Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model Y Performance normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.
Sorry, this is my first post so I'm not sure if this is the right section for this or not.
I would also like to preempt this by saying that I really like this car (it is my first Tesla) and I am not here to complain about it.
I am just trying to figure out if my 2022 Model Y Performance is normal or a lemon because Tesla keeps telling me that it's within spec.
I believe range is a ridiculous problem with my car.
If anyone has a solution or any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

First off, I have charged about 1,134 kwh including the charge that the car came with (80% to 20%). I calculated all of this through the Tesla app under Charge stats.
However, in the Trips section in the car on the screen, it states I have only used about 877 kwh.
So, 257 kwh have just disappeared that I have paid for since I mostly only supercharge.

Secondly, as of the writing of this post, I have driven 2,915 miles (Car is two months old in three days).
So according to Tesla, the car should be getting around 247 wh/mi. I calculated this by taking the 75 kwh battery and dividing it by the 303 mile range which leads to 247 wh/mi. I understand that this figure is unrealistic just as with any of my previous gas cars' mpg. The second time I took my car in, the Tesla tech stated that the car is officially rated at 265 wh/mi so we'll just use that number instead.
877 kwh/0.265 wh = 3,309 miles I should have driven according to trip information.
In reality, since I have charged 1,134 kwh/0.265 wh = 4,279 miles I should have driven.
So, 1,364 miles are missing. Yes, this number is again unrealistic but the point is that energy or miles, however you want to view it, are disappearing.
If my math is wrong, please correct me. I am, by no means, a math person.

Some examples:
Charge to 90%, drive to 13% but only drove 101 miles. This time was entirely on local, flat streets.
Charge to 90%, drive to 12% but only get 138 miles.
Charge to 90%, drive to 21% but only get 163 miles.
Charge to 90%, drive to 26% but only get 131 miles.
Yes, I know I shouldn't go below 20% but often times, battery just disappears. For instance, for the second example, I left the car at 31% in my garage. 36 hours later, get in and it's down to 21% when the garage was at 77 degrees, sentry mode is off, and I actually clicked power off car.

Third, the car often displays under Current Trip info in the Trips tab on the screen in the car, that I am consuming on average 350-515 wh/mi. However, I have seen this number go as high as 1,700 wh/mi, often times, the car will start around 700-1,000 wh/mi and setting around 350-515 wh/mi.
I drive, almost exclusively, in chill mode. I've only ever been in performance mode to show people the acceleration and for very short distances. I do not really accelerate and typically stay within speed limits. If my AC is on, it is fairly low and if my music is even on (which mot of the time it isn't), it is also low.
I am not towing anything or have anything heavy in my car.
Sentry mode is always on (except at home) and cabin overheat protection is also on. However, the temperatures where I live have been around 60-80 degrees for almost the entire time from start of ownership.
There has been one time where I literally watched the battery percentage tick down 87% to 86% to 85% in what feels like every second (I'm sure it was closer to every 5-10 seconds) until I stopped and restarted to car.
After the last time I took my car in, they said the battery was at 96.9% capacity. After they checked the health of the battery and proclaimed the car fine and had no alerts, there are rarely times when the car performs as what I assume is intended. I picked it up and drove it to my next location like how I always drive and I was getting 199 wh/mi and got 40 miles out of 10% (I figure roughly 30 miles for every 10%) of battery usage which seemed amazing. But again, this kind of mileage only happens maybe one out of every 20 drives.

Other issues with the car to maybe help with diagnosing:
-High whining sound that sounds like a muffled dental drill you hear inside the cabin (I think it comes from the passenger side, my wife thinks driver side)
-Screen gets ridiculously hot at times
-Screen also does not self-adjust brightness at times
-Screen will also randomly change settings occasionally (like if something were on, it's switched to off)
-Data connection to screen occasionally cuts out and states things like "Theater currently unavailable. Check your internet connection and try again", "Routing with no traffic data", etc etc.
-Car/screen flipped out once saying parking brake was on, flat tire sensor going off, seatbelt wasn't on, and all cameras not working when signaling to turn all at the same time with those issue lights popping in and out rapidly.
-Sentry mode deletes random clips
-For about 2 weeks, the car wasn't really starting when I opened the door. Would have to tap on blank/dark screen to get it to wake up
-For about 2 (different) weeks, car would not precondition when directing it to a supercharger and would only precondition when charging
-Occasionally, doing one click to bring window up or down will result in window stopping and reversing about 3/5s of the way down
-Passenger side rear window has developed a loud click when closing completely
-AC sounds like a kid loudly creating condensation/steam on a window occasionally
-There was a random bolt, nut, and washer in one of the side trunk pockets after I picked up the car (Tesla tech said it's probably nothing)
-Occasional thump from driver side front wheel well usually when turning right going up a ramp (unrelated to brake pedal engaging)

Service Appointments:
1st time: Told I was a new Tesla owner so just let the car get used to you, basically was told I was being too sensitive
2nd time: Tesla worker could not understand the math I posted or even the average wh/mi a Model Y should get. When I tried to point out the example, with pictures, showing 90% to 13% and only getting 101 miles, he just ended the service appointment claiming battery retention and capacity are fine so I don't have a problem.
3rd time: Coming up in three weeks.

So my questions:
1. Have any others noticed extra charging that's not accounted for in your trip information?
2. What is everyone's average wh/mi? I understand everyone drives differently but just trying to get a ballpark figure
3. How many miles are others with a Model Y Performance able to travel from 90% to 20% on a single charge?
4. Is my car normal or just a lemon
5. Anyone have any clue as to what's going on?

I would really like to get my car fixed. Please help, I really am at my wit's end.
Thank you for reading my really long post.

Reactions: Msicario
I believe range is a ridiculous problem with my car.

4. Is my car normal or just a lemon

Related to the range, its completely normal. I am not talking about the other stuff, but if you simply search this subform or any other TMC subforum with the word "Range" you will find 100s and 100s (and 100s and 100s) of posts which boil down to "I think I got a lemon because (insert driving range not meeting rated range)".

First off, I have charged about 1,134 kwh including the charge that the car came with (80% to 20%). I calculated all of this through the Tesla app under Charge stats.
However, in the Trips section in the car on the screen, it states I have only used about 877 kwh.
So, 257 kwh have just disappeared that I have paid for since I mostly only supercharge.
Sentry mode is always on (except at home) and cabin overheat protection is also on. However, the temperatures where I live have been around
Keeping the car "on" with sentry mode uses power. This might not explain all of the delta between what you've charged and driven, but it should be accounted for.

Last edited:
I would simply do a basic "range test". Drive normally (not like you stole it), hop on the highway where you won't need to slow/stop. and then reset one of your trip computers. Drive 10-20 miles. It should consume 5-10% of your battery. Make note of the WH/Mi and report back. I'm curious.

I've regularly driven a 120 mile trip (one way) and consistently consumed 49-51% of my battery. If I hit traffic I'll do better. If I'm going 70-80 the whole drive I'll do a little worse.

Granted mine is a MYLR w/20" Inductions, but the difference should be a few % points. Not 2X the consumption.

The car trip energy calculator counts watts used when driving. If you park your car and left Sentry mode On or use AC/computer when parked it shouldn't be calculated as a trip energy use. You also lose some energy when car is charging.
The average consumption in my MYP is normally vary from 250Wh/mi to 320Wh/mi, but occasionally may go up. It depends on outside temperature, how fast I drive, preheating the battery, etc.
I would check how hot brakes get after you see high energy consumption when driving with normal speed and not pre-heating the battery. Try to use regenerative breaking to stop. Just to make sure you don't have an issue with sticking brakes.

Last edited:
You'll likely never get 30 miles for every 10% of the battery. The EPA testing is done in ridiculously ideal conditions. not in the real world. And regarding the temps, if it's 60 - 80 degrees outside, the interior temperatures are easily over the 105 degrees which is where the Cabin Overheat Protection gets triggered. If that is constantly getting triggered, it will consume some of your energy, or at least for the 12 hours it operates after you exited the car.

Since I got my car in March of 2021, I'm at 275 wh/mi for my LR. You can do all the calculations you like, but you probably won't get much better than that in a MYP.

Make a TeslaFi account and let them track all of this to verify.
Thank you for the suggestion, I will.

I would simply do a basic "range test". Drive normally (not like you stole it), hop on the highway where you won't need to slow/stop. and then reset one of your trip computers. Drive 10-20 miles. It should consume 5-10% of your battery. Make note of the WH/Mi and report back. I'm curious.

I've regularly driven a 120 mile trip (one way) and consistently consumed 49-51% of my battery. If I hit traffic I'll do better. If I'm going 70-80 the whole drive I'll do a little worse.

Granted mine is a MYLR w/20" Inductions, but the difference should be a few % points. Not 2X the consumption.
Yep, I always drive normally. I'm sure if I had Tesla insurance, my rates would be near the bottom because I drive like a grandma.
I live in the High Desert and frequently drive down to Orange County area to see the in laws. It's exactly 75 miles and I also know that it will almost always take 35-40% of the battery, one way.
If I drive to work, 5 miles one way, I also know that it will take about 5% of my battery, one way.

Regarding the Wh/mi, there is no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes, it gives me perfect mileage (because I drive like a grandma) and will go nearly 40 miles on 10% battery at 199 Wh/mi. I will park for a minute, start driving again, and suddenly it shoots up to 800 Wh/mi. It mostly settles around 400 Wh/mi even when other rare times, it will give me 199 Wh/mi or even less sometimes.

The car trip energy calculator counts watts used when driving. If you park your car and left Sentry mode On or use AC/computer when parked it shouldn't be calculated as a trip energy use. You also lose some energy when car is charging.
The average consumption in my MYP is normally vary from 250Wh/mi to 320Wh/mi, but occasionally may go up. It depends on outside temperature, how fast I drive, preheating the battery, etc.
I would check how hot brakes get after you see high energy consumption when driving with normal speed and not pre-heating the battery. Try to use regenerative breaking to stop. Just to make sure you don't have an issue with sticking brakes.

Ah, that's good to know that it's only calculating driving usage.
How would I check how hot the brakes get?
I do use regenerative braking as often as I can. Not entirely certain what sticking brakes are.

Keeping the car "on" with sentry mode uses power. This might not explain all of the delta between what you've charged and driven, but it should be acc
"Keeping the car "on" with sentry mode uses power. " !! GOOD to know! Thank you!
I suppose I should do a search and see if there's a thread here about how to save battery power--other than slowing down which is no fun at all!

"Keeping the car "on" with sentry mode uses power. " !! GOOD to know! Thank you!
I suppose I should do a search and see if there's a thread here about how to save battery power--other than slowing down which is no fun at all!
Strongly suggest starting with the manual. Amazed how many buy a technology car and skip that simple step. Many notes on power usage including sentry mode, cabin climate overheat/cool, etc. your car seems normal to me. The fact that you claim you got 199 and 247 wh/ml makes me skeptical on a Performance Y. I have Never to date been lower then 300 even on the chill mode setting.

Reactions: DanDi58
So these are the photos I sent Tesla for my newest service.
If you add up miles driven with original total mileage from the first photo to the last photo, you can see that this is all a single charge.
These photos are over 4 days, all driven on local roads (no freeway).

1st photo: I forgot to take the photo at 90% charged, but the picture is at 89% with 169 Wh/mi.
2nd photo: Battery at 54%, 36% used but drove 47 miles, 888 Wh/mi.
3rd photo: Battery at 26%, drove 85 miles. 1,068 Wh/mi. This time, look at the temperature. It's at a perfect 75 degrees F going 31 in 40 mph zone. Car is also set to precondition before I leave for work and when I leave work.
4th photo: Battery at 16%, drove 96 miles, 814 Wh/mi
5th photo: Battery at 13%, drove 101 miles, 445 Wh/mi.

Other issue with these photo is the final picture at 13% battery left.
It claims I used a total of 30 kWh.
However, 90% - 13% = 77%.
MYP has a 75 kWh battery.
75 kWh x 77% = 57.75 kWh charged.

In the last photo, 30 kWh/297 Wh/mi = 101 miles. That is accurate.
But where is the rest of the 27.75 kWh that was charged?
It's not cold so another question I have then is, does the battery drain rapidly when it is hot just like in cold conditions?

Almost half the charge disappeared. Even if we account for Sentry mode and cabin overheat protection, does it really use up 27.75 kWh over 4 days?
At work, there are only ever two alerts everyday. My coworker pulling in and then leaving at the end of the day. Sentry mode is off at home and the car is parked at home in a garage that never gets hotter than 80 degrees F.

For cabin overheat protection, just now, my car is at 116 degrees F. I turned it off since everyone kept telling me to turn it off. I just turned it on and to get the car from 116 degrees F to 70 degrees F, the battery stayed at 55% the entire time so I don't think cabin overheat protection will drain so much it would equal 27.75 kWh over 4 days, could it? The car is now preconditioning since I'm about to leave and it just dropped down to 54%.

So yes, I understand range is a problem that many people ask about, but the numbers don't seem to add up. It's not cold so there shouldn't be much battery loss and my Wh/mi are through the roof often. The amount driven is a little more than half the amount charged, at least in this set of photos.

Am I still just being paranoid and is this still normal?

Attachments

• 89%.jpg
    89%.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 639
  • 54%.jpg
    54%.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 26%.jpg
    26%.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 16%.jpg
    16%.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 13%.jpg
    13%.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 232
Cabin overheat protection also uses lots and lots power. My interior gets to 130-140 on a 75 degree sunny day so you’re essentially leaving the cars air conditioning on while parked. Try turning sentry and cabin overheat protection off and let us know how it goes over the next week or two.

FYI my MYP is has averaged 300wh/mile over 3700 miles. Lots of highway driving at 80+

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Here are some stats as far as efficiency, OP.
I commute 120 miles per day. This is for a 2022 MYP in NY traffic, 5600 miles (5.5 weeks). No sentry mode.

5/16 51%/150 4:33 to 92%/273 5:06 $15.18
5/17 44%/130 7:52 to 86%/254 $15.71
5/18 43%/128 to 84%/251 $15.54

5/23 42%/123 5:30 to 83%/244 $15.08 5:55
5/24 42%/122 4:34 to 85%/249 $15.83 5:02

It's about 43% to go 120 miles per day/$15 at the Supercharger at $0.46/kWh.

(I have each day with costs and mileage, OP. If you want it, send me a message).

Last edited:
Strongly suggest starting with the manual. Amazed how many buy a technology car and skip that simple step. Many notes on power usage including sentry mode, cabin climate overheat/cool, etc. your car seems normal to me. The fact that you claim you got 199 and 247 wh/ml makes me skeptical on a Performance Y. I have Never to date been lower then 300 even on the chill mode setting.
Regarding 247 Wh/mi, I just said that's what it's 'supposed' to be with the range presented by the EPA.

I will attach photos as proof of 199 Wh/mi or slightly higher but significantly lower than what you say you get.

This was right after I picked up the car from my 2nd time at the service center.
Car starts at 42% and see that it is is draining 706 Wh/mi. Sorry, this is a screen shot from a video that I took right after getting the car back.
However, this was the first time that it ever drove with an amazing Wh/mi.
Second photo shows at 31% showing a consumption of 209 Wh/mi having driven 41 miles.

42% - 31% = 11%
11% of the 75 kWh battery = 8.25 kWh
8.25 kWh or 8,250 Wh / 209 Wh = 39.47 miles
If I got 41 miles out of 11%, that means its a bit lower than the average 209 Wh/mi.
I suppose I was going slow for rush hour traffic but not all of it was slow.

But even from these set of photos, since I charged up to 90% like I always do and it states I used 32 kWh, where is the other 12.25 kWh?
This time, the drain wasn't as bad but there's still a lot of extra drain going on.

I have no idea what is going on with this car.

Attachments

• 42%.png
    42%.png
    716.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 31%.png
    31%.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 235
Here are some stats as far as efficiency, OP.
I commute 120 miles per day. This is for a 2022 MYP in NY traffic, 5600 miles.

5/16 51%/150 4:33 to 92%/273 5:06 $15.18
5/17 44%/130 7:52 to 86%/254 $15.71
5/18 43%/128 to 84%/251 $15.54

5/23 42%/123 5:30 to 83%/244 $15.08 5:55
5/24 42%/122 4:34 to 85%/249 $15.83 5:02

It's about 43% to go 120 miles per day/$15 at the Supercharger at $0.46/kW.
Right, you and OCJeff said something similar but I only get 75 miles per 35-40% since that is the exact distance it takes to travel to my in laws.
So all I am getting from this is that my MYP really is not normal then.