Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my max range normal? 177 miles at 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all.

I have a 2014 Model S 60, imported from the US and using in Lithuania.

I can display battery status either as a percentage, rated, or ideal.

I did a 100% charge today, and I'm getting a rated range of 285km / 177m. This is my 2nd time charging to full, and prior to charging to full, I ran the batter down to around 30km of range. So I guess it should be 'balanced'.

My rated wh/km is 188 (or about 302wh/m). This suggested that my battery has a capacity of 53.57kwh. I've read that usable capacity is actually only 58.5kwh, suggesting a loss of 4.93kwh, which is around 8.5% of my usable capacity.

My car has only done around 57,000km.

Is this level of loss normal for this age/millage?

Would the cold affect the rated range or battery capacity? If yes, should the rated range increase when the weather warms up?

My car is still under warranty but I have no way to actually claim on that warranty in Lithuania (need to take it back to the US). 285km is still enough for me, and if the degradation of my battery is considered 'normal' then I can live with it. I'm just worried this may be symptom of bigger problems.

That isn't normal, but I don't know if cold might be an issue. I don't think it would matter on projected rated range. My 2013 60 was still getting 198 miles rated at 100% when I sold it this past March, although at one point it was down to 182. I had changed my charging pattern in the months leading to the drop to only charge to about 70% daily. I charged to about 93% once, then went back to charging to 90% daily and over the next two weeks I gained back those"missing" miles. It sounds to me like your pack is not balanced. I had charged to 100% and then driven off those miles quickly several times when it was at 182 and it never triiggered balancing, only the regular day charge to 93% followed by 90% daily did the trick for me.

Batteries store less energy when cold, so that would explain lower 100% range at least partly. The car will also require more kWh energy to travel a given distance when cold. Are you looking at rated km/miles?

If you can garage the car at 25 Celsius for 24-48 hours to warm up the pack, then charge to 100% and look at rated miles/km you can get an idea how much the battery is unbalanced and/or degraded.

GSP

That isn't normal, but I don't know if cold might be an issue. I don't think it would matter on projected rated range. My 2013 60 was still getting 198 miles rated at 100% when I sold it this past March, although at one point it was down to 182. I had changed my charging pattern in the months leading to the drop to only charge to about 70% daily. I charged to about 93% once, then went back to charging to 90% daily and over the next two weeks I gained back those"missing" miles. It sounds to me like your pack is not balanced. I had charged to 100% and then driven off those miles quickly several times when it was at 182 and it never triiggered balancing, only the regular day charge to 93% followed by 90% daily did the trick for me.

Well since I got the car, the temperature hasn't risen much above freezing (0-2 degrees C) and it's set to get much much colder over the next week (and for the next 2-3 months probably).

Perhaps I'll try and balance it in the Spring or Summer when conditions are better.

Batteries store less energy when cold, so that would explain lower 100% range at least partly. The car will also require more kWh energy to travel a given distance when cold. Are you looking at rated km/miles?

If you can garage the car at 25 Celsius for 24-48 hours to warm up the pack, then charge to 100% and look at rated miles/km you can get an idea how much the battery is unbalanced and/or degraded.

GSP

My 'garage' is not really a garage. It's more like an underground car park underneath my apartment with no doors (just a roof). So the temperature is at most 1 degree higher than the 'outside' temperature.

I understand that my power consumption will increase in the cold due to climate control, higher air density, wet/icey roads, winter tires, etc. But I am not sure what impact the cold has on actual rated capacity. I'm looking at RATED km/miles, not 'ideal'.

I am aware that the cold can reduce the battery capacity but is this reflected in the 'rated' range? I am actually able to achieve my rated range driving at around 90km/h. In fact, if driving at 70-80km/h, my consumption drops to around 160wh/km, which pretty much hits 'ideal' range.

Regardless of battery condition, I fully expect to see my ACTUAL range increase to around 320km in the summer given it will be dry, warm, with summer tires IF I drive at the same speeds I am driving now. Or I will be able to achieve the same range at slightly higher speeds.

If some of my 'capacity' is being masked by the cold, it would make me feel a bit better, and it would also tell me that Tesla's BMS is actually pretty good that it takes cold weather into consideration.... but this is not clear.

@randvegeta,

Batteries cannot store as much energy when cold, and this will be reflected in the rated miles display. Battery capacity and rated miles should go up when the battery gets warmer. As @TexasEV points out this is probably not the only thing reducing your RM at 100%. You can wait for warm weather or find a heated garage to test your 100% RM at 25 C to see how close you get to the spec of 208 rated miles.

It may also help to do more battery balancing. I am not sure the best way to balance, but I would charge to 100% 2-3 times and leave it plugged in for a few hours afterward each time.

Good Luck,

GSP

@randvegeta,

Batteries cannot store as much energy when cold, and this will be reflected in the rated miles display. Battery capacity and rated miles should go up when the battery gets warmer. As @TexasEV points out this is probably not the only thing reducing your RM at 100%. You can wait for warm weather or find a heated garage to test your 100% RM at 25 C to see how close you get to the spec of 208 rated miles.

It may also help to do more battery balancing. I am not sure the best way to balance, but I would charge to 100% 2-3 times and leave it plugged in for a few hours afterward each time.

Good Luck,

GSP

Great advice! Well since I'm getting 177 now, I'm 31 miles off, or about 15%. But based on the rated wh/km (or wh/m), assuming 58.5kwh of usable capacity, I'm only 8.5% off. Does rated wh/km increase during the winter? If yes, that might account for the remaining 6.5%.

I'll probably try and balance my batteries in the spring. Temperatures are going to drop to -20c in the next few days and I'm not sure if there is much point in doing it now given I'll just see less and less range. When temperatures consistently stay above 0, I'll give it another go.