Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my roadster a 2010 or 2011?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Tesla didn't do model years, and instead did revisions (1.5, 2.0, and 2.5). However, bluebooks, auto-sale websites, etc, all work off of model year. So it would be helpful to know what I can list my car as.

My car is a 2.5 with a construction date in December of 2010. I believe the build number is 1159. One of the auto-sale websites (I believe AutoTrader) did a VIN check and listed it as a 2010. I also have a couple Tesla service records from way back that list it as a 2010. However, the majority of my Tesla service records are showing it as a 2011, so it seems like the consensus from Tesla is "2011". And given than 2.5s were started in late 2010 just like most manufacturer's 2011 models, that lends support that it's a 2011.

Are there any particular legal rules or industry standards that determine what a car can be listed as? How should I describe my car when I need to use a year instead of a model number? I don't want to mislead or get into trouble, but I also don't want to short-change myself in terms of valuation.

Well here's another wrench in the logic. My "2008" Roadster 1.5 was made in April 2009, not 2008. However its classified and well known to all as a 2008. I really wouldn't be too concerned about the year honestly and its just one of those things you just have to explain to a potential buyer.

What year does your insurance have it listed as? That's another reference point. I'd also email Tesla Corporate to see if anyone there can make some sense out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak