Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my car new?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I just ordered my model 3 LR AWD. I ordered on Monday and received my VIN on Tuesday. My VIN is showing as a 2018 so my question is.... How? Is it possible that there is stock sitting around for 3 months?

What should I look for when I go to pick it up on Sunday? I asked if it was a return but my Delivery POC claims no.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Bill

Hey everyone. I just ordered my model 3 LR AWD. I ordered on Monday and received my VIN on Tuesday. My VIN is showing as a 2018 so my question is.... How? Is it possible that there is stock sitting around for 3 months?

What should I look for when I go to pick it up on Sunday? I asked if it was a return but my Delivery POC claims no.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Bill

Tesla makes 3s in batches of common configs and then matches them with an owner as needed. If potential resale value is of any concern to you, you should ask if you can get a 2019 VIN. Yes, Tesla doesn't do model years but everyone else still goes by it, which means a 2018 versus a 2019 model 3 will have a difference in resale price.

I'm getting a MR car next week that had 15 miles on it and it's VIN range 173xxx. Honestly even if the car is 4-5 months old I won't care since many normal cars take that long from manufacture to sale. I would think 2 week time frame would be unheard of for most brands if not even impossible due to the different supply chains.

Reactions: Packnaimal
OP, I would just let them know you want a 2019 VIN. There is no reason to be paying full price for a 2018 model when you could get a 2019 for the same price. There won’t be any difference in the cars, but the resale value will be better for a 2019.
The other difference may be that he ends having to wait a lot longer to get a 2019 in the config he wants. As long as there are cars out there in a specific config Tesla may be reluctant to divert production from overseas when it can fulfilled with existing vehicles. Although, I would certainly encourage the OP to pursue some sort of discount, even if only $1K or so.

My VIN is 185300 and i think it is under 50 miles, that's a requirement to be considered new in VA.
i just picked up 188xxx, also a dec 18 build, a couple weeks ago. it had around 25 or 26 miles on it when i got it. every bit of protective wrap is still on it, the screen, the sills, etc. even had the tag hanging out of the glove box. there were two black LR AWD there as well, same vin range, still new.

you should ask for a discount, it being an 18, i received almost $4k off the price of the car.

I was just looking around at financing options, and noticed that Bank of America will not treat a previous model car as new after March 1 of the following year. That means that as of this month, the 2018 would need used car financing at a higher rate from them. I don't know if that's common, or just BofA, but worth looking into.
I just approved by BOA for 3.44% and the loan is consider used car since it is a showroom 2018 Model with 2200 miles. This loan is consider used car with higher interest rate. I have my DS call them see they can change that. Even with this rate it still beat the Tesla loan or other banks. The process of approval loan online takes less than 10 minutes. I got a very good discount. But today the DS told me the actual mileage is 3500 miles. I told him I want some more discount since it is more mileage that what was on the original agreement.

I need advice please. New here...I was in the Highland Park store Sat. the 16th, while there decided I wanted the M3. Rep found one already and said they would discount it $3380. At the time I was told prices were going up the next Monday so probably best to decide. I went with the one discounted. Now find out I can't get 19" wheels - they said they have to sell it as it is configured. I wavered on AP and just called yesterday and asked if I could add before delivery and was told yes. Saw $3000 added to my bill. So now I am scheduled to get a white, LR AWD with Aero wheels, black interior and AP. With destination charges it comes to $49,860. Now I have cold feet and wonder if I should just let them know I don't want a 2018 if they won't put the 19" wheels on. Since I plan to keep it until the Model Y comes out and trade it in (or sell privately if that is more $) is it dumb to take the 2018? It was manufactured Nov. 2 and has 9 miles on it.

I need advice please. New here...I was in the Highland Park store Sat. the 16th, while there decided I wanted the M3. Rep found one already and said they would discount it $3380. At the time I was told prices were going up the next Monday so probably best to decide. I went with the one discounted. Now find out I can't get 19" wheels - they said they have to sell it as it is configured. I wavered on AP and just called yesterday and asked if I could add before delivery and was told yes. Saw $3000 added to my bill. So now I am scheduled to get a white, LR AWD with Aero wheels, black interior and AP. With destination charges it comes to $49,860. Now I have cold feet and wonder if I should just let them know I don't want a 2018 if they won't put the 19" wheels on. Since I plan to keep it until the Model Y comes out and trade it in (or sell privately if that is more $) is it dumb to take the 2018? It was manufactured Nov. 2 and has 9 miles on it.

Thats a good discount. I would just take it.

You can always ask nicely but chances are the discounted configuration will not change. If you are going to flip any car in a year to two (for Y) you will be disappointed at trade value esp with HW3 by then with whatever other improvements or upgrades. Looks like a good deal to me w discount and 7 miles

Just a thought, the 18 inch aero wheels will give you better range. I have a white, LR AWD, black interior and got EAP back then and with 19s. I preferred the silver look but my husband would have gone with the 18s for the range. Some people take the aeros off and prefer that look. 18s also will be less prone to getting a flat from what I understand. Prices (on car and AP) did go up so if you decide to go with another car with 19s think that will be a factor at this point. Which ever way you go I know you'll like driving it until you get your MY.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gen3