Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model Y Performance normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP mentioned almost exclusively supercharging. If this is the case, wouldn’t battery preconditioning eat up battery life?
@jcanoe didn't directly answer you question although everything he said is true - but yes, if you are navigating to a Supercharger or on a road tri and preparing to stop at a planned SC stop, then the car may precondition. If it does, you energy usage will be greater. It depends, as noted, on the battery temp in terms of how long it may precondition, if at all.

Slightly off topic/question.
Would Tesla navigation system will route you longer ways/detour to the supercharger to precondition the car (or complete the preconditioning cycle)? I was in my friends house where I have never been to and the car made me go 3 miles more (made me u-turn) to get to the charger, which was less than 1/4 miles.

Slightly off topic/question.
Would Tesla navigation system will route you longer ways/detour to the supercharger to precondition the car (or complete the preconditioning cycle)? I was in my friends house where I have never been to and the car made me go 3 miles more (made me u-turn) to get to the charger, which was less than 1/4 miles.
Not sure, but it definitely does some strange routing for me. When I drive to my parents in Saratoga Springs, NY, I would normally take the NJ Turnpike to the Garden State Parkway to the NYS Thruway. Tesla Nav always wants me to take the NJ Turnpike much further to the Northeast, take Route 80 west over the GSP then north. So 2 sides of the triangle vs the hypotenuse. Either way it has me stop at the same SC in Kingston NY. I usually just go the way I want and the car adjusts.

Least my LR in 68 degree I can hang around 268Wh/mi. 20” Induction wheels, people, bags and 47 degrees I’ve seen that hit 341Wh/mi.

Aug 2021 to now average watt-hour 291. I knew the inductions would cost me some range.

Something like Tezlab shows off efficiency of the drive. I normally sit around 85-90%. Step on it or speed and watch that dip to 70%. Sit in the car for a hour using HVAC and I’ve hit 65% in the winter.

I just run on percent for SoC due to all this. All the advertised watt-hour is based on that 68 degree, moderate speed, flat terrain.

EnergyCalc hooks onto fueleconomy.gov to also obtain watt hour data which for my car was 289. Not sure if they really break down gemani vs Inductions but they do have the 21” on the MYP.

Last edited:
I find three things are really killing the range.

1) Climate, don't leave it on if you don't need to. I always put it on "Auto" and when the temperature is right I turn the climate off completely.

2) Opening windows will affect your efficiency a lot more than you think because of the drag it adds.

3) Not driving on Chill Mode. I personally don't use this but I know if I do I will save more range. Also the stop and go at red to green light. Go gentle on the accelerator.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
BOOM 💥 Spot on.. I’ve had my MYP for about six weeks and just returned from my first long trip; Corona CA. to Chandler AZ. Granddaughter’ graduation.

Unbelievable 😡 I’m not getting into long detail like you, but I can honestly say that there was a no way to get close to 200 miles per charge! Unless you drive under 60 mph😲🤦🏻‍♂️ a few times I charged to 100% and got as low as 5% while driving the Fwy. speed limit 70-80 mph..

Make things worse, there are no Tesla Supercharger in the greater West Valley are ( Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creak… 🤦🏻‍♂️😡
Completely disappointed in how many times I had to stop to charge.. and took me an extra 90 minutes then it normally does in my Prius..
Never again will I ever take a long trip on my MYP. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It was crazy!

Maybe just have an ICE, maybe a used pickup or something, for vacations and road trips. And enjoy the Y most of the time for your local stuff.

After waiting for the magical super long range EV truck I finally realized it made more sense for me to order an EV I really enjoy driving that I use most days locally and bust out my well used diesel pickup truck for road tripping.

Reactions: Msicario
Regarding 247 Wh/mi, I just said that's what it's 'supposed' to be with the range presented by the EPA.

I will attach photos as proof of 199 Wh/mi or slightly higher but significantly lower than what you say you get.

This was right after I picked up the car from my 2nd time at the service center.
Car starts at 42% and see that it is is draining 706 Wh/mi. Sorry, this is a screen shot from a video that I took right after getting the car back.
However, this was the first time that it ever drove with an amazing Wh/mi.
Second photo shows at 31% showing a consumption of 209 Wh/mi having driven 41 miles.

42% - 31% = 11%
11% of the 75 kWh battery = 8.25 kWh
8.25 kWh or 8,250 Wh / 209 Wh = 39.47 miles
If I got 41 miles out of 11%, that means its a bit lower than the average 209 Wh/mi.
I suppose I was going slow for rush hour traffic but not all of it was slow.

But even from these set of photos, since I charged up to 90% like I always do and it states I used 32 kWh, where is the other 12.25 kWh?
This time, the drain wasn't as bad but there's still a lot of extra drain going on.

I have no idea what is going on with this car.
I am getting a new MYLR, and I am curious about this thread. Do you have any new updates?

Just got a Model Y performance a week ago and tried for a quick state park camping trip. Two super chargers on the way. The gap between the first supercharger and second was 155 miles. Charged to 80% at the first and it said I was good to go and would arrive at the next with 30% battery. Had to turn around because 50 miles in it said we wouldn’t make it. Driving 75 on clear easy rural highway.

If that is “how it’s supposed to work” then the car blows.

Reactions: Msicario
Just got a Model Y performance a week ago and tried for a quick state park camping trip. Two super chargers on the way. The gap between the first supercharger and second was 155 miles. Charged to 80% at the first and it said I was good to go and would arrive at the next with 30% battery. Had to turn around because 50 miles in it said we wouldn’t make it. Driving 75 on clear easy rural highway.

Maybe a glitch. But with 80% you would’ve definitely made it to 155 miles given that AC is not cranking up and you stay around 65 miles. You do lose a bit of range at 75 miles.

I did 200 mile trip with 80% charge. Average 80-100 mph with AC on 6 fan speed. My wife and two kids in heavy car seats and lots of stuff in the trunk including the full size cooler.

First, get a better route planner, pay for the subscription, and let it interface directly with you car. It will give you much more accurate range info AND tell you what speed you need to drive to make your destination if conditions change. Tell it what charge level you need to be at your destination and it will take care of the rest.

The MYP has the worst range of any of the long range Teslas. Last range test I saw from a magazine, it went about 269 miles at a steady 70 mph and not in very hot weather. I think it was Edmunds who did it. I could be off by a few miles but it was close to that. That is going from 100% to 0% which you should basically never do.

Going faster will reduce your range just like an ICE car. There is some good info about the range hit out there when you increase the speed. The big, heavy 21" Ubers are not your friend for range.

My MY LR with 19's would go about 255 miles at 80 mph with AC on from about 100% to 0 in slightly hilly terrain and with some crosswinds. If I slowed down to 65, I could go about 310.

So the tires are definitely hurting your range and speed is the other enemy. AC is fairly efficient and much more efficient than heating the car. Next time you are out on the highway, check your energy consumption and look at how many watt hours/mi you are using. Also use the energy screen to see what immediate impact your speed will have on your range. Maybe just slowing down 10 mph can help you get there.

First, get a better route planner, pay for the subscription, and let it interface directly with you car. It will give you much more accurate range info AND tell you what speed you need to drive to make your destination if conditions change. Tell it what charge level you need to be at your destination and it will take care of the rest.

The MYP has the worst range of any of the long range Teslas. Last range test I saw from a magazine, it went about 269 miles at a steady 70 mph and not in very hot weather. I think it was Edmunds who did it. I could be off by a few miles but it was close to that. That is going from 100% to 0% which you should basically never do.

Going faster will reduce your range just like an ICE car. There is some good info about the range hit out there when you increase the speed. The big, heavy 21" Ubers are not your friend for range.

My MY LR with 19's would go about 255 miles at 80 mph with AC on from about 100% to 0 in slightly hilly terrain and with some crosswinds. If I slowed down to 65, I could go about 310.

So the tires are definitely hurting your range and speed is the other enemy. AC is fairly efficient and much more efficient than heating the car. Next time you are out on the highway, check your energy consumption and look at how many watt hours/mi you are using. Also use the energy screen to see what immediate impact your speed will have on your range. Maybe just slowing down 10 mph can help you get there.
Not sure if your statement is true. Based on my recent trip it seems my car is defect or has issues of getting better range Edmunds has been biased against Tesla for some time now.

"I did 200 mile trip with 80% charge. Average 80-100 mph with AC on 6 fan speed. My wife and two kids in heavy car seats and lots of stuff in the trunk including the full size cooler".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: buddhafree
Not sure if your statement is true. Based on my recent trip it seems my car is defect or has issues of getting better range Edmunds has been biased against Tesla for some time now.

"I did 200 mile trip with 80% charge. Average 80-100 mph with AC on 6 fan speed. My wife and two kids in heavy car seats and lots of stuff in the trunk including the full size cooler".
Apparently you have a unicorn. A key missing piece of info is the outside temps which would determine heat/cooling load. Fan speed is irrelevant (mostly) compared to the load because the AC/heat. You have remarkably low Wh/mi give the speeds you are averaging, even better than my 3 which is a more efficient car. As a side note, if on flat level ground, the extra load of the car doesn't have huge impact on range. It has more of an impact on range if you constantly have to accelerate it like in stop and go driving. There is a marginal increase in rolling resistance but at speed the biggest drag is aero.

Here is some interesting data compiled over a lot of versions. No data on the Y but a lot of data compiled for the 3, at various speeds. At 80 mph, the M3 LR on 18" aeros has about 254 mile range if going from 100% to 0. My experience has been my Y was considerably less efficient than 3.

So taking the model 3's numbers, and going 80 mph, using 80% of the charge, it would work out to 203 miles. Hence your Model Y must be even more efficient than a Model 3 that has less frontal are, better drag coefficient, and more efficient wheels and driving up to 20 mph slower than your peak avg of 100 mph. That is why I think you have a unicorn. Or your route was downhill with a tailwind that negated the advantages of the 3 over the Y. I don't know what version but of Y you have but the numbers look far worse for the P version. You can look at the table below and see the real world difference at least for the 3 LR vs P. The bigger wheels are the real killers of range.

1654995937985.png

Wow I always thought Edmunds was biased but didn’t think it’s this bad. Thanks for sharing.