Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my LR MY range/efficiency normal(~150 miles)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm a new 2021 Tesla MY owner. Love my Tesla so far and happy to join the club! I'm concerned about its efficiency and not sure if I need to get it checked out for service. Here are my specs:

LR MY with 20' wheels. Drove for about 250 miles and during this time, charged ~500 miles worth of range. So, I am getting about 50% of estimated range. It has been somewhat cold here in New York but I didn't notice any improvement when it was warm 2 days ago. Not carrying any cargo and drove alone or with one passenger. Did not exceed 65 mph speed and was easy on acceleration. My regeneration braking is engaged and I was proud that I almost did not use the brakes (loving this one-foot driving!). Cabin heat was either off or set on minimum. I even disabled the sentry mode when parked.

Is this normal or should I have Tesla check it out? I don't expect to get the full 300+ range (I have never been able to achieve that on any other car) but, should I be getting a better range/efficiency than ~150 on full charge?

Post a pic with miles, efficiency, and other data.

Hi all,

I'm a new 2021 Tesla MY owner. Love my Tesla so far and happy to join the club! I'm concerned about its efficiency and not sure if I need to get it checked out for service. Here are my specs:

LR MY with 20' wheels. Drove for about 250 miles and during this time, charged ~500 miles worth of range. So, I am getting about 50% of estimated range. It has been somewhat cold here in New York but I didn't notice any improvement when it was warm 2 days ago. Not carrying any cargo and drove alone or with one passenger. Did not exceed 65 mph speed and was easy on acceleration. My regeneration braking is engaged and I was proud that I almost did not use the brakes (loving this one-foot driving!). Cabin heat was either off or set on minimum. I even disabled the sentry mode when parked.

Is this normal or should I have Tesla check it out? I don't expect to get the full 300+ range (I have never been able to achieve that on any other car) but, should I be getting a better range/efficiency than ~150 on full charge?

You could try charging above 94%, even to 100%, then drive until the battery charge is less than 30%. This may help the Tesla's battery management system calibrate for the battery pack. You may have to repeat this several times. If the range issue persists you should check for a rubbing brake pad. After driving place your hand close the brake caliper. If the caliper/brake pad feels warm as you bring your hand close it could be stuck, rubbing against the brake rotor.

Change the display settings for the battery icon from miles to % of charge. Monitor your Wh/mile stats over time.

Reactions: dhrivnak
not sure if I need to get it checked out for service.
The answer is almost certainly not. New owners post a few new threads on this same topic every week, and much more during Winter.
Drove for about 250 miles and during this time
This was many short trips spread out over several days, wasn't it? (Do you see where I'm going with this?)

I have a 2 mile drive to work. In the Winter, that will usually use up 4 or 5 "rated miles" off the display. When the battery and cabin are cold starting out, the car uses some REALLY heavy energy use for the early part of the drive that may be using up the numbers off the display at 2:1 versus your real miles. This isn't as much of an issue on longer drives because once that gets warmed up some, the energy use for heating drops way off. But if you're doing separate drives over several days, trying to compare that "efficiency" versus the number on the display is going to look awful.

Reactions: dhrivnak
You could try charging above 94%, even to 100%, then drive until the battery charge is less than 30%. This may help the Tesla's battery management system calibrate for the battery pack. You may have to repeat this several times. If the range issue persists you should check for a rubbing brake pad. After driving place your hand close the brake caliper. If the caliper/brake pad feels warm as you bring your hand close it could be stuck, rubbing against the brake rotor.

Change the display settings for the battery icon from miles to % of charge. Monitor your Wh/mile stats over time.
Good points. Thanks. I hope that recalibration may solve the issue. When I took the delivery, it was fully charged and since then I charged from about 70% to 80%, then depleted the battery to 10% and supercharged to 95%. Will check for rubbing brakes and post some pics of energy data. Thanks!

It's most likely your range was reduced due to the cold. Can you tell us what your Wh/mile average was for the trip? Did you use the Energy graph during the trip to see if you were using more or less energy than would normally be required?

The answer is almost certainly not. New owners post a few new threads on this same topic every week, and much more during Winter.

This was many short trips spread out over several days, wasn't it? (Do you see where I'm going with this?)

I have a 2 mile drive to work. In the Winter, that will usually use up 4 or 5 "rated miles" off the display. When the battery and cabin are cold starting out, the car uses some REALLY heavy energy use for the early part of the drive that may be using up the numbers off the display at 2:1 versus your real miles. This isn't as much of an issue on longer drives because once that gets warmed up some, the energy use for heating drops way off. But if you're doing separate drives over several days, trying to compare that "efficiency" versus the number on the display is going to look awful.
Yes, mostly spread over about 10 short trips. I see where you are going with that and agree with you. On my gas engine cars, I have never gotten estimated ranges and don't expect more out of Tesla. But, aside from those short trips, I put about 30 miles consistently during one trip, in warm weather and without climate control, and still ended up with 1:2 ratio.
I guess once I install a dedicated charger at home, my range anxiety will get better. Thanks.

To help minimize the effect of short trips on your range use preconditioning to preheat the passenger cabin and warm the battery while your Tesla is plugged in. 10 to 20 minutes preconditioning, up to 30 to 40 minutes in colder weather should be adequate.

Here are my pics of energy data

Attachments

• 03DF9C89-DD3C-41A9-8C78-78E87644B3A1.jpeg
    03DF9C89-DD3C-41A9-8C78-78E87644B3A1.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 183
  • 22C6E754-B822-481B-9739-81254E35643F.jpeg
    22C6E754-B822-481B-9739-81254E35643F.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 129
  • C4814B11-7ACE-4091-9CDB-3E8E0A801391.jpeg
    C4814B11-7ACE-4091-9CDB-3E8E0A801391.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 117
  • DE2C0FE9-E419-4802-821A-0466AFF371CE.jpeg
    DE2C0FE9-E419-4802-821A-0466AFF371CE.jpeg
    487.2 KB · Views: 130
  • A9603A7E-D81B-41B9-8774-15ADEADFF4AE.jpeg
    A9603A7E-D81B-41B9-8774-15ADEADFF4AE.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 122
No. My trip tab has no data. I haven't used it yet. Thanks!
Definitely try it out on a long road trip. It's not as useful on a 30 mile trip but if you are driving a couple hundred miles, you can see how your car is performing compared to how it would predicted to perform.

For example, the first graph shows when the user's car is using more energy than would be predicted. The second graph below shows when they are doing better than predicted. If you use this graph while driving, you can know when you should drive slower or when you can speed up and arrive at your destination at a desired SoC.
1616440741949.png

1616440783129.png

As @jcanoe mentioned, your 30 mile average of 264 Wh/mile is pretty good. If you check your odometer cards, is your Wh/mile number similar for your lifetime miles?

Thanks all. So, no abnormal consumption when driving. I will monitor any battery draining when parked. Hopefully just calibration is off (I did notice very generous mile count during the two supercharging of what the car displayed it took (~380) versus what Tesla deducted from 1000 free miles (245)).

Definitely try it out on a long road trip. It's not as useful on a 30 mile trip but if you are driving a couple hundred miles, you can see how your car is performing compared to how it would predicted to perform.

For example, the first graph shows when the user's car is using more energy than would be predicted. The second graph below shows when they are doing better than predicted. If you use this graph while driving, you can know when you should drive slower or when you can speed up and arrive at your destination at a desired SoC.
View attachment 647053
View attachment 647054

As @jcanoe mentioned, your 30 mile average of 264 Wh/mile is pretty good. If you check your odometer cards, is your Wh/mile number similar for your lifetime miles?
That's very helpful thanks!

When it’s VERY COLD and I’m running a bunch of errands all back to back to back, I pre-condition the Y on shore power, then when I get to my first stop I leave the HVAC running. When I get back to the car the cabin is nice and warm even set at 68 degrees. When I finish all my errands I find I use much less energy than had I shut off the car and wasting all that cabin heat (aka range) only to have to recover it. This works in the summer too.