Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model 3 Autopilot learning?

MikeyC

Aug 19, 2019
Florida
There's one stretch of road that I always have to travel to get to the civilized world from my house: a 5 mile stretch of 60 MPH country road that is 2 lanes, 2 way traffic. Been using Autopilot on that road with my hand on the wheel paying close attention. The first two times I went by one crossroad, Autopilot started to veer into the left turn lane to turn into that road. I immediately corrected by turning the wheel right to keep it in the traffic lane and by doing so, got the ding telling me Autopilot was canceled. After correcting it twice, now when I go by that same spot (the third and fourth time), it navigates that part of the road perfectly, ignoring that left turn lane and keeping in the main lane of traffic. Same conditions, about the same time of day. Light traffic (a stray car once in a while) all times.

My question is, did Autopilot "learn" that due to me having to correct it twice? Can it learn that fast? My car is only a week old and has not received any updates but I suppose it is possible that my car uploaded something to the existing AP "database"? Did the fleet learn from those instances? I have a suspicion the answer is no and there must be some other reason because there are a ton of Teslas around here and surely someone has driven that section of road on AP and had to do the same thing?

Just wondering.

Mike

cdmcleod

Mar 27, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
I have a similar problem on a stretch of NB Hwy 1 near Moss Landing, CA. I have passed that area at least 5 or 6 times with AP activated and the car always tries to steer into the left turn lane before I cancel by manually steering to cancel AP. So far the car has not "learned" not to do that.

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida
When you intervene while using AP, data is sent to Tesla for examination. It’s possible Tesla did something to resolve the issue, but it’s hard to know that for certain. The car doesn’t learn on its own.

ScoobyDoo82

Mar 22, 2021
Los Angeles
Are you sure? I thought the NN was improved by training, but it doesn't train itself (yet).
The NN is why your car was better on the 3rd and 4th instance that was mentioned. The Tesla itself didn’t have a “aha” moment but the learning process of the NN did. If a completely different Tesla drove the same road it too would have the corrected course because the previous Tesla provided 3-4 scenarios where it confirmed the improvement and then implemented it system wide.

Silicon Desert

Oct 1, 2018
Sparks Nevada / GF 1
The NN is why your car was better on the 3rd and 4th instance that was mentioned. The Tesla itself didn’t have a “aha” moment but the learning process of the NN did. If a completely different Tesla drove the same road it too would have the corrected course because the previous Tesla provided 3-4 scenarios where it confirmed the improvement and then implemented it system wide.
I wish my wife could do that. She keeps running over the same big pot hole in her car every day :oops:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC