Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my new solar working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean I don’t think there is anything to worry about, I’m sure Tesla will get it resolved. But not being able to get it working can definitely be frustrating. If you wanted to you could download the solaredge app called “SetApp” and use that to see more about what is going on with your inverter.
How do you connect the app to the inverter? I don't have any login info

OP, this might be a silly question. Did Tesla show it working for you on your app before they left after installing the panels and 2 Powerwalls? They did demo it to me and also disconnected the grid to show the seamless transition.
They showed me the off grid thing but I didn't see if solar was generating because it was night time when he demo. They finished around 8p.

I'm definitely going to ask the Tesla electrician on Saturday when he comes to finish the work.

They showed me the off grid thing but I didn't see if solar was generating because it was night time when he demo. They finished around 8p.

I'm definitely going to ask the Tesla electrician on Saturday when he comes to finish the work.

then most likely they haven’t yet commissioned the inverter. They finished after sunset on my install also and had to return the next morning.

Reactions: SMAlset
Ok update.

They weren't done with the setup so the inverters weren't working. They came out today to install the slow starter for my AC unit(so it won't do a huge load on the powerwall and trip it's circuits). And they finished the inverter set up. Painted my conduits with house colors. And showed me on the app how to do everything. He said I messed with the settings before and some how broke the powerwalls. The powerwalls weren't seeing any wifi for some reason and couldn't get online. He later figured that because I changed some settings, it didn't jive and needed a reboot and set the powerwall mode to backup only. He said leave it like that until we finish with building inspection/PTO.

He saw the PW were down to 18% and said don't leave the solar PV on otherwise if the inspector comes and sees it being used without inspection, then we would incur a fine. I promised him I'll shut if off in the afternoon.

Solar worked well. Downside is my roof is small, I installed on both south and north facing(there's barely any obtuse photons hitting it) so my max output was only 2.7kw with 9 panels on south, 8 on north.

PV is gonna remain off until I get an inspection. I'm glad we are joining the green energy crowd and hopefully help a little in lowering CO2 and global warming. Also the fact I can give the finger to PG&E as they increase their rates yearly to pay for all the lawsuits they faced during the many fires from the last 5 years.

Reactions: SMAlset
Our electrician was working alone late to finish up some things in our panel. Before he left we asked him about commissioning the system after having read on here it was needed to be done to be up and running. He said he wasn’t the guy on the team who normally did that but tried unsuccessfully. Pretty much everything else was done. He was there like your guy until 8pm or later. He said we had someone scheduled to come out for some “maintenance” issues, think it included the neurios and possibly the soft start device, so people should probably ask before they leave what work may still be needed before inspection and PTO. They really aren’t expecting you to be operating it prior to finalizing things so I think don’t involve the homeowner on what work still needs to be done. Those of us here probably want to know more than their average customer. On day of inspection the next TE guy showed up prior to the scheduled appointment time with the City, looked over and tested everything, and applied the red warning stickers. We passed with no issues.

I wouldn’t worry about the install though but understand spending a lot for the system and the concern it might not be working. It does help to know ahead of time not everything has been done so you don’t spend time wondering. We went over with our guy what was on the list to be completed and then when we got our next scheduled appointment went over the list with them as a double check. Made us feel better at least.

Last edited: