Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my charging regimen OK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge at home utilizing my Tesla home charger any time I don’t have enough power for my next day’s anticipated needs. I also frequently reduce the amps to the low 30’s because it might prove less stressful to the battery over the long haul, and I hope to keep my MY for a long haul. Others will argue I am being silly…only time will tell.

I charge to 80% daily. Some folks charge to 90% daily. I find that 80% gives me max regen and I don’t usually go below 30% with my daily driving so this is optimal. Just stay at or below 90% for daily and you should be fine. Don’t worry yourself too much with this just don’t charge it to 100% unless your going on a trip.

You didn't provide your location. In the winter there is an advantage to using Scheduled Departure for charging and preconditioning. This is a more efficient way to charge in cold weather as the battery will be warm from charging and the Tesla vehicle won't need use much additional power to warm the battery as you drive. Also, you can use Scheduled Departure to precondition the Tesla vehicle automatically and the passenger cabin will be warm when you enter the vehicle (assuming you commute to a job.) If you plug in the Tesla vehicle each evening charging will take place in the early morning hours and preconditioning just before you leave in the A.M. will not use any of the battery charge since the Tesla will be plugged in (power drawn from the battery will be replenished while plugged in.)

I just want to check if my charging regimen is harming my battery or if anyone has suggestions. I have a 2022 MYLR and a Tesla home wall charger on a 50AMP circuit. I charge my car to 80% at 40amps whenever it goes below 50%. Some times if I am at 70% I will charge to 80% just to top it off. Am I OK doing this?
Yes, you’re “ok”. But there’s no reason to be doing what you’re doing, and in fact Tesla recommends the opposite. Just plug it in when you get home, and let it charge every day. This is one of the great benefits of EV ownership, so break yourself of the ICE mentality.

E6E15D99-CFF2-4B28-8EDE-BC62D0F6F1F2.jpeg

I charge my MYLR every day, but up to 70%, as I don’t really drive more than 20 to 30km daily. I have a home charger and the 110V charger, which is actually good enough for one car, except winter. My wife has a M3 RWD, which we charge 100% every day. I wish there was a case study for different charging habits. I’ve seen some people saying that the battery is less stressed around 50%…
At the end of the day, what everyone seem to agree is not charging 100%, except for the LFP batteries.
🤷‍♂️

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
I charge my MYLR every day, but up to 70%, as I don’t really drive more than 20 to 30km daily. I have a home charger and the 110V charger, which is actually good enough for one car, except winter. My wife has a M3 RWD, which we charge 100% every day. I wish there was a case study for different charging habits. I’ve seen some people saying that the battery is less stressed around 50%…
At the end of the day, what everyone seem to agree is not charging 100%, except for the LFP batteries.
🤷‍♂️
I charge to 80% but mainly to get max regen. My 21 LR I charged to 90% but many times it limited regen especially in colder weather.

I leave it plugged in whenever possible and practical.

At the end of the day. I really don't think it matters.
Our charging habits have hovered around 90 or 80 pct. There were several times charging to 100pct but that has always been right before we started driving. There were a few times we were below 10 pct on road trips and charged backed up and continued our route. This is on our 2018 Model X with over 79,000 miles. Then this happen out of nowhere.

1664903981326.png