Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my MYLR battery drain excessive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the car a week ago (4/15 build), basically kept it hooked up to a charger (set max charge to 50%) in my garage while I waited for my PPF appointment.

I'm semi-using this as a worst case scenario test case, but wanted to know if its typical.
Settings:
Sentry = ON
Prevent Overheat = ON
Not connected to any wifi

When I dropped the car off, it had 144mi remaining. It's been there 2 days and now has 92mi remaing. That means it lost 52mi in 2 days (or ~8%/day). I'm sure sentry mode was activated a LOT since it was parking inside a shop and I'm sure people were walking around it all day Fri/Sat. I'm going to pick it up on Monday afternoon and should have enough charge to make it home. The owner of the PPF shop offered to plug the car in (120V), but I told him not to since I want to do this test.

My questions are:

1) Does Sentry Mode being activated (not just "ON") drain the battery more?
2) Are these typical results?

Last edited:
1) Does Sentry Mode being activated (not just "ON") drain the battery more?
2) Are these typical results?
Yes, leaving Sentry Mode On will drain the battery faster than if you leave Sentry Mode Off at your home, work and favorite locations. Triggering Sentry Mode alerts will fill up the USB storage device but it will not use more of the battery. For comparison, when the Tesla Model Y vehicle is powered on, as when Sentry Mode is active, the Model Y continuously draws ~200 to 250W of power from the 12V battery, this requires the Tesla vehicle to frequently charge the 12V battery. When Sentry Mode is a turned off, as at your home location, the Tesla vehicle will enter sleep mode after a short time. The power draw is ~25W when the Tesla vehicle is in sleep mode, almost 10X less than when the Tesla vehicle is powered on.

I would suggest plugging in the Tesla Model Y now so that the vehicle has enough time to add some charge before you pick up the vehicle. Charging at 120V is very slow, adding just ~3 or 4 miles per hour at best and you won't want to wait to pick up the vehicle only to find that you need to charge to make it home or to a Supercharger.

Upvote 1
That sounds about right. From what I've heard, Sentry mode can drain up to 10% every 24 hours. I've never done the test myself (I only use it every now and then when not at work or home). Checking the app a lot will have an effect on battery drain too, as well as using third party apps that ping it on a regular basis (TeslaFi, Stats etc...).

I don't really see anything shocking in your results.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Upvote 0
I don't think the Tesla Model Y will let the battery go below 20% before turning off Sentry Mode; this is true for Scheduled Departure, Preconditioning and some of the other settings.
that's what I understand, too. I only live 14mi away from the ppf place and have other things to drive so I'm not worried. this is the rare case where the car isn't at home for an extended period of time. seemed like a decent test case. glad to hear it's within spec

Upvote 0
Going to go ahead and add my MYLR woes here instead of making my own topic. I have a slightly different set up. Rarely use sentry mode, never use cabin overheat protection, and I am too not connected to WiFi(though not sure this matters?). I have been loving everything but the range on my MY. I feel like I am lucky to even get 250 miles, on an advertised 356. Yes I know weather, driving conditions, etc all affect range but jesus. I live in Texas, so cold weather isn't a problem, the problem seems to be most highways are rated for 70-75 MPH. And it seems if the tesla goes above 60/65, all bets are off and your range goes into the gutter.
1624222972006.png

This just doesn't feel right... Is this every one elses experience?

Upvote 0
Going to go ahead and add my MYLR woes here instead of making my own topic. I have a slightly different set up. Rarely use sentry mode, never use cabin overheat protection, and I am too not connected to WiFi(though not sure this matters?). I have been loving everything but the range on my MY. I feel like I am lucky to even get 250 miles, on an advertised 356. Yes I know weather, driving conditions, etc all affect range but jesus. I live in Texas, so cold weather isn't a problem, the problem seems to be most highways are rated for 70-75 MPH. And it seems if the tesla goes above 60/65, all bets are off and your range goes into the gutter.
View attachment 675643
Totally normal for Texas highway speeds.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Upvote 0
View attachment 675643

Yes (there is absolutely, positively, 100% nothing wrong with your car, and it is absolutely, positively 100% normal).

Also, battery usage at 75MPH is not "a little" more than 65%, and no matter where you live, the battery can be cold when you first start driving. I have a 100+ page (not post, "pages" thread in the model 3 section I could link you to on the same exact topic, which has been going on since before there were model 3s and Ys, with model S and X drivers.

Upvote 0