Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my P85D battery toast now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got towed 150 miles from Supercharger to Tesla service center when my battery would not charge. I got stranded far from home. This is my third night in a hotel.

I watched my car charging from my AP when Tesla was working on it in their service center. I don't know if they were performing a test or trying to charge, but I watched the range stay at 65 for about 8-10 minutes, then go to 66 for several minutes, and then move back to 65. All the time the charging cord was lit up and connected to the car in the AP's graphic. About 10-15 minutes later I opened the AP and the range had moved to 68.

A Tesla rep called and I asked how my battery was charging. He said "fine."

I told him it didn't look like it was charging fine and explained. He wanted to know if I did a time stamp.

Anybody got an idea what's is going on with this battery? Mileage is 91,000. It is a December, 2014 build.

I've had a lot of trouble with it lately, like pull into supercharger, range is very low at 20-something and the charging rate stays at 117 mi/hour for the duration of the charge, whereas the charging should slow down as the battery fills up.

Is it covered under warranty? Did the car stay at 68 miles of range or fully charge (to 250+ miles of range)?

If you need to get the main li-ion battery fixed, I recommend that you ask for a low cost Tesla repair option (or free if it's under warranty). These third-party companies can help also for out of warranty service:

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

www.electrifiedgarage.com

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
What percentage was the battery when it showed 66 miles of range?

What kw rate of charge was it getting?

Was the air-conditioner running?

We are missing a lot of information. It very easily could have been on a low power outlet while also running a lot of accessories. That would make the range seem to fluctuate.

I don't use the range values anymore. Just percent. Range is too wonky.

Is it covered under warranty? Did the car stay at 68 miles of range or fully charge (to 250+ miles of range)?

If you need to get the main li-ion battery fixed, I recommend that you ask for a low cost Tesla repair option (or free if it's under warranty). These third-party companies can help also for out of warranty service:

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

Thanks for the links. The battery is under warranty and did charge to 225 by middle of next day, Sunday, more than 24 hours charging.

It would not charge at all for me at a supercharger. The previous supercharger the rate was a constant 117 mi/hr and took 1 hr and 45 minutes to go from 22 to 185, when my screen released me to make it 128 miles to next supercharger. At the service center it charged sporadically then reached 223 on Sunday afternoon, more than 24 hours later.

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

I have an extended warranty.
It did not stay at 68, but I did not continue for more than 10-15 minutes, live, watching it charge. Thanks for the links.

What percentage was the battery when it showed 66 miles of range?

What kw rate of charge was it getting?

Was the air-conditioner running?

We are missing a lot of information. It very easily could have been on a low power outlet while also running a lot of accessories. That would make the range seem to fluctuate.

I don't use the range values anymore. Just percent. Range is too wonky.
I don't know percentage at 66 on the range.
I do not know the KW at 66. I took a screen shot at 80 range, but that photo does not show kw.
I don't know if Tesla had the a/c on.

2 days a go the "minimum battery charge level reduced" Tesla is telling me i need a new battery...that new battery cost $13K....then they tell me the battery they will replace it with will only charge to 150 miles,,,,I have a P85 2013 modle S....my current battery charges to 245mile,,,I asked them why can't they replace the old batter Pac with a similar one if not better....they said they don't do that....???? so i contact "RECELL" near Autin TX They will replace or completed repair my current 85 pac for $8500 - which includes shipping my car back and forth from California....has any use RECELL?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
then they tell me the battery they will replace it with will only charge to 150 miles,,,,I have a P85 2013 modle S....my current battery charges to 245mile,,,I asked them why can't they replace the old batter Pac with a similar one if not better....they said they don't do that....????
This makes no sense at all. I think something is getting lost in translation.

2 days a go the "minimum battery charge level reduced" Tesla is telling me i need a new battery...that new battery cost $13K
OK, this part sounds about right. Refurb packs are going for about 12 or 13 thousand.
.then they tell me the battery they will replace it with will only charge to 150 miles
Uh, no. Something is not correct there.
I concur with @ucmndd . Someone misspoke or misheard.

And if you're going to go with a third party, I wouldn't trust anyone other than @wk057 to do battery replacements on these. That's what I plan to do whenever my 2014 S85 goes out.

ok...update...telsa says my 2013 p85 battery needs to be replaced,,,they are gathering an accurate quote as we speak...$12-$20K Recell is quoting me $9K Max including shipping my car to and from TX. Has anyone used ReCell?? Has anyone used @wk057? Lastly....Tesla and Recell are telling me 2 full months before they can get to the car because the battery pack are not avaliable and no one has them in inventory.....2 months??? How long befor my currently battery goes completely dead...and won't charge at all? (I can still charge the current battery to 100 miles)

We've got over a dozen customer vehicles in our shop at the moment. Turnaround has generally been a few weeks on 85 replacements lately, with a few edge case exceptions. Demand is pretty high, but we by far handle more of these batteries than anyone besides Tesla so we've been doing pretty well overall getting these cars turned around. Bottleneck on our side is labor, really.

If your car is drivable now, and giving errors... stop using it get it to wherever you choose to have it serviced as soon as possible, regardless of if that's at Tesla, Recell, or us at 057. (Obviously I'll suggest you use 057 😉) Once it stops working entirely, your transport costs go much higher, and you'll likely be faced with other costs (12V replacement, occasional damage to some LV modules that have problems with extended undervoltage).

Not sure where your car is, but worst case transport cost to us is about $1900 each way for a drivable car from the furthest in the continental US (thanks to current ridiculous diesel prices). Depending on the exact issue, we can usually beat anyone on service costs, with 85 swaps being as low as $3000 + core pack. Usually a bit higher, in the 4-5k range. On the 2013s, we've seen it all, and a lot of the issues are repairable, which would be less cost than a replacement from anyone.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest shooting us a note with your errors and VIN on our contact page at 057tech.com, and we can see what we can do. Generally the first step is getting the car here, which we can arrange for you, so we can fully quote the best options based on the condition of your core pack. If you decide not to use our services after that, we'll help you arrange transport to wherever else. Or, we'll have your car taken to the local Tesla service center at no cost. We're pretty confident you won't find a better price, though.

@coachdeanayers, our backlog is typically about 3-4 weeks out, but has been stretched out to around 5-6 weeks of late, but not because of pack availability - that's Tesla's issue. As @wk057 mentioned, demand is high, especially as a new slate of 2014's start coming in, and recent COVID exposure has caused us to slow our operational throughput in late July. We expect to be back on track as we work through our August backlog, and we of course appreciate everyone's understanding and patience. 👍

Last edited:
My own recent experience, 2014 85 with about 85k miles. Battery quit. SC advised I would get a battery with capacity of a new 85kWh battery or better.

Sure enough I got a reman 90. scanmytesla says I have 87.8 hrs minus 5 hour buffer leaves 82.8 usable. I have not fully charged yet however 1 had 264 miles at 96% yesterday which seems a little light for what app(82.8 usable) is saying. Doing a slow full charge now to ferret out any BMS range calculation issues.

Suffice it to say I am super happy. For now. Watching closely as I have heard these don't have the longevity of new.

I think the 100-200mv cell voltage imbalance under load is the first tell.

I's like to know what others think...

Reactions: aerodyne
My own recent experience, 2014 85 with about 85k miles. Battery quit. SC advised I would get a battery with capacity of a new 85kWh battery or better.

Sure enough I got a reman 90. scanmytesla says I have 87.8 hrs minus 5 hour buffer leaves 82.8 usable. I have not fully charged yet however 1 had 264 miles at 96% yesterday which seems a little light for what app(82.8 usable) is saying. Doing a slow full charge now to ferret out any BMS range calculation issues.

Suffice it to say I am super happy. For now. Watching closely as I have heard these don't have the longevity of new.

I think the 100-200mv cell voltage imbalance under load is the first tell.

I's like to know what others think...

Are you sure that's a reman 90? Would you copy/paste your battery part number or a picture of its label? Thanks.

Last edited:
correct from invoice:
ASY-HV BATTERY, 90KWH, T3, SX(1014116-00-C)

charged to max but only got 272 miles so somehow they have derated the battery so I cannot get the full storage capacity. So I am guessing that when I charge to 100%, I am actually charging to 94%?