doing well. I guess I could replace the cabin air filter myself for almost nothing. The battery coolant doesn't get changed for another 25k miles . I live near Cincinnati - not much snow /salt thus far. The steering tracks fine and tread wear is even. Not sure rotation is really needed.

Do they automatically replace the 12v battery?

I might just wait another year or so - when I'll need new tires and battery coolant change - or do it if an issue occurs. Am I being irresponsible?

In previous cars, I kept up with oil and transmission maintenance, but this seems less important.

My "service center" is 110 miles away, and the factory is 105.. At my car's one year anniversary, I called to see if I needed to bring my car in for service, change the battery, etc. The person asked if I was getting any notifications on the dash for service. I said no. They said to wait.

16 months and counting. 36,000 miles. No problems. Why go in for "service"??

Reactions: Max* and docherf
16 months and counting. 36,000 miles. No problems. Why go in for "service"??

Well, one reason would be if you want to purchase the extended warranty. I'm sure with the amount of miles you are putting on your car, that wouldn't make sense for you, but for someone driving fewer miles it may. Unless I am mistaken, to qualify to be able to purchase the extended warranty (or to have it go into effect if you purchased it early) you will have had to have kept up with the one year / 12,5000 mile service schedule.

Well, one reason would be if you want to purchase the extended warranty. I'm sure with the amount of miles you are putting on your car, that wouldn't make sense for you, but for someone driving fewer miles it may. Unless I am mistaken, to qualify to be able to purchase the extended warranty (or to have it go into effect if you purchased it early) you will have had to have kept up with the one year / 12,5000 mile service schedule.
i don't believe this is true anymore.

• Helpful
Reactions: docherf
I've had my S90D for 10 months and have 24k miles . I had been planning on taking it in at 1 year anniversary for the first service, but it seems like it might be a waste of money. Here's my thoughts: The brakes are great when I rarely use them. The tires still have good tread. The wipers work like new (ok). The hvac is doing well. I guess I could replace the cabin air filter myself for almost nothing. The battery coolant doesn't get changed for another 25k miles . I live near Cincinnati - not much snow /salt thus far. The steering tracks fine and tread wear is even. Not sure rotation is really needed.

Do they automatically replace the 12v battery?

I might just wait another year or so - when I'll need new tires and battery coolant change - or do it if an issue occurs. Am I being irresponsible?

In previous cars, I kept up with oil and transmission maintenance, but this seems less important.

I've had similar mileage in a similar timeframe. I did do the service and I'm glad I did, Tesla did a whole bunch of things that they found or had service bulletins for, that would have otherwise been lingering. Didn't cost me anything extra (other than the actual $400 service). I figure I spent $100k on the car, I'd rather have it perfectly maintained.

Might want to change out FOB battery as a precaution.

If anyone really believes in EVs, they shouldn't take it in for service as a matter of principle and pride.:)

70D - 32k miles, 20 months. Saw that pesky store one time for loose armrest. Don't plan on going back anytime soon (ie not at 24 months). Do need some wiper blades (original).

Leaf - 3/2013 so coming up on 4 years. 40k miles. 2 free battery checks - done and I wasted only time. One charger issue - done under warranty. I do need to take it in for some recalls. There is the absolute horror of original brake fluid. I have to admit, I am considering brake fluid change at the 4 year mark. And I have swapped out the cabin air filter.

The time and money sink that is automotive service is so ingrained in our heads that some people can't get it out of them. Even though someone at the top says service isn't a profit center, you have to have the people and the buildings for unpaid warranty work. Service keeps the lights on and pays salaries. Heck - the car isn't even a profit center.

• Funny
@docherf,

If you are going to rack up miles and not buy the extended warranty, I would wait for the big service.

In the meantime, don't forget to rotate your tires, change batteries in your key fobs, and change your cabin air filter.

GSP

• Informative
For the first 3 years, everything on the Annual services are visual checks other than the FOB battery, wiper blades and cabin filter. I can do these.
It does say to evacuate and recharge the AC and replace the brake fluid at 2 years which seems excessive. Has anyone had this done?
Even the 4th year just adds coolant replacement, which can't be that hard.

All service bulletins are done when I bring it in for warranty stuff, which is pretty rare lately.

• Informative
FYI, I learned something I didn't know when I took my Model X in for first year service (was only 7 months old, but had 18,000 miles): there is transmission fluid in the vehicle I believe for both engines if you have a D where they mesh with the one gear. This is changed at the service, and seems like a good idea. Also a convenient time to have them address any little things that are not working perfectly while it's under warranty.

The wording on the extended service contract actually changed so it no longer requires this but if you bought it prior to the wording changing then you might still be held to the earlier more stringent requirement.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and docherf
I had my car in last summer for a door handle replacement and, to my surprise, they did a pretty thorough check of the car that seemed to cover most of the points on a routine service visit. They investigated a dash alert I had received some weeks earlier (said it was a glitch fixed by a later firmware update). They even gave me a new fob because the service center (SLC) didn't have a replacement case for the old style one. I figured that covers a service visit for my car.

The idea of bringing it in every 12,000 miles makes no sense to me. Why? Haven't really seen any compelling reasons upthread. Since the nearest Service Centers are 338 miles and 375 miles away, it takes an overnight trip for a SC visit, something I'm not inclined to do unless really needed. YMMV.