Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model 3 on LSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just happened when I got on the Freeway. I have over 23,000 miles on my Model 3 Dual Motor. I use FSD all the time and I never had this happened before. What happened? Did my M3 get on something in the air or did it get some strange electricity when I charged it? It continued like this for about 15 miles until I took my exit. Everything worked like it was supposed to. This was rolling like I was riding on a ribbon. I am on version 24.6.9.
Rainbow in M3.jpg
It sure looks like it is on a trip.

From. Wikipedia:

Mario Kart: Rainbow Road and Don't Fear the Reaper/SNL: More Cowbell - method of activation[edit]
Products: Models S, 3, X, and Y. Autosteer capable vehicles only.

Activation: With autosteer engaged, push the right stalk behind the steering wheel down completely four times in rapid succession.[30][31][32] The same control stalk is used to switch from park to drive or reverse, and to activate autopilot.

The same activation can be achieved by tapping the image of a cowbell in the "Easter Egg Drawer" which appears automatically shortly after the "About Your Tesla" menu is accessed. The "About your Tesla" menu can be accessed by tapping the Tesla "T" at the top right of the touchscreen display.

Description: The on screen animation of your car's environment will change. The computer vision generated road that the car is driving on, denoted by two lines, will change into a rainbow which is similar to that of Rainbow Road, the final level in each version of the video game Mario Kart. At the same time, the song (Don't Fear) The Reaper[33] by Blue Öyster Cult plays in the cabin of the vehicle. Notably, the version of the song that plays is taken from the Saturday Night Live skit, More Cowbell,[34] in which music producer "The Bruce Dickinson", played by host Christopher Walken, encourages Gene Frenkle, played by then cast member Will Ferrell, to play his instrument, the cowbell, with zeal. As part of the easter egg, Christopher Walken can be heard stating his lines from the skit, that he "has a fever" and that the "only prescription, is more cowbell". While the music and lines from the skit will stop after a minute or two, the rainbow road will continue indefinitely until autosteer is disengaged.

If the car is not using autosteer, and the "Easter Egg Drawer" is used to activate the effect, tapping the cowbell will result in a message entitled "Rainbow Road". The message includes instructions on how to activate rainbow road, that Autosteer must be engaged, and a description of the effect. This information is followed by the exclamation, "I gotta have more cowbell!"

Has anyone else experienced this?

Actually yes, lots of people have experienced it, both on purpose, and (like you apparently) by accident. Its an "easter egg" that is in the tesla firmware. The contents and activation are already posted by @Carolina Karl .

People sometimes accidentally activate this trying to activate full self driving, by double pulling down on the stalk, then double pulling down on the stalk again because they thought they didnt turn it on the first time.

Umm... That's a new acronym to me with respect to Tesla vehicles... L.S.D.??? FSD is Full Self Driving so,
  • Legal Self Driving
  • Local Self Driving
  • Lame Self Driving
  • Laughable Self Driving
  • Limber Self Driving
Perhaps it's
  • Light Speed Driving
  • Laser-powered Self Driving
  • Light, Sound Driving
  • Loosely Steered Driving
  • Less Stopped Driving
  • Lazy Self Driving