Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Car totaled? 2 Months old and crashed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe ill post the details of the accident but for now i just wanted to start a thread to put down a few things as the process continues...

My Tesla Model S hit a concrete center divider (only curb height) and ran through some obstructions. Damage was nearly 100% front end (windshield, bumper, fenders, right front wheel, etc.).

Vehicle:2016 (refresh) Model S 60kWh. (Total cost approx. $73,000)
Kelley Blue Book Value considering mileage: $69,000
Initial estimate from insurance: $20,000
Supplemental repair estimate from Tesla approved body shop: $47,000

Does anyone have any idea if this will be totaled or not? Front airbags did deploy, but no frame damage. I'd rather not discuss the details of the accident but everyone is okay.

Timeline:

Night of Accident: 19Nov2016
Towed to body shop: 21Nov2016
Initial estimate by Insurance: 29Nov2016 ($20,394)
Body Shop supplemental estimate: 13Dec2016 ($47,423)
Days to Repair: 50

Last edited:
I have a repair estimate with prices of many pieces if anyone is curious how much something costs. I can't say if these prices are discounted or not though.

Repair shop is in Oceanside, California

EDIT: If anyone has any experience with Insurance paying out for a totaled Tesla, I would be grateful if you shared the details so I'm prepared if that happens.

Last edited:
After waiting 2 months for a front bumper cover (still waiting) as the last of my run in with a deer repairs, I regretfully say I hope it is totaled or you may be 2-3 months without your Model S

I am not optimistic with the timeline of 50 days but this shop does work on Tesla's often. They know the delays.

On one hand if I can pay my deductible and get my car back then that is fantastic. The downside would be being without it for months only to end up with a car that will have a horrible resale value.

On the other hand if I order a new car I could either get an inventory vehicle or order something new depending on how much insurance pays out. The downside would be possibly having to pay thousands more just to get back into a Model S. I really hope insurance pays me a decent amount so I could just order a new/inventory Model S.

If you're going to keep the car through it's expected useful life, 8-10 years, then you don't really care about resale.
On the other hand, you know the repair bill is only going to go up once they start to take it apart and find other things.
Not an insurance expert but based on the info you provided I'll be surprised if insurance wants to proceed with the repair.
Sorry about the accident but glad everyone is safe. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: Buddy
I have a repair estimate with prices of many pieces if anyone is curious how much something costs. I can't say if these prices are discounted or not though.

Repair shop is in Oceanside, California

EDIT: If anyone has any experience with Insurance paying out for a totaled Tesla, I would be grateful if you shared the details so I'm prepared if that happens.

I know this shop, I went there the other day to get an estimate on some minor work. I also used to work for the company that develops the software that Tesla uses to estimate the damage on a vehicle.

I personally think it's totaled, the combination of days w/o a car + the supplement #1 coming back more than double the initial estimate is going to trigger some things in the system that will probably result in a totaled car.

I'll look for it at auction! (a joke)

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I know this shop, I went there the other day to get an estimate on some minor work. I also used to work for the company that develops the software that Tesla uses to estimate the damage on a vehicle.

I personally think it's totaled, the combination of days w/o a car + the supplement #1 coming back more than double the initial estimate is going to trigger some things in the system that will probably result in a totaled car.

I'll look for it at auction! (a joke)

Well that's just about as informative as it gets. Thanks!

Body shop emailed me saying they are now waiting for my insurance to go inspect the vehicle again. I am assuming they need to verify the new estimate is reliable.

You are just under 69% of the value of the car before they take rental costs and diminished value into account. (Assuming there are no additional supplemental claims.) So I suspect it will be totaled. (It depends as some insurance companies will total a car at ~50% while others will wait until ~75%.)

BTW: From what I have seen a supplemental claim is normally in addition to everything that had been authorized prior. So the supplemental claim was for $27,029.

• Informative
Reactions: Buddy
Sounds like totalled. Good everyone was OK. Good time to be buying if you can get them through the process. You'll get a new car quicker than people are seeing major repairs done - and not have the concerns of a rebuilt car. That said a friend has had his MS rebuilt (significant damage) twice and it's still a great car.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Update:

D
The car was not totaled and is being fixed.

Fortunately the repair shop in oceanside seems very professional and i trust their judgement. Although the damage came close to $50,000, there was no structura damage and nothing is really being repaired but it is being replaced instead.

Unfortunately... the repaired by date i was initially given whoch was 31Jan was not met. The next date was pushed to mid february and that date has passed. The next date (and hopefully final) is March 3rd.

The reason for all the delays was awaiting parts from the factory.

I am looking forward to getting my car back as good as new and i do not think i will end up with a lemon. For the most part im getting a new windshield, new bumper,hood, fenders, and a few other cosmetic panel type peices.

Cant wait to get my car back. The repair shop has had possession of it longer than i have!

Morale of the story: Don't get into an accident in a Tesla.

IMG_5538.JPG
IMG_5472.JPG
IMG_5467.JPG