Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my plan Feasible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of selling my ICE 5 series...I'm wanting a Model 3 and am in the dilemma of what to get in the mean time. What do you think of this plan?

Model S 70 with leather seats financed for 84 months at %1.99 ($72,500) I'm looking at payments of $925 a month.
Take delivery in April and guaranteed to be in the S for at least 12 months...not sure if to calculate payments out to September or later but just as an example 17 months total. ($15,725 cost of ownership) of course subject to change as each month I don't have a Model 3

-$7500 tax credit and about -$1400 (conservative) in gas savings over those 17 months puts me at a discount of $523.53 per month making my effective monthly payment $401.47

OBVIOUSLY these numbers change against me each month I don't have a 3 but that is ok I can afford it...my question is what will my depreciation look like? or trade in be like when I want to go from the S to the Model 3? Can anyone comment on how Tesla does it? Alternatively if I did a lease would Tesla allow me to trade into the Model 3 without penalty? (highly doubtful)

Yes, if you are only buying for a short time, get a CPO. You will take it in the shorts with DPN big time! A good 35-50% You need to factor that in. Factoring that in, you will end up paying much, much more. These things drop like a rock out the door because they are new tech and updating faster than any other car in the market.

I agree with CH-On. Deprecation will hit hard the first 2 years for sure. Better off buying a CPO if you thinking about doing that. I was considering Model 3 also, but couldn't wait any longer so pulled the trigger on Model S 70. hehe

Yes, if you are only buying for a short time, get a CPO. You will take it in the shorts with DPN big time! A good 35-50% You need to factor that in. Factoring that in, you will end up paying much, much more. These things drop like a rock out the door because they are new tech and updating faster than any other car in the market.
e

I will look into CPO. My only question is does the tech in the previous year model match that of a 16 base? As in does the display and controls get updated? (Im not concerned with tech such as autopolilot, more so the standard technology)

The display and controls have been constant since at least the Autopilot introduction, maybe sometime before. I don't think there's any visible difference between September 2014 and now. One exception to this is the addition of LTE connectivity around the middle of 2015. Cars before that point only have 3G. You can upgrade for $500, or just use 3G, it still works fine.