Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model Y Performance normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's really strange. I drive fast. I mean I pass everyone and I rarely get passed by anyone on the road in my 2022 MYP. I drive 80-90 mph average on highways. I just did 100 mile one way and used 43%, and the weather was 100 degree and AC was full blown at level 7 the whole time with my two kids in heavy aluminum framed car seats and full trunk. I think I can get way way way more if I drive 60 mph with less people/weight.

I seriously think any Tesla cars are not for you. you will be happy with Toyota hybrids, so that you can get the range you want and feel better at the same time. It will be boring and slow and more, but you will be happy.

Again, buying the performance model and complain about the range is silly. =)
I’m glad your able to get those crazy insane numbers.. I too love to drive fast, but was not able to come close to that🤷🏻‍♂️
There has to be something wrong; I being perfectly honest; I currently have 4700 miles and are not able to enjoy it like you do. Did you replace the 21’ wheels? 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️I’m starting to think; Maybe the front and rear spoilers?
Maybe someone else can share their experience.

Attachments

• A114905B-75CB-478B-80A7-D11C21F2FE04.jpeg
    A114905B-75CB-478B-80A7-D11C21F2FE04.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: mangrove79
Speed may not always a reliable factor when gauging efficiency as you could have been driving from a higher elevation to a lower elevation, also have the benefit of a tail wind. The best objective measure is the average Wh/mi result for a round trip. You can reset Trip A from the Trips screen before starting your trip. Take a photo of the screen when you arrive, reset Trip A again for the return trip and then compare and average the Wh/mi results.

Reactions: Msicario
Speed may not always a reliable factor when gauging efficiency as you could have been driving from a higher elevation to a lower elevation, also have the benefit of a tail wind. The best objective measure is the average Wh/mi result for a round trip. You can reset Trip A from the Trips screen before starting your trip. Take a photo of the screen when you arrive, reset Trip A again for the return trip and then compare and average the Wh/mi results.
Oh how I wish I didn’t have to be so worried about having enough juice to make the next supercharger and enjoy my drive at whatever speed I happen to choose.
How many kWh does the AC eat up?

I’m glad your able to get those crazy insane numbers.. I too love to drive fast, but was not able to come close to that🤷🏻‍♂️
There has to be something wrong; I being perfectly honest; I currently have 4700 miles and are not able to enjoy it like you do. Did you replace the 21’ wheels? 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️I’m starting to think; Maybe the front and rear spoilers?
It is possible your aftermarket front and rear spoilers have negative affect especially at higher speeds. What is your average Wh/mi?
On my stock MYP I get average 260-320 Wh/mi. I drive the way I want, often over 80mph and enjoy fast acceleration.

Oh how I wish I didn’t have to be so worried about having enough juice to make the next supercharger and enjoy my drive at whatever speed I happen to choose.
How many kWh does the AC eat up?
It depends on the outside temperature and whether you are heating or cooling the passenger cabin, also heating the battery in sub zero temperatures in winter. Heating the Tesla Model Y uses more energy than cooling.

There are some detailed Youtube videos by Bjorn Nyland where he compares the efficiency of the Tesla Model 3, Model Y under different conditions.

Perhaps another forum member has some data.

I would definitely use TeslaFi as mentioned and find a local owner to drive with you who knows the interface well and can also show you what to look for.

I had a MY LR and even with the more efficient wheels, I could only get about 260 miles out of it running 70-75 on mostly flat roads and very little AC usage.

Keep in mind that charging is not 100% efficient as well. One of the reasons I got rid of my Y is the range was a major disappointment. Even though it was supposed to be fairly close to the M3, it never seemed to be near as efficient. Our M3 LR that replaced the Y goes about an easy 15-20% farther on similar circumstance when according to Tesla it should only go about 8% more.

I think my '22 Model S uses less energy per mile than my Y did as well.

It depends on the outside temperature and whether you are heating or cooling the passenger cabin, also heating the battery in sub zero temperatures in winter. Heating the Tesla Model Y uses more energy than cooling.

There are some detailed Youtube videos by Bjorn Nyland where he compares the efficiency of the Tesla Model 3, Model Y under different conditions.

Perhaps another forum member has some data.
Thanks; I do know that extreme cold weather is bad; My long trips are from SoCal to AZ extremely hot, but the AC definitely is cranked up 😂🤣
When I’m on my first Supercharger location, I do 100% charge and hit the road.

Thanks; I do know that extreme cold weather is bad; My long trips are from SoCal to AZ extremely hot, but the AC definitely is cranked up 😂🤣
In most cases you would save time by only charging to a maximum of 80% when using a Supercharger. Depending on the trip route you would need to make some additional charging stops but each charging stop would be much shorter. Your total time spent Supercharging would be significantly less.

In most cases you would save time by only charging to a maximum of 80% when using a Supercharger. Depending on the trip route you would need to make some additional charging stops but each charging stop would be much shorter. Your total time spent Supercharging would be significantly less.
I did notice that🤔 Charging from 85% to 100% was definitely longer time..

I did notice that🤔 Charging from 85% to 100% was definitely longer time..
If you have not done so try using A Better Route Planner (ABRP) when planning your next trip. You can access ABRP from your computer or download ABRP as an app on your phone. ABRP enables you to enter settings for your vehicle, battery state of charge, speed, weather and also specify fewer or more charging stops.

ABRP

ABRP can also pull real time data from your car and factor in real time road conditions (weather, wind), terrain, etc. into your planning. The options can be a bit overwhelming at first but it does give a lot of flexibility. Spend the money on the pro version to get all the features. It like like $5/month.

Reactions: Daekwan
Four road trips, totaling around 10k miles. I NEVER worried about making it to a supercharger, driving 75-80mph, AC/heat as necessary most of the time. Fort Worth to Parrish, FL, (twice) Fort Worth to Denver/Aspen, Fort Worth to Frederick, MD.

So these are the photos I sent Tesla for my newest service.
If you add up miles driven with original total mileage from the first photo to the last photo, you can see that this is all a single charge.
These photos are over 4 days, all driven on local roads (no freeway).

1st photo: I forgot to take the photo at 90% charged, but the picture is at 89% with 169 Wh/mi.
2nd photo: Battery at 54%, 36% used but drove 47 miles, 888 Wh/mi.
3rd photo: Battery at 26%, drove 85 miles. 1,068 Wh/mi. This time, look at the temperature. It's at a perfect 75 degrees F going 31 in 40 mph zone. Car is also set to precondition before I leave for work and when I leave work.
4th photo: Battery at 16%, drove 96 miles, 814 Wh/mi
5th photo: Battery at 13%, drove 101 miles, 445 Wh/mi.

Other issue with these photo is the final picture at 13% battery left.
It claims I used a total of 30 kWh.
However, 90% - 13% = 77%.
MYP has a 75 kWh battery.
75 kWh x 77% = 57.75 kWh charged.

In the last photo, 30 kWh/297 Wh/mi = 101 miles. That is accurate.
But where is the rest of the 27.75 kWh that was charged?
It's not cold so another question I have then is, does the battery drain rapidly when it is hot just like in cold conditions?

Almost half the charge disappeared. Even if we account for Sentry mode and cabin overheat protection, does it really use up 27.75 kWh over 4 days?
At work, there are only ever two alerts everyday. My coworker pulling in and then leaving at the end of the day. Sentry mode is off at home and the car is parked at home in a garage that never gets hotter than 80 degrees F.

For cabin overheat protection, just now, my car is at 116 degrees F. I turned it off since everyone kept telling me to turn it off. I just turned it on and to get the car from 116 degrees F to 70 degrees F, the battery stayed at 55% the entire time so I don't think cabin overheat protection will drain so much it would equal 27.75 kWh over 4 days, could it? The car is now preconditioning since I'm about to leave and it just dropped down to 54%.

So yes, I understand range is a problem that many people ask about, but the numbers don't seem to add up. It's not cold so there shouldn't be much battery loss and my Wh/mi are through the roof often. The amount driven is a little more than half the amount charged, at least in this set of photos.

Am I still just being paranoid and is this still normal?
These all look normal. You can't measure anything in 0-1 miles. I don't see anything wrong. Tesla will cancel your appt.

100% stock with no stick ons.

I would definitely use TeslaFi as mentioned and find a local owner to drive with you who knows the interface well and can also show you what to look for.

I had a MY LR and even with the more efficient wheels, I could only get about 260 miles out of it running 70-75 on mostly flat roads and very little AC usage.

Keep in mind that charging is not 100% efficient as well. One of the reasons I got rid of my Y is the range was a major disappointment. Even though it was supposed to be fairly close to the M3, it never seemed to be near as efficient. Our M3 LR that replaced the Y goes about an easy 15-20% farther on similar circumstance when according to Tesla it should only go about 8% more.

I think my '22 Model S uses less energy per mile than my Y did as well.
Law of physics. Aerodynamic, cross sectional area, which sedans are better at.

Wait, what? Are you using navigation for the trip? I have never charged to 100% while on the road. I think I charged to 95% once, and only because I got tied up in a restaurant longer than expected and just let it go. I just charge up to what the car says to do to get to the my destination (and occasionally add maybe 5% more) and hit the road. It seems like there are plenty of SC's on the routes from CA to AZ (according to supercharge.info).

Also, let's be real for a minute.. the only time range even matters is on long-distance trips, which means you are on the highway and everybody around you is doing 70-80mph. There is no secret sauce to range. At those speeds, the car is probably going to be 25-40% less efficient in that scenario than whatever it achieved on some EPA test. Here is a great guide for what you can expect your EV to achieve while cruising at 70mph:

All that said.. Tesla still provides more range than anybody else under the $100K mark. From what Im aware only Lucid and Mercedes have been able to beat them. So unless you are willing to spend $170K for a Lucid Air with 500 miles of real-world range, then you know what.. it is.. what it is.

Actually need to make a correction to my earlier post.

Appears the Ford Mustang Mach-E does actually provide more "real world" range than the Model Y. And at a cheaper MSRP.

That said it's no secret the extended range MME has a 100kWh battery.. while the long-range & performance variants of the Model Y have a 77-82kWh battery pack. That said.. in an effort to be factual with the points I present. Still must point out that you can drive the cheaper MME.. further than you can drive the more expensive MYLR or MYP. Just don't pay attention to efficiency.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Actually need to make a correction to my earlier post.

Appears the Ford Mustang Mach-E does actually provide more "real world" range than the Model Y. And at a cheaper MSRP.

That said it's no secret the extended range MME has a 100kWh battery.. while the long-range & performance variants of the Model Y have a 77-82kWh battery pack. That said.. in an effort to be factual with the points I present. Still must point out that you can drive the cheaper MME.. further than you can drive the more expensive MYLR or MYP. Just don't pay attention to efficiency.
If you can find one at MSRP. Many are $10k over. And you have to drive a Mustang.... :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: mangrove79