Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my car locked or not??!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the middle of a business trip and my car is parked at the airport. It is plugged into an EV charging station and has been this way since Sunday morning. Just a minute ago I checked TeslaFi and it showed the car parked and the End time for the most recent Idle was far older than it should be. It's typically about a minute behind the current time. I started noticing that other things were missing: Current charge level, Rated Range, Estimated Range, Outside Temp were all None. Also there was no odometer value. There was the current max charge and inside temperature and it shows the doors unlocked. I also checked the Remote S and Tesla apps and they all show the same thing. The Remote S app does seem to be communicating with the car. I was able to set a new max charge and it did update on TeslaFi. What has me worried is the unlocked car indication. I've tried clicking the Lock option in both TeslaFi and Remote S and they seem to work but the status always remains Unlocked. TeslaFi even told me that the Lock command was sent and successfully received by the car. However, the car still shows unlocked.

Is my car really unlocked or is this something to do with the other values not being shown correctly?

18E1D5CA-16E1-4DE5-A966-932C6E1E47D7.png

So it's been fully charged since Monday morning at the latest. Have you moved it so someone else can charge?
No one else has a key fob so no.

How about the regular Tesla app?
Regular Tesla app shows as unlocked as well.

Did you look at Remote S raw data to check the locked state?
The raw data from Remote S shows:
locked = "<null>";

I'm hoping the null value for the locked is the reason why everything is showing as unlocked. Looking through the raw data, a bunch of values are coming back as either <null> or <invalid>.

Wow... sounds like you're an outstanding member of society. If you fuel up a car at a gas station, do you leave it parked there too?
This is an AIRPORT parking garage. This means that people parking there will not be returning to unplug their cars until after they return from their trip. If they did not intend for users to leave their cars parked there for extended periods then they should not have put them in the parking garage. Also, this is a daily parking garage which I'm paying a lot of money per day to park in. Therefore, I'm paying to park and charge my car.

People at my office do this. They park their EVs at 8-9am and sure enough at 5pm they’re still plugged in, fully charged. I’ve spoken to business management and that did nothing. I refuse to be passive aggressive and leave notes. I ran into one of the guys that parks there (Tesla driver) and he said his car doesn’t fully charge by the time he leaves so he won’t move it.
I know for a fact that the e golf and insight are fully charged because the green light goes solid

Can you click the lock button on the Tesla App and see if that makes it go to Locked?
Tried that. As well as through the TeslaFi website. Both seem to indicate that the lock took place. But after you fresh its back to unlocked. I haven't had a chance to call Tesla about it yet but I'm beginning to think that the lock status is just not being reported correctly just like a bunch of other things. All the apps and website are reporting unlocked simply because the Lock value from the API does not say True. It says <null>.

People at my office do this. They park their EVs at 8-9am and sure enough at 5pm they’re still plugged in, fully charged. I’ve spoken to business management and that did nothing. I refuse to be passive aggressive and leave notes. I ran into one of the guys that parks there (Tesla driver) and he said his car doesn’t fully charge by the time he leaves so he won’t move it.
I know for a fact that the e golf and insight are fully charged because the green light goes solid

At my office you're charged 50 cents an hour to charge, so basically nothing, but after 3 hours the cost goes up to $5 per hour. Definitely incentive not to monopolize the charger all day.

Reactions: ucmndd
This is an AIRPORT parking garage. This means that people parking there will not be returning to unplug their cars until after they return from their trip. If they did not intend for users to leave their cars parked there for extended periods then they should not have put them in the parking garage. Also, this is a daily parking garage which I'm paying a lot of money per day to park in. Therefore, I'm paying to park and charge my car.

Not to derail this thread further, but then again hey, why not. ;)

Based on your location I'll assume you're talking about the daily lot at SMF, which in my opinion has one of the stupidest EV charging arrangements for an airport imaginable. 8 or so L2 chargers, two on each floor. Perpetually gridlocked, almost always completely full with not a single car charging. It's nearly worthless. The airport is the one place in the world where we need massive amounts of dirt cheap L1 plugs.

I fly from SMF frequently and drive in from three hours away. If I could reasonably count on scoring a charger at the airport, my trip is simple - drive straight to the airport and plug in with ~20% charge remaining, returning to a full car when I get back so I can drive straight home. Unfortunately, I can't count on getting a charging spot, because they're almost always full (again, with cars not charging, just blocking the spots). Thus, I need to stop on the way there and supercharge at Manteca to make sure I've got enough juice to get BACK to Manteca on the way home after the car sits for a few days.

Out of curiosity, how much charge did you use over the 25 miles from Orangevale to the airport? 10%? Did you NEED to plug in? Because blocking a charging spot you don't need for days on end to top off the battery is dick move no matter how you slice it, and is a real pain for people like me who could really use the juice. It's not all your fault, the setup at the airport practically incentivizes bad behavior, but still.

BTW, your car's unlocked because you left a key inside. I moved it down a few spots down so I could charge. Hope you don't mind.

Talked to Tesla and they show the car as unlocked. They also see all the other missing data. After trying several lock attempts (which all showed were successful) it is still showing unlocked. They are guessing that all the missing data is caused by the center console being hung/froze and several apps not running to provide the data. In the end, they think the car is actually locked but that it is not being reported as locked due to the center screen being hung/froze. They want to run some diags and pull the logs after I get back and get the center screen rebooted.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG
Not to derail this thread further, but then again hey, why not. ;)

Based on your location I'll assume you're talking about the daily lot at SMF, which in my opinion has one of the stupidest EV charging arrangements for an airport imaginable. 8 or so L2 chargers, two on each floor. Perpetually gridlocked, almost always completely full with not a single car charging. It's nearly worthless. The airport is the one place in the world where we need massive amounts of dirt cheap L1 plugs.

I fly from SMF frequently and drive in from three hours away. If I could reasonably count on scoring a charger at the airport, my trip is simple - drive straight to the airport and plug in with ~20% charge remaining, returning to a full car when I get back so I can drive straight home. Unfortunately, I can't count on getting a charging spot, because they're almost always full (again, with cars not charging, just blocking the spots). Thus, I need to stop on the way there and supercharge at Manteca to make sure I've got enough juice to get BACK to Manteca on the way home after the car sits for a few days.

Out of curiosity, how much charge did you use over the 25 miles from Orangevale to the airport? 10%? Did you NEED to plug in? Because blocking a charging spot you don't need for days on end to top off the battery is dick move no matter how you slice it, and is a real pain for people like me who could really use the juice. It's not all your fault, the setup at the airport practically incentivizes bad behavior, but still.

BTW, your car's unlocked because you left a key inside. I moved it down a few spots down so I could charge. Hope you don't mind.
Yes, it is SMF.

I agree with everything you have said and most times I do not even park in those spots when I go to the airport for the exact reasons you outlined. However, this time I had 2 back-to-back business trips. The first trip I did not park in the EV spaces. When I got back I had about 45% battery left. I drove home for about 3 hours (just enough time to unpack and re-pack) and went back to the airport to leave on my next trip. I had forgot to plug my car in while I was home so I got back to the airport with about 23% battery. I remembered seeing an open EV space earlier so I was crossing my fingers that it would still be open. It was. I loose 2% per day in vampire drain and my current trip is 8 days. Not plugging in would mean I would have about 7% left which is not enough to get home.

I'm not one to take an EV spot if I don't need it. But I will if I do. I'm entitled to use them just as much as the next person. Doesn't matter how far each of us drive to get to the airport or how much battery remaining we might have when we get there. You are still leaving your car there occupying a spot for an extended time not charging. So after your car is fully charged while your gone, your car is no different than mine.

Reactions: JohnnyG
You car is probably at the impound lot because some self important jerk parked your car in a charging spot for multiple days and it got towed. Good thing the door is unlocked or the wrecker driver would have broken the glass to get in. The driver probably left a fob inside the car, so the wrecker driver could back it out of the spot to tow it away.

Several problems solved!