Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my P85D battery toast now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually that pack can potentially do almost 300 miles in a non-P S on the higher end of the quality range...
How so? I have a 2014 S85 single motor, just like @erw698 described. The original rating was only 265 rated miles. (And with several years, it should be a little below that now) How would a just barely larger capacity of a 90 kWh sized battery (which I don't think is a full 5 kWh more) bump that up a full 35 extra rated miles? That doesn't make sense to me. Are you thinking it's a D version, where the efficiency was a bit better with the dual motors?

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
How so? I have a 2014 S85 single motor, just like @erw698 described. The original rating was only 265 rated miles. (And with several years, it should be a little below that now) How would a just barely larger capacity of a 90 kWh sized battery (which I don't think is a full 5 kWh more) bump that up a full 35 extra rated miles? That doesn't make sense to me. Are you thinking it's a D version, where the efficiency was a bit better with the dual motors?

The 2022 350V 90 packs have ~86-88 kWh usable new if fully unlocked. That's 291 to 298 miles rated range on a RWD... over 300 on a dual motor non-P.

Serial #: T22Dxxxxxxx / HWID: 94 Usable Energy: 86.9 kWh / CAC: 292.5 Ah (Min: 291.6 @ 59 / Max: 293.8 @ 66)

Info from the most recent one I've seen ^

The 2022 350V 90 packs have ~86-88 kWh usable new if fully unlocked.
Sure, that energy difference tracks appropriately. The old "85" ones had about 81 usable kWh.

That's 291 to 298 miles rated range on a RWD
That's the part that still doesn't make sense. It was 265 from the ~81 usable. The scaling isn't tracking. How are you getting 30 extra rated miles from 5 extra kWh? The old RWD cars didn't get 6 rated miles per kWh. More like 3.

check with a CAN tool to see voltages at 100% to know for sure.

indeed, a foolproof way. 👍 ScanMyTesla will report SoC and brick voltage and if your charge level happens to be 80% or more, you can figure out pretty quickly if it's being capped/derated - for example, 90% is normally around 4.06V and 80% around 3.97V, give or take, and 100% is of course 4.2V. So anything below these, like 4.1V at 100%, means the pack is being capped/derated...

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
Actually that pack can potentially do almost 300 miles in a non-P S on the higher end of the quality range... would have to check with a CAN tool to see voltages at 100% to know for sure.
This is all I'm getting at full charge. About 91%. This is from this morning
The 2022 350V 90 packs have ~86-88 kWh usable new if fully unlocked. That's 291 to 298 miles rated range on a RWD... over 300 on a dual motor non-P.

Serial #: T22Dxxxxxxx / HWID: 94 Usable Energy: 86.9 kWh / CAC: 292.5 Ah (Min: 291.6 @ 59 / Max: 293.8 @ 66)

Info from the most recent one I've seen ^
That is true. My canbus Reader(best $20 I've ever spent) shows 87.9kwh. Subtract 5kwh buffer leaves 82.9

Original 85 had 87.5 usable as we know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728-074811_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220728-074811_Gallery.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 194
EU rated nas

That is true. My canbus Reader(best $20 I've ever spent) shows 87.9kwh. Subtract 5kwh buffer leaves 82.9
Yeah, it's software locked. The 87.9 kWh is usable. The buffer is added to that, unless something in that app is doing math somewhere.

Original 85s were more like 77 kWh usable.

So this is a NEW battery? Not reman? how did I get so lucky?
Mixed bag. Yeah, it's new, but it's lower voltage (350V max vs 400V)... so you need more current to get the same things done, slightly more wear on HV components as a result. Probably not enough to worry about, but worth noting.

--

In theory, at "100%" on these software locked packs you can regen down a mountain to get > 100%. :cool:

Reactions: ElectricIAC
EU rated nas

Yeah, it's software locked. The 87.9 kWh is usable. The buffer is added to that, unless something in that app is doing math somewhere.

Original 85s were more like 77 kWh usable.

Mixed bag. Yeah, it's new, but it's lower voltage (350V max vs 400V)... so you need more current to get the same things done, slightly more wear on HV components as a result. Probably not enough to worry about, but worth noting.

--

In theory, at "100%" on these software locked packs you can regen down a mountain to get > 100%. :cool:
Thanks Jason,
Yes typo I meant 77.5 usable from original 85. For now I'm really happy with Tesla, at least as far as this daily driver is concerned. After reading about all the different experiences on here, I had Myself convinced my replacement was going to be some kind of used cell Sausage that would last just long enough to get me out of warranty. Especially after Dedham sc was telling me the battery was working fine when it definitely wasn't.

Its interesting to note that it was the sc advise to perform repeated charge cycles to fix the range algorithm that ended up being the kiss of death and elicited the "max charge level reduced" alert. It would have eventually Occured I'm sure but before warranty expired? who Knows.

A curious observation about the capping/de-rating issue and the advice we provide to our customers

(TO BE CLEAR we are NOT talking about some of the more recent (ongoing?) debacles involving Tesla overreach, and their seemingly loose familiarity with the concept of private property... we are just saying, it's out there, and here's how best to look at it/deal with it)

the reality is that capping/derating is not far removed from what Tesla owners are already doing with their cars on a daily basis - limiting their charge to 80%-90%.

take for example, when we come across a customer's car whose pack is capped at 4.1V, we suggest to them that instead of setting their daily charge limit to their usual 80%, that they set it to 90%, up to a max range of 200 miles* - or if they normally set it to 90%, then to set it to 95%, up to a max of 205-210 miles*. on a capped battery, increasing the charge limit to 90%-95% in this way is functionally equivalent to setting the charge limit to 80%-90% on a previously uncapped battery. The advantage of course is that by bumping up their daily charge limit in this way, they get the same daily range that they would on an uncapped battery, while still preventing undue range degradation that would otherwise result from upping the daily charge limit

(curiously, if you play this out to it's limit, capping truly impacts only the first leg of any trip - you lose that top 6%-9% of range by not being able to charge up to 4.2V (never desirable we agree, especially when it's done without, ahem, the owners knowledge or permission...). But thereafter every subsequent fast charge stop is already going to be 'capped' at 4.1V or less.)

*note we always suggest a max range limit when setting the daily charge limit, in the event the battery is uncapped at some later date. Moreover, 200+ miles on hand is usually more than plenty for daily driving.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting your SMT data. If you charge to 100% your range should show "Full rated range: 297 miles", and that's great. No capping at the top for you.

Yes, I've noticed that in two other cases reported in other threads, where owners charged to 100% but the SMT output showed 91.1%. Not sure how to explain that, except that maybe an indication of capping and that 100% is actually 91% in these scans?
This is smt screen shot at full charge.

273 miles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728-074630.jpg
    Screenshot_20220728-074630.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 93
This is smt screen shot at full charge.

273 miles.

Your "Rated Range" of 273 miles is the Usable Remaining at current SOC of 91.1%, whereas your "Full rated range" shows to be 297 miles, since, I believe, the "Full Rated Range" is the 100% usable calculated range (if your pack is charged fully).

Questions for you:
Did you take the screenshot after your car was fully charged?
When you charged to 100%, what did your car report your full range was?
What is your cell voltage at 100% charge according to SMT?

Last edited:
@erw698 notwithstanding any underlying question/concern about your battery being capped - it does appear to be - you may want to consider upping your charge limit to 90%, probably up to a max range 230 miles, to capture the additional capacity that even a capped 90 kWh pack still provides. see previous note above.

Last edited:
@erw698 notwithstanding any underlying question/concern about your battery being capped - it does appear to be - you may want to consider upping your charge limit to 90%, probably up to a max range 230 miles, to capture the additional capacity that even a capped 90 kWh pack still provides. see previous note above.
I use my car for long distance about once per week. I usually schedule a full charge for my departure. So it is great to know I can full charge to 273 miles and the battery is only getting a 90% charge with minimal impact to battery longevity....

Reactions: Recell
correct from invoice:
ASY-HV BATTERY, 90KWH, T3, SX(1014116-00-C)

charged to max but only got 272 miles so somehow they have derated the battery so I cannot get the full storage capacity. So I am guessing that when I charge to 100%, I am actually charging to 94%?
If you have SMT should be clear if you are getting near 4.18 VPC. No need to go to 100%, trend should be obvious as you near 95% or so.