TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is my car bricked?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Shadious, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Shadious

Shadious Member

2014 P85DL with 85,500 miles. Charged it to 100% (233 miles) yesterday to take to the drag strip. We got there at 85% SOC. Did one run and then shut it off while we waited for the second runs. When we got in the car, the messages read “low voltage” “car needs service” “car won’t start.” Then the main screen and IC went black. I tried hard reboot about 1000 times with no luck. Tried to jump start 12volt on both a battery pack and from the tow truck- no luck. Without the screens, there is no way to put vehicle in tow mode. Somehow just before we had to drag it up the flatbed on skates, the screens started working again. We engaged tow mode and towed it to service. The app is not seeing the car, Tesla cannot communicate with the car and it will not drive.
    My suspicion is either battery or MCU. Anyone had a similar experience? Just bought the car, is this going to be painful (out of warranty)?

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Active Member

Beautiful P85DL. Sorry it died, especially at the track.

Gotta ask... What was your time? :D

3. Shadious

Shadious Member

Thanks- 11.7 all the time.... here’s my loaner (upgrade!)

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  4. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

I think pack bricking is unlikely to virtually impossible on an active vehicle. Sounds like your 12V cell is pooched. The cars do all kinds of weird and wonderful things when they go bad.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Shadious

Shadious Member

I would love it if that was the issue. However I had no warnings on the 12 volt and everything worked prior to charging it (auto open/close lift gate, windows, lights, etc)... we charged it for about 45 minutes total and still nothing- tried to turn it in a number of times while still being charged directly from the tow truck. Diagnosis will be Monday or Tuesday, so we will see. The service rep thinks it’s the high voltage battery. Fingers crossed, as I’d love a new /rebuilt battery pack while still in warranty!

6. VikH

VikH Supporting Member

Has your 12V ever been changed?

7. Shadious

Shadious Member

I believe the 12v was replaced by the previous owner, not sure when, though...

8. jb007gd

jb007gd Member

I hope it's not painful. Please keep us posted. Good luck!

9. J.J.

J.J. Member

Possibly.... rather probably a dumb question but, does everyone just replace the 12V every 5 years as a preventative maintenance item?

10. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

11.7 on the 1500 amp battery indicates you're battery is already having issues whether that's the reason or not it bricked. Typical is 11.3 with the best P85DL reported times of 11.2. P100D pre-raven in the 10.9 and raven in the 10.5 range.

• Like x 1
  11. Shadious

Shadious Member

I was wondering about the power as well. It seems like the car should be much faster in the 1/4 mile, as there are Model 3 P running 11.6. Hopefully these two things are related and the battery will be replaced or at least rebuilt. Do you know if the battery replacements are all 90 kw now, or still the 85 kw?

12. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Active Member

Yes, the battery warranty on an 85 is eight years, UNLIMITED miles.

This very much sounds like a bad HV battery pack.

Curious and rare event; please keep us posted.

13. Ole Capt

Ole Capt Member

Great question. I’ve wondered this myself. Anyone know?

14. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Drag strip runs are hard on any car.

15. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

From what I've seen ludicrous upgraded 85s always get a 1600 amp 90 at this point.

• Like x 1
  16. Shadious

Shadious Member

The previous owner (only owner) Never took it to the drag strip. Those was only the 5th run down the quarter mile since I got it. The car was upgraded to Ludicrous mode, so I am sure they figured people would do some hard launches . I will keep you posted as to the outcome.

17. Shadious

Shadious Member

Just got a call from Tesla service. The diagnosis is bad battery heater unit causing issues when car is in Ludicrous plus mode and launch mode. They will be done with the repair early next week, update to follow. I have my high speed run (1/4 and 1/2 mile top speed runs) scheduled for Saturday, 10/19/19, so it will be interesting to see if the 1/4 mile times improve.

• Like x 1
  18. Zextraterrestrial

probably less than 3 years :rolleyes:

• Like x 1
  19. FRE0

FRE0 Member

San Diego, California, United States of America
    12 volt battery life only 3 years or 5 years? I don't understand

The battery on my previous car, a 2004 Mazda 3, lasted 7 years. One would expect the 12 volt battery on a Tesla to last longer.

20. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I wouldn't... Model S and newer Tesla are chock full of electronics and sentry mode basically has the car "running" its systems... So, I would expect the 12V to get slammed...

• Like x 1